Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142219 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #930 on: August 21, 2008, 01:34:08 am »
Yes, I saw that on Yahoo today.  I feel like that's sort of old news, so I was curious about why Yahoo decided to feature that info today.

Seems like oldish news to me too, but it's been in many papers and websites just in the last few days.  How did we hear about it sooner than they did?

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #931 on: August 21, 2008, 06:35:32 am »

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/08/matilda_ledger_looks_just_like.html

8/20/08                                                Photo Op                                                5:08 PM

Matilda Ledger Looks Just Like Heath,
Gives Suri Cruise a Run for Her Money

We've been obsessing over Suri Cruise a little bit lately, which we realize is a little bit unfair. Suri isn't technically a New York kid — she's just visiting while her mom is on Broadway. And we have our own celebrity tykes here! Like Liv Tyler and Royston Langdon's baby Milo, Kate Hudson and Chris Robinson's baby Ryder — not to mention dozens of other half-famous children. But the child most famous in her own right is Matilda Ledger, daughter of the late Heath and actress Michelle Williams.

So we went to look today for pictures of Matilda in her element: Brooklyn. And we were not disappointed. Look at the above picture! Is she not adorable? And does she not look exactly like her father?

We know we just said that we can't tell which parent a baby's supposed to look like, but Matilda is almost 3! By the time she's in high school, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is totally going to be bribing her to go on a date with Julia Stiles. Just you wait and see.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #932 on: August 21, 2008, 10:19:21 am »
There is a whole seriies of pics. of Matilda on Jared ,I think and she even has Heaths' mischievous grin, it tears me apart when I see them, yet I can't stop myself from looking. Work that one out.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #933 on: August 21, 2008, 10:24:41 am »
There's something about following celebrity children — especially toddlers for Christ's sake — that really bothers me.

Celebs complain about media intrusiveness, and rightfully so, but they have some idea what they're signing up for with success in entertainment.  But kids?  They didn't sign up for this.  (When I see links to this on the People site or something, I never click.  Paps are paid according to the worth of the pics, and click-count factors into that.  It only encourages hounding of children and splashing their images across the media for god-knows-who to see and obsess over.)

:-\

(And who were they expecting her to look like?  Stevie Wonder?)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #934 on: August 21, 2008, 10:34:00 am »
Matilda is just too cute!  

I hope Matilda and Michelle can get some space from the paparazzi in Brooklyn.  I do admit that I like seeing an occasional photo of Matilda at the playground or riding her scooter (wearing a helmet because her mom is smart!) because it reassures me that she's having a normal life, doing the fun things kids do.

As for Suri Cruise, I hope she's having a normal life.  (On a fashion note, to me it always seems like her clothes are too big for her.)

Offline optom3

« Reply #935 on: August 21, 2008, 10:56:01 am »
There's something about following celebrity children — especially toddlers for Christ's sake — that really bothers me.

Celebs complain about media intrusiveness, and rightfully so, but they have some idea what they're signing up for with success in entertainment.  But kids?  They didn't sign up for this.  (When I see links to this on the People site or something, I never click.  Paps are paid according to the worth of the pics, and click-count factors into that.  It only encourages hounding of children and splashing their images across the media for god-knows-who to see and obsess over.)

:-\

(And who were they expecting her to look like?  Stevie Wonder?)

I know I should not click as the paparazzi on the whole are lower forms of life than amoeba. I am still at the stage though, where any connection to Heath seems irresistible.
I understand what you are saying.I should know better than most. In  a slightly different vein, we chose to move here to the states on an E visa, and unless we have green cards by the time the kids are 21, they are all sent back to England.We are still allowed to stay here.I feel ill every time I think about it.My youngest 2 in particular are now American through and through.They had no choice in moving here, yet they  will be the ones to suffer.
The route to a green card we were originally going to take has had the goal posts moved.So we have to look at other ways now.When we left England the situation was different.The goal posts have moved since we have been here.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #936 on: September 04, 2008, 03:23:17 pm »
Well here's a fairly yucky story that I just stumbled across on Yahoo's main page.  It's one of the highlighted stories there right now.
 :P

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_en_mo/people_heath_ledger_video_lawsuit
Judge nixes claims in Heath Ledger tape lawsuit

By ANTHONY McCARTNEY, AP Entertainment Writer
Wed Sep 3, 6:57 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - A judge on Wednesday dealt a serious but possibly temporary blow to a lawsuit filed by a celebrity magazine reporter who has accused a paparazzi agency of secretly filming Heath Ledger doing drugs in her hotel room.

