Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142349 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #560 on: February 09, 2008, 03:39:56 am »
I read in Elle a while back (I think it was Elle) that it really isn't necessary to wear black to a funeral these days, especially during the summer, and it IS summer in Australia now. Any toned down color is appropriate - pastels, earth tones, beige, egg shell, gray, and black. Combining too many colors should be avoided. Keep it simple and respectful.

Red is definitely a color you want to avoid wearing to a funeral. Other bright colors should be avoided too.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #561 on: February 09, 2008, 04:24:09 am »
Just to enlighten you about what we wear here in Austraia to a funeral......most people DONT wear black anymore.....it seems that any clothing is suitable and obviously as long as its tasteful.

In a lot of cases where it is a funeral for young people, a lot of the mourners are also young and a lot of the young blokes wear jeans and a nice shirt.

And it is summer here so casual clothing is obviously more comfortable....

The colour of ones clothing, is not considered a matter of importance at all.

And the wake, is a gathering of the mourners, usually after the funeral.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #562 on: February 09, 2008, 06:30:59 am »
wow... that is exactly the opposite of the tradition in my particular slice of English culture - wakes are always held the day or evening before a funeral, if at all, and in the last century no wake has been carried out on anyone in my family, to my knowledge.  Thanks for filling that in, Kerry!
Wiki says that wakes in the English tradition are held prior to a funeral and in modern times are synonymous with 'visitation' or 'visiting hours', but in Northern England, Australia, and New Zealand wakes are held after the funeral as a celebration of the deceased's life and are 'wet' events, i.e involve drinking.

Well any wake I have ever been to has always been AFTER the funeral - like Kerry said its about thanking people for being there, celebrating a life, and catching up with people.

I wonder if Michelle will attend the 10 person funeral?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

yb

« Reply #563 on: February 09, 2008, 06:57:13 am »

I wonder if Michelle will attend the 10 person funeral?

I would think Michelle was one of the 10 persons.  At first when there was report that Jake had arrived in Australia, I thought he might be one of them since he's the godfather of Matilda, but since he was not seen at all, I don't think he is one of them.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 09, 2008, 08:15:01 am »
I would think Michelle was one of the 10 persons.  At first when there was report that Jake had arrived in Australia, I thought he might be one of them since he's the godfather of Matilda, but since he was not seen at all, I don't think he is one of them.

I watched several television news broadcasts in Sydney tonight (Saturday) and most led with the story of Heath's funeral.

I didn't see Jake in any of them.

I read a report somewhere that said Jake had flown to Perth for the funeral.

Does anyone have an update on whether Jake was there or not?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #565 on: February 09, 2008, 10:39:08 am »
I read in Elle a while back (I think it was Elle) that it really isn't necessary to wear black to a funeral these days, especially during the summer, and it IS summer in Australia now. Any toned down color is appropriate - pastels, earth tones, beige, egg shell, gray, and black. Combining too many colors should be avoided. Keep it simple and respectful.

Red is definitely a color you want to avoid wearing to a funeral. Other bright colors should be avoided too.

knowing Heath's sartorial inclinations, I'm not sure he would mind very much what folks were wearing...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #566 on: February 09, 2008, 10:43:27 am »
knowing Heath's sartorial inclinations, I'm not sure he would mind very much what folks were wearing...

To lift a turn of phrase from Batman Returns:  Heath was oft inclined to show "contempt for the czars of fashion."
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline opinionista

« Reply #567 on: February 09, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

I agree.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #568 on: February 09, 2008, 10:55:58 am »
from the New York Daily News:

Honoring Heath Ledger Celebs, family remember fallen star at service

BY DAVID COHEN in Perth, Australia, and LEO STANDORA in New York
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Saturday, February 9th 2008, 4:00 AM

A star-studded funeral was held for actor Heath Ledger Saturday in the Australian hometown he left nearly 10 years ago to become a Hollywood heartthrob.

More than 700 people - many from Hollywood and others from the Australian sports, business, arts and entertainment worlds - gathered at the exclusive Penrhos College in Perth for a service before his body was laid to rest.

A hush descended on knots of people waiting outside shortly after noon as Ledger's parents and his ex-girlfriend Michelle Williams arrived in a gleaming black BMWs.

Williams, wearing a stylish but subdued cream knee-length dress with black edging, supported Ledger's sister, Kate, who was in tears and trembling as she walked in.

Matilda Rose, the 2-year-old daughter of Williams and Ledger, did not appear.

Heads also turned when model Gemma Ward, an ex-Ledger girlfriend, arrived with her sister, Sophie.

Gemma Ward looked like she had stepped off the cover of a fashion magazine in a knee-length black dress.

Others attending were actors Bryan Brown, Cate Blanchett and Joel Edgerton and movie directors Phillip Noyce and Neil Armfield.

Jake Gyllenhaal, who co-starred with Ledger in his most famous film, "Brokeback Mountain," arrived in Australia Friday but wasn't seen at the college.

A local musician said he opened the service by playing an ancient Aboriginal dirge on a didgeridoo. Music played a large role in the ceremony, which ended with the Beatles' "Come Together."

Ledger, 28, died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs in his SoHo apartment Jan 22.

After the service, 10 family members left to bury Ledger's remains at a Perth cemetery.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/02/09/2008-02-09_honoring_heath_ledger_celebs_family_reme-1.html
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #569 on: February 09, 2008, 10:56:26 am »
This seems very nice. Side note: I wonder if People has a mole in the funeral. How do they get this information? I doubt it is made up.

Michelle Williams Takes Ocean Plunge to Honor Heath
By Brenda Rodriguez

What started out as a subdued wake after Heath Ledger's funeral ended in an emotional goodbye by mourners including Michelle Williams, who all took a plunge into the ocean as the sun began to set.

"It's exactly what Heath would have wanted," one mourner told PEOPLE, dripping wet in his underwear as he made his way out of the water.

An unidentified man led Williams by the hand, followed by several guests, who walked down the stairs behind the Indiana Tea House on Cottesloe Beach, the site of the wake and one of Ledger's favorite spots.

At least 50 people attending the wake ran onto the beach and many began to take off their clothes. While some women took the plunge in their black dresses, other men and women stripped down to just their underwear and jumped into the ocean.

Williams, still wearing her cream-colored sundress and black sunglasses, was briefly dragged into the water as everyone cheered. She was then quickly surrounded by a group of mourners, creating a protective circle around the actress.

Those in the water laughed and cheered as Michelle watched from the shore. Ledger's sister Kate also took a dive into the water and was surrounded by pals splashing around her while her father Kim Ledger watched from the restaurant's balcony and shouted, "Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray!" giving two thumbs up in the air.

As the sun began to set, the swimmers came on shore and stood in a line on both sides of Williams and linked arms. In the last five minutes, as the sun moved toward the horizon, the mourners stood in silence, watching and embracing.

Williams hugged Kate Ledger and smiled as she watched the sunset at 8:15 p.m., local time.

Two mourners in the group summoned up the moment as they stood behind Williams.

"The sun goes down on our love," they said. "But it will never go down on Heathy."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20177222,00.html
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.