Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142187 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #550 on: February 09, 2008, 01:49:45 am »
In Australia, a viewing is held prior to the funeral. It is exactly what it implies, the viewing of the deceased in the coffin, prior to interment.

After the funeral/interment of the coffin, comes the wake. The wake can take many forms from formal and dignified to highly alcoholic and out of control. It all depends on the tradition within each individual family. So-called "Irish" wakes are loud, boozy and out of control.

My family tradition is not to have a viewing (we don't have open coffins in my family tradition). After the funeral, there is a wake at the home of the next of kin of the deceased, consisting of tea, coffee, sandwiches, cake, scones, etc. It's always very dignified and respectful.

Those who hold "Irish" wakes maintain they like to send off their loved ones with a joyous party. Unfortunately, they often become so boozy that fights sometimes ensue.  :-\

The word "wake" here in the US (or in my part anyway) is used synonymously with "visitation", "calling" or "viewing", which means the viewing of the deceased person in a casket. In the Midwest we usually call it "Visitation" although I hear many older people around here still refer to it as a wake.

Thanks so much for providing us with all these links and reports from Australia. We appreciate it!!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #551 on: February 09, 2008, 01:55:45 am »
Wiki says that wakes in the English tradition are held prior to a funeral and in modern times are synonymous with 'visitation' or 'visiting hours', but in Northern England, Australia, and New Zealand wakes are held after the funeral as a celebration of the deceased's life and are 'wet' events, i.e involve drinking.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #552 on: February 09, 2008, 02:09:19 am »

I always thought the reason it was called a 'wake' was because the mourners held watch around a body in a coffin, waiting, in case the person 'woke up', which means it would have to take place prior to the internment.

Unless I'm mistaken?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #553 on: February 09, 2008, 02:21:44 am »
More details:

The family has left the memorial service and there will be a cremation later today in Fremantle, then a wake tonight.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/film/friends-mourn-heath/2008/02/09/1202234216831.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #554 on: February 09, 2008, 02:38:15 am »

Is it just me?  That I think it strange that the family - including Michelle - aren't wearing black to a funeral?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #555 on: February 09, 2008, 03:17:55 am »
Is it just me?  That I think it strange that the family - including Michelle - aren't wearing black to a funeral?

I was thinking about that.  The outfits we've seen so far do have some black in them, and no actual color.  It's hot out, it's summer.  Sounds like they are also going to the beach.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #556 on: February 09, 2008, 03:23:23 am »
I was thinking about that.  The outfits we've seen so far do have some black in them, and no actual color.  It's hot out, it's summer.  Sounds like they are also going to the beach.

Maybe the outfit means something.  I remember being aghast at Princess Diana's funeral when Prince Charles wore a blue suit.  Turned out later that that was her favorite suit and she liked it on him.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #557 on: February 09, 2008, 03:30:14 am »
Wiki says that wakes in the English tradition are held prior to a funeral and in modern times are synonymous with 'visitation' or 'visiting hours', but in Northern England, Australia, and New Zealand wakes are held after the funeral as a celebration of the deceased's life and are 'wet' events, i.e involve drinking.

That's what I meant when I said maybe it means something different in Australia.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #558 on: February 09, 2008, 03:33:48 am »
From Wundeground (weather):  Right now it's 4:30pm Perth time and it's 82°F / 28°C.  I wouldn't want to be wearing black if I didn't have to.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #559 on: February 09, 2008, 03:38:12 am »
From Wundeground (weather):  Right now it's 4:30pm Perth time and it's 82°F / 28°C.  I wouldn't want to be wearing black if I didn't have to.

Heh.  In Texas 82 F is a lovely day.  I'd have no problem wearing a full black suit, complete with hat.  It's when it's 95F that things start getting hot.