Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142263 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #810 on: March 07, 2008, 11:20:07 am »
Actually, I would think there may be a lot of interesting art in that show...

...Heath's painting already got more publicity than the winner did, and that is a huge award in and of itself.  The only reason most of us even know about the Archibald award is because of Heath's portrait. 

It's so hard to make a career as an artist, I would hope all of the artists in the show get a good career bump for their efforts!

That is the case. To have "Archibald Finalist" in one's CV places one within a very exclusive, elite clique.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #811 on: March 07, 2008, 11:42:59 am »
[...]
However, having said all that, I simply can't believe the judges chose such a trite, inane work (it looks like a vacuous Hallmark greeting card illustration IMHO) over the truly inspired masterpiece by Fantauzzo. But that's just me. I hope to be able to visit the exhibition tomorrow and will be taking my camera with me. Watch this space for my photos.

There a link in that article to other finalists and some are amazingly good-  I love the one of Toni Colette and the one called Black Sheep of the Family.  There are a couple of really bad ones too but the majority are quite impressive.  Enjoy the show!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #812 on: March 07, 2008, 12:20:33 pm »
My sentiments exactly. But can't you just hear the author protesting that "everyone must grieve in their own way....."    :P

Yup. And also, "It's my constitutional right to write this crap, too!"
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #813 on: March 07, 2008, 01:09:09 pm »
However, having said all that, I simply can't believe the judges chose such a trite, inane work (it looks like a vacuous Hallmark greeting card illustration IMHO) over the truly inspired masterpiece by Fantauzzo. But that's just me. I hope to be able to visit the exhibition tomorrow and will be taking my camera with me. Watch this space for my photos.

I agree with you, Kerry.  The winning painting looks like one of those embarrassing 70s doe-eyed cartoons of cats and little children.

Fantauzzo's portrait of Heath, which I found a bit shocking right after his death because of its gauntness, really captures its subject.  It rewards one with repeated viewings.   

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 08, 2008, 08:26:30 am »

I've put together a little photo-essay of my visit to Heath at the Archibald. Come join me at:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,17936.0.html

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline opinionista

« Reply #815 on: March 08, 2008, 06:05:06 pm »
Heath Ledger's Will Revealed
By Bethany Lye

Before his Oscar-nominated role in Brokeback Mountain, Heath Ledger wrote a will leaving everything he owned to his parents and sister, New York's Daily News reported Saturday.

The 28-year-old actor, who died of an accidental prescription drug overdose earlier this year, filed a three-page will in his native Australia in April 2003. The will preceded Ledger's relationship with Brokeback costar Michelle Williams and the 2005 birth of their daughter, Matilda Rose.

A series of documents filed in Manhattan Surrogate's Court revealed that the actor had less than $145,000 in New York assets at the time, including a $25,000 Toyota Prius and $20,000 in furniture and fixtures. His greater wealth, including trust funds, Australian properties and the Brooklyn townhouse he once shared with Williams, is uncertain.

It's unclear whether there will be any provisions for Williams or Matilda Rose, now 2. The bulk of Ledger's estate will be handled in Australia, according to the report.

The actor's lawyer has asked a judge to seal the documents for privacy. Ledger's spokeswoman, Mara Buxbaum, declined to comment.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20183044,00.html
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 08, 2008, 10:50:45 pm »

From the March 9 (Sydney) Sunday Telegraph:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #817 on: March 09, 2008, 05:15:22 pm »
Jesus.  They just *can't* live it/him alone, can they?  Even over a month after his death.  Silly me.  I thought Wills were private.  But then, I thought funerals and autopsy results were, too.

No more beans!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 09, 2008, 05:55:27 pm »

Ledger's rep quickly squashed any speculation that Williams and 2-year-old Matilda would not be provided for. "The story is getting taken out of context and media is speculating that this means Matilda and Michelle will not be taken care of. I want to make it very clear nothing could be farther from the truth." [/i]

??? "Squashed"?  ??? That's a bit severe!  :-\ Let's hope the speculation was quashed, too!  ::)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #819 on: March 09, 2008, 06:15:21 pm »
no, probated wills are filed and a matter of public record generally.  If you know what county they are probated in.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”