Superior Court Judge John S. Wiley Jr. tentatively dismissed 11 of 12 claims filed against the agency and two photographers, saying most of the allegations lacked legal standing.

He allowed attorneys to file an amended complaint that could restore some of the claims.

The woman, identified in court documents only as "Jane Doe," sued Splash News & Picture Agency and two of its photographers in April, alleging fraud, intrusion, unjust enrichment and other claims over the filming of Ledger in 2006.

The woman was on assignment for People magazine at the time.

According to the lawsuit, the tape was made after the Golden Globe awards in January 2006 and wasn't revealed until after Ledger's death from an accidental prescription drug overdose earlier this year. "Entertainment Tonight" and its sister show, "The Insider," had planned to air the footage, but canceled those plans after feeling pressure from publicists and other Ledger supporters.

The video later surfaced online.

The lawsuit states the video was shot from a balcony of the reporter's hotel room, and that Ledger became upset when he realized he was being taped. The photographers placated Ledger by telling him they would destroy the tape, the suit claims.

Mara Buxbaum, a publicist who represented Ledger, did not return a phone call or e-mail seeking comment.

Ledger — who has been celebrated this summer for his role as the Joker in "The Dark Knight" — was already an established actor when the tape was made. Indeed, the suit claims the video was shot hours after Ledger appeared at the awards show, where he was nominated as best actor for "Brokeback Mountain."

The lawsuit claims the video shows Ledger doing cocaine and that some of the drugs were supplied by the photographers.

The reporter's likeness is blurred on the video.

That element, and the woman's assignment for People, were key reasons for Wiley's decision to remove most of the claims from the suit.

"Jane Doe is as far as the Heath Ledger public is concerned, a complete unknown," Wiley said. "She's not a feature. She's some blurry bystander."

Wiley also noted that the reporter had dated one of the photographers, and that the alleged intrusion of her privacy took place in a hotel room she had apparently rented to conduct interviews in. "It's a professional setting, not a personal setting," Wiley said.

The judge sided with defense attorneys, who argued that the woman could not make many of her claims on behalf of Ledger. "The tape's valuable because of Heath Ledger, not because of Jane Doe," Wiley said.

Neville Johnson, who is representing the reporter, told Wiley his client was also harmed by the video.

"It ruined her," he shouted at one point during the hearing. "She didn't get a story out of it."

The woman's suit claims her inclusion on the tape has damaged her ability to work.

"Just because she's a member of the press, she has the same rights as anyone else," Johnson said.

He said after Wednesday's hearing that he thinks a revision of the lawsuit will restore many of the reporter's claims.

An attorney for Splash News and its photographers declined to comment after the hearing.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #937 on: December 30, 2008, 04:53:54 am »
How's this for an unfortunately worded title of an article?

Ledger's death voted top 2008 entertainment story

By JAKE COYLE
Heath Ledger's death was voted 2008's top entertainment story by U.S. newspaper and broadcast editors surveyed by The Associated Press.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jAly4d5wjCHvsEBaup7Jl_JJKvcwD958NNBO0

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #938 on: December 30, 2008, 12:35:01 pm »
How's this for an unfortunately worded title of an article?

Ledger's death voted top 2008 entertainment story

By JAKE COYLE
Heath Ledger's death was voted 2008's top entertainment story by U.S. newspaper and broadcast editors surveyed by The Associated Press.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jAly4d5wjCHvsEBaup7Jl_JJKvcwD958NNBO0

Oh dear.  Unfortunate in the extreme.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #939 on: December 31, 2008, 02:38:09 am »
I wasn't much entertained by it  :'(

Heathen