Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142188 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #690 on: February 22, 2008, 11:52:24 am »
I also just realized that there are tattoos on the upper right arm that I'd never seen before. (All the stuff above the dragonfly). What is that?

I thought the same. There are various tattoos we've not seen (also on the right arm). I have no idea if they were fairly new or if the artist took artistic license and added them.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #691 on: February 22, 2008, 12:10:49 pm »
I've really grown to like the painting.  It was too difficult to see right after his death; the figures are so gaunt, etc.  But I love the way the painter captured his hands.

Heath was a chameleon in many ways; he could look so different depending on the role, or, in RL, on the day.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #692 on: February 22, 2008, 12:30:05 pm »
A painting of late actor Heath Ledger is in competition to land a prestigious Australian art prize. The portrait, titled Heath and painted by Ledger's friend Vincent Fantauzzo, is one of 249 entries to date for the Archibald Prize, the winner of which is to be decided on March 7. . . . . The portrait features a bare-chested Ledger with two other whispering versions of the actor on each side of him. [etc.]

The other two Heaths look like they're older versions of him.  And I'm curious about the tattoos as well.

Thanks so much for sharing this. Hope it wins!!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #693 on: February 22, 2008, 12:47:45 pm »
I found this at HeathHeathens.net with this comment:

More comprehensive look at full tattoo. Heath has connected the dragonfly and the previous tattoo of the earth, sun, moon, also adding some new geometric elements.

My guess is that the artist was realistic, and painted Heath's tattoos as they actually were on his body.

http://www.heathheathens.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t1240.html
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 22, 2008, 10:23:56 pm »
I love that painting.  I hope it wins the prize!  8)

The Archibald Prize is Australia's most prestigious art prize.

It is awarded annually and the exhibition is held in the Art Gallery of New South Wales in Sydney.

Under the terms of the Archibald Bequest, the portrait must be that of an Australian, painted in the past (I think) 24 months (may be the past 12 months?) who has distinguished him/herself in public life in some way (academia, sciences, the arts, etc.)

It is an open competition and any Australian can enter, so long as you've got the entry fee in your pocket.

Many emerging (unknown) artists have entered in the past. They get around the necessity to paint a famous person by entering self-portraits, which is a quirky way one can legally squirm around the terms of the bequest, in that it can be rationalised that if one wins the Archibald Prize (even being accepted for hanging is considered an accomplishment - it's fiercely competitive), one has, therefore, distinguished oneself and has attained "fame," even if one was completely unknown beforehand.

Thousands of entries are received each year (it's a great fundraiser for the Art Gallery of NSW), most of which are culled, leaving only a couple of dozen portraits hung. I've entered a couple of times but have always, alas, been culled.

The Art Gallery of NSW is only a 5 min. drive from where I live and I will certainly be going this year, specifically to see Heath's portrait.

The Archibald Committee; who make the choice as to who the winner is and, indeed, who will hang and who will be culled; is comprised of local business people and A-listers with (sometimes) a couple of artists thrown in. The membership changes as members come and go. I have actually see in some years, where there were no artists on the committee. This makes the choice of winner highly contentious and very controversial. There's always a huge amount of media hysteria generated by the awarding of the Archibald Prize every year here in Sydney.   
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #695 on: February 23, 2008, 02:32:12 pm »
Don't know if anyone's posted this link.  It's excellent.

To watch Heath’s career soar, to watch him fulfill his potential, was to provide, at least by proxy, the happy ending that Ennis never got. Ennis expected nothing, but we expected everything for Heath, and the idea that we’ll never get to see it puts one in mind of Jack Twist, turning away from Ennis Del Mar as his own dreams are dashed. “There’s never enough time,” he mutters. “Never enough.” 

http://www.advocate.com/issue_story_ektid52310.asp

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #696 on: February 23, 2008, 02:46:30 pm »

To watch Heath’s career soar, to watch him fulfill his potential, was to provide, at least by proxy, the happy ending that Ennis never got. Ennis expected nothing, but we expected everything for Heath, and the idea that we’ll never get to see it puts one in mind of Jack Twist, turning away from Ennis Del Mar as his own dreams are dashed. “There’s never enough time,” he mutters. “Never enough.” 

Thanks for the link!  It's a very nice tribute to Heath...
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #697 on: February 23, 2008, 03:04:28 pm »

Thanks for posting this Laura. I've been waiting for it (Dottie has posted the cover two days ago, but the article wasn't available online yet). I think it's a very good article.

With a minimum of makeup, Ledger had taken the character into his 30s and 40s, ages the actor will now never see.

The same sad thought crossed my mind earlier today, when I checked the lakeside argument scene for a reply in the Open Forum.
Suddenly my apperception switched from Ennis to Heath and I thought he will never be as old as Ennis was at the end of the movie. And even Jack had ten more years than Heath. 
So many small realizations which continue to hurt.  :'(

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #698 on: February 23, 2008, 03:15:23 pm »
Chrissi, I was going to say the exact same thing about that line in the story. Once again, we're on the same wavelength.  :-\

I also noticed this part:

If that enshrinement raises interesting questions about the role of gay men in creating masculine icons, it’s also caused an early reevaluation of the phenomenon that was Brokeback Mountain. “In a way, [Brokeback fever] had just barely died down and was being put to rest, and now I think that Heath Ledger’s death has made it spring up again,” notes Rich. “That film became a classic, became a cult film, became a personalized object very quickly.”

Guess he hadn't visited the Open Forum recently ...  ::)

Thanks for posting it, Laura. Also, I forgot to thank Leslie for posting "Untitled Heath Ledger Project" a few days ago. I think that and this have been my favorite post-1/22 articles.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #699 on: February 24, 2008, 09:06:34 am »
I can't believe B. Ruby Rich mentioned Brokeback Fever! I wrote that! I wonder if she read my stuff?

http://lazylfarm.livejournal.com/19723.html

Small, small world....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!