Author Topic: To cheer us up - silly things they're saying  (Read 8359 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: To cheer us up - silly things they're saying
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 09:43:41 pm »
So there is a news report (on the news report thread) that the masseuse who came to Heath's apartment thought the wisest thing to do, when she found him unresponsive, was to call Mary Kate Olsen...not once, but TWICE.

Yes, it is absurd. I can't even understand it.

But, a commenter on the article wrote this, which made me laugh:

I’m going to get a tattoo on my sternum that says Do not resuscitate. Call an Olsen Twin.

Ohmigod...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 09:59:42 pm »
Here are yesterday's most-Googled terms. Most are sad, of course. But note what's #2:

1.    heath ledger
2.    keith ledger
3.    michelle williams
4.    heath ledger found dead
5.    rotten neighbor
6.    kate voegele
7.    brokeback mountain
8.    oscar nominations
9.    matilda ledger
10.    michelle williams heath ledger
11.    e news
12.    laura hall
13.    10 things i hate about you
14.    did heath ledger die
15.    421 broome street

How can so many people be interested enough to do a google search to learn the fate of a man whose name they don't even know? It tells you something about ... well, I'm not sure what it tells you.

An idiot co-worker of mine did this yesterday - referred to him as Keith, I mean.  And I've corrected her I don't know how many times about that in times past.  She watches a lot of movies and is in the know about several actors, but she is always getting the titles of movies and names of actors not quite right.  Usually, it's just comical to me, but after correcting her yesterday when she first mentioned it and then having her say something about "Keith Ledger" again this morning, I snapped "For God's sake, it's HEATH.  Like Heathcliffe in Wuthering Heights.  GET IT RIGHT, WOMAN!"  (We're kind of friends, so I can be this way with her.)  All she said was "I've never seen that movie."

::)

(I also overheard her saying to someone on the phone this morning, "I just wanted to make sure our ducks were all in line.")

::)   ::)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 10:15:39 pm »
All she said was "I've never seen that movie."

I hope she was referring to some movie Heath was in, rather than Wuthering Heights. Who thinks of one of the greatest novels in the English language first and foremost as a movie?? (And if so did she mean the 1939 Laurence Olivier version or the 1970 Timothy Dalton version?  ;) )

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 10:34:26 pm »
An idiot co-worker of mine did this yesterday - referred to him as Keith, I mean.  And I've corrected her I don't know how many times about that in times past.  She watches a lot of movies and is in the know about several actors, but she is always getting the titles of movies and names of actors not quite right.  Usually, it's just comical to me, but after correcting her yesterday when she first mentioned it and then having her say something about "Keith Ledger" again this morning, I snapped "For God's sake, it's HEATH.  Like Heathcliffe in Wuthering Heights.  GET IT RIGHT, WOMAN!"  (We're kind of friends, so I can be this way with her.)  All she said was "I've never seen that movie."

::)

(I also overheard her saying to someone on the phone this morning, "I just wanted to make sure our ducks were all in line.")

::)   ::)

I love that, Barb!  Your friend reminds me of my mom.  Hard of hearing, she is famous in our family for having heard me say "Lord of the Rings" and processed it as "Bird of the Week."  :laugh:   Also, she always referred to Harry Potter as "Henry Porter."  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 10:43:09 pm »
I love that, Barb!  Your friend reminds me of my mom.  Hard of hearing, she is famous in our family for having heard me say "Lord of the Rings" and processed it as "Bird of the Week."  :laugh:   Also, she always referred to Harry Potter as "Henry Porter."  :)

My husband is like that too.  But he did learn to say "Heath Ledger" correctly and consistently.

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 04:00:26 am »
. . . and then there was the elderly couple we overheard outside the movie boxoffice when we were in Florida in January 2006.  The husband had just bought two tickets and said to his wife, "I have the tickets for Broken Mountain!"   ;D ::) ;D
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 04:03:13 am »

hey Pete how are you bud.. Long time no see.  nice to see familiar faces at this time.
funny story about that couple...........

Beautiful mind

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 05:16:36 pm »

hey Pete how are you bud.. Long time no see.  nice to see familiar faces at this time.
funny story about that couple...........

Thanks, Janice! 

I haven't been on BetterMost in a while.  I was away for 3 weeks in Dec. and went to Buenos Aires and on an Antarctica boat trip, which was fantastic!  Then there was getting ready for the trip and dealing with things when I got home.

This is AMAZING, but I was just looking through some of the BBM BBQ 2007 photos a few hours ago and was thinking about our hike up Brokenback Mountain . . . and now I just saw your post from Wed.  I guess I somehow "knew about" your sweet post before I saw it and that's why I was thinking of you!

Hugs to one of my favorite "familiar faces" at this sad time,

Pete

Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 09:37:34 pm »
Good to see you, Pete.

And no, Katherine - I'm sorry to say that my co-worker wasn't referring to one of "Keith's" movies, she was referring to 'Wuthering Heights' as if all it ever was was a movie.

And she once referred to BBM as "Broken Mountain," too.  Here are some of her other gems:

"Around the Universe"
"No Old Man Country"
"Eastern Wishes"

and her best one of late,

"Kick The Bucket"

:P
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 09:46:18 pm »