Author Topic: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia  (Read 188992 times)

mvansand76

Re: Is there any way....
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 03:45:36 pm »
Hi guys,
Just got back online.... I am so happy to hear the suggestions about how to go about this. The newspaper thing sounds like a great idea. And maybe we can all send cards to one of our Aussie Brokie friends, who can then forward them to Heath's agency in Australia (or did he only have one in the US?).

Mel

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 03:46:48 pm »
I think it's a great idea and would be happy to contribute.

How should we go about organizing this?

And I'm no good at this stuff. How about checking Google for newspapers. Perhaps from the home town. Then contacting them. I wonder if they would be open to this.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 03:48:45 pm »

I'd be glad to participate as well.
I suppose we'd first have to decide what we are going to do..card, newspaper, etc.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 03:51:33 pm »
I found this:

www.thewest.com.au/

mvansand76

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 07:18:15 am »
I found this:

www.thewest.com.au/

I only found tariffs for classifieds, I think we would need an idea of the prizes for a small ad, right? Or we might have to stick to sending cards to the family through a Brokie in Aussie?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 09:04:09 am »
I found the website, which says you can post condolences to the family:

POST your condolences to Heath Ledger's family here.

To express your sympathy for Heath Ledger's family, please post your condolences in the story comment section below.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,23095560-5008620,00.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 03:26:10 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 12:37:57 pm »
I only found tariffs for classifieds, I think we would need an idea of the prizes for a small ad, right? Or we might have to stick to sending cards to the family through a Brokie in Aussie?

I'm in contact with a friend from Live Journal who lives and works in Perth.  She has offered to put a notice in the paper for us and find out where to send flowers.  She is also willing to pay for it and let us reimburse her.

Shall we go ahead with this?  Let me know what you think we should say in the notice.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 12:58:09 pm »
I'm in contact with a friend from Live Journal who lives and works in Perth.  She has offered to put a notice in the paper for us and find out where to send flowers.  She is also willing to pay for it and let us reimburse her.

Shall we go ahead with this?  Let me know what you think we should say in the notice.

That's wonderful Meryl.  It sounds like a really nice way to handle this.  Maybe we should get official feedback on this idea from Phillip and Elle, if the gesture is going to be made in the name of BetterMost as a whole.

Who should we designate to write the ad?  I know we have some professional/serious writers here... and some great wordsmiths in general.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 01:12:09 pm »
Thanks, Amanda.  I just PM'd Phillip and Clarissa and asked them to post their thoughts here.  Hopefully, we can move on this soon.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline malina

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 01:44:35 pm »

This is a wonderful idea. I'm just blown away by what this community has created in response to Heath's death. So beautiful. I feel like I'm here only peripherally, but I come and lurk, and I am full of appreciation for everything - for Philip's news updates, and the fact that .. was it Meryl and John? Sorry if I'm getting the names wrong.. went to building and left a card. I keep feeling like I want to 'do something', and then running into all the distance that seems to prevent that, but coming here, where things ARE being done, is amazingly soothing.

{{{{Bettermostians}}}}

And if it comes to pitching in to pay for an ad, I would love to contribute. I'll keep checking back.

xo m.