Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1144393 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2008, 10:27:11 am »
Ledger had been tipped to play Hutchence during a biopic of the late INXS frontman.

Oh, that's spooky.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2008, 12:37:28 pm »
Quote from: MaineWriter on Today at 07:10:55 AM
Ledger had been tipped to play Hutchence during a biopic of the late INXS frontman.

Oh, that's spooky.  :(

Ledger would have been the obvious choice though.  The star quality, the sexual charisma . . .      :P

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2008, 03:25:33 pm »
From the Daily Intelligencer, New York Magazine:

The ‘Post’ Still in the Anger Stage of Dealing With Heath Ledger's Death

We are still several days away from finding out results of the toxicology reports being done on Heath Ledger's body, but the New York Post is still having trouble with the fact that, as yet, there is no one to blame. Last week, we were surprised at all of the heat they brought on Mary-Kate Olsen. They put her face on the cover and claimed she was to be questioned by police (they stand by the story, but cops are now saying they won't be speaking with the actress). Olsen is involved, as even your golden retriever must know by now, because the masseuse who found Ledger's body mysteriously called her before calling 911. Olsen sent in her bodyguards rather than calling the police. After we and other Websites like Gawker.com pointed out the contradiction between the paper's story and what police were saying, we were e-mailed with a blusterous comment from Post editor Col Allan, which implied that the police were "afraid" of Olsen and that's why they wouldn't question her. Then, they followed up on Saturday with a photo-free cover, which asked "WHY" the police weren't questioning Olsen. There was an interior editorial that day explaining that the tabloid was receiving "dark communications" from Olsen's lawyers, threatening them.

Which brings us to today. The paper now concedes that two of the three calls the masseuse made to Olsen didn't connect. But a report in the Sydney Telegraph lends credence to their claims that more questions should be asked, because a witness said that Mary-Kate's bodyguards arrived three minutes before the cops. Now, enter Cindy Adams. The Post gossip columnist connected the dots for readers, all but accusing Olsen's bodyguards of criminal tampering with evidence:

I know zip about Operation Mary-Kate Olsen. I only know how it plays in similar situations. Private security guards — the music biz calls them "the cleanup crew" — get dispatched PDQ. They show before anybody's called. They dispose of illegal substances right under authorities' noses and then "cooperate" with the fuzz. I mean, you didn't figure all that by yourselves? You needed me to explain this?

No, we didn’t need you to explain it to us, Cindy. But we're betting Olsen's lawyer might want to have it repeated a couple of times.

Whether or not Mary-Kate had some sinister role in Ledger's death, we'll let the police decide. It almost feels as if the Post hopes that she does. But one thing we really do appreciate about their coverage is this: They always refer to Mary-Kate as "the former Full House actress." Not designer, not business mogul, not fashion icon. Which is one of the small, but hilarious, types of snub that really makes us love that damn paper.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/01/post_kills_time_mary_kate_unti.html
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2008, 04:21:17 pm »
From the Daily Intelligencer, New York Magazine:

The ‘Post’ Still in the Anger Stage of Dealing With Heath Ledger's Death

Whether or not Mary-Kate had some sinister role in Ledger's death, we'll let the police decide. It almost feels as if the Post hopes that she does. But one thing we really do appreciate about their coverage is this: They always refer to Mary-Kate as "the former Full House actress." Not designer, not business mogul, not fashion icon. Which is one of the small, but hilarious, types of snub that really makes us love that damn paper.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/01/post_kills_time_mary_kate_unti.html

Sorry if I'm being inappropriate, but this paragraph just made me chuckle.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2008, 04:27:36 pm »
Sorry if I'm being inappropriate, but this paragraph just made me chuckle.  ;D

The whole article made me chuckle, Jeff. I thought we were due for a laugh.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2008, 04:54:18 pm »
That decision was made to protect the family's privacy and avoid a possible confrontation with US religious fanatics who threatened to picket any memorial service for the star because of the actor's portrayal of a gay cowboy in Brokeback Mountain.

Now that just males me so so so mad.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2008, 06:47:16 pm »
The Show Must Go On.  Terry Gilliam is doing his best to try to salvage Heath Ledger's last film:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20174404,00.html?xid=rss-fullcontentcnn
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2008, 08:16:04 pm »
Sure hope the director pulls this off. It is somewhat standard to try hard to find a way to salavage a film when such a tragedy occurs. There was simply too little footage in "something's got to give" when Marilyn Monroe died so it was scrapped. but when vivien leigh had a breakdown on the set of Elephant Walk, for example, they replaced her with the not-well-known Liz Taylor. Many of the long shots of "her" is actually leigh.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2008, 09:15:19 pm »
When the actor Rudolph Valentino lay in state in 1926 at the age of 31, more than 50,000 fans showed up. In 1955, Baby Boomers grieved the passing of the 24-year-old James Dean, who received two posthumous Academy Award nominations on his way to the pantheon.

A minor quibble, but careless for the NYT. The very oldest Baby Boomers were barely 10 in 1955. I doubt they were the main ones grieving James Dean.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2008, 09:41:46 pm »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν