Author Topic: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia  (Read 186825 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Is there any way....
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 08:28:21 pm »
If we come up with whatever this plan is for an obit or whatever in the Australian newspaper, count me in for some $$. But, following on my earlier comment...are there charities that the family is designating for donations? The whole "in lieu of flowers" thing? Do we want to try to contribute in that way?

Now, this may sound really wacky and selfish, but do we just want to raise money to donate to Bettermost? I don't know how many times I have read "Thank God for Bettermost" this week (I have typed it a few times myself). If we were to raise some amount of dollars (the equivalent of what it would cost to pay for an ad) and donate it to the ongoing maintenance of this site, might that be the best way to honor Heath's memory? Just green light thinking here....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 08:29:47 pm »
leslie,

just wanted to thank you for the perth newspaper link

Bel

This is why I am the "News and Internet Sleuth"....LOL

Glad it was helpful.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 09:08:22 pm »
If we come up with whatever this plan is for an obit or whatever in the Australian newspaper, count me in for some $$. But, following on my earlier comment...are there charities that the family is designating for donations? The whole "in lieu of flowers" thing? Do we want to try to contribute in that way?

Now, this may sound really wacky and selfish, but do we just want to raise money to donate to Bettermost? I don't know how many times I have read "Thank God for Bettermost" this week (I have typed it a few times myself). If we were to raise some amount of dollars (the equivalent of what it would cost to pay for an ad) and donate it to the ongoing maintenance of this site, might that be the best way to honor Heath's memory? Just green light thinking here....

L

Interesting ideas - it is always a good idea to contribute to Bettermost, our sustaining life force that holds us together as a community.  I wonder if there is a more cost effective, yet personalized way of expressing our sympathies to the Ledgers as a group - I do feel as a community we 'should' do something given the enormous impact Heath/BBM had, and still has, on all of us.  I feel strongly about this, and regardless of how it is achieved, it should be done in a way that is meaningful and expresses our deepest, heartfelt condolences to the family during this very difficult time.

Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 10:46:36 pm »
Leslie, I like the idea of supporting BetterMost in Heath's honor, but for myself, I think I'll make that contribution as a private expression of my own gratitude for this place.  Meanwhile, if anyone finds out whether the family has designated a charity or charities, I'll be glad to contribute to that, too.

Since Heath was a dear friend to all of us, even though he didn't know us personally, I like the idea of sending flowers and condolences, like anyone usually does when a friend or family member passes away.

Here's my suggestion for a notice we could have published in the Perth newspaper.  Please offer other suggestions if you have them.

The men and women of bettermost.net
extend our heartfelt condolences to the family
and friends of Heath Ledger.  We love and
respect Heath and thank him for the spirit
of positive change he has inspired in our lives.
He will always live in our hearts.

If we can include a picture, I like either of these.  Other suggestions?

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 11:07:28 pm »

Here's my suggestion for a notice we could have published in the Perth newspaper.  Please offer other suggestions if you have them.

The men and women of bettermost.net
extend our heartfelt condolences to the family
and friends of Heath Ledger.  We love and
respect Heath and thank him for the spirit
of positive change he has inspired in our lives.
He will always live in our hearts.

If we can include a picture, I like either of these.  Other suggestions?

Hi Meryl,

I really like the wording of the text.  I especially like the sentence "We love and respect Heath and thank him for the spirit
of positive change he has inspired in our lives."  Great job with this.

I prefer the second picture with Ennis in the background, especially given the emphasis of BetterMost as a website.

And, of course, I'd contribute to a charity too.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »
Meryl et al., I am fine with everything. Like I said, I was green light thinking. What works for the group is fine with me...count me in...L

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 11:15:51 pm »
That's beautiful Meryl, you captured the sentiments perfectly. What do you, or anyone else think of personalizing the tribute with photos from some of our gatherings (and a picture of Heath)?

For example, the following montage was spliced from photos on the forum and sent to Rodney when he was sick: 

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,12738.msg259662.html#msg259662

My thought is that it would personalize the tribute - it would reflect that we are real people who really care and are extremely saddened by Heath's passing. I guess one disadvantage is that not every person in our community would be represented. 

Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Sending group condolences and flowers to Australia
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 11:22:52 pm »
I think the wording sounds wonderful, Meryl. Thank you. (I'm in.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 11:25:26 pm »
What Amanda said about what Meryl said.  Wonderful wording and the BBM poster in the background.

But here is my thought, and it seems different from anything else I've read so far:  To me there is absolutely no hurry with this.  The situation we are mourning is not going to change.  And Heath's family is in shock, and probably wouldn't even be able to notice that we did this if someone stuck it in front of their noses right now.  Someone dynamic and articulate could tell them all about BetterMost and our love for Heath in four part harmony with dancing bears spelling out the name BetterMost with sparklers, and they wouldn't be able to focus or retain it.  Plus we don't even know when they are going to be in Perth.  What if they are in L.A. or even Sydney when our tribute is published?

So I don't want to shoot down a beautiful idea, not at all, but I do want us to think through the logistics and goal of this, and have the best chance of getting our point across.

Later on could be a very good time to do this.  I actually keep thinking about how his birthday will be on April 4th.  Maybe then?

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Sending group condolences and flowers to Australia
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2008, 11:29:27 pm »
That's beautiful Meryl, you captured the sentiments perfectly. What do you, or anyone else think of personalizing the tribute with photos from some of our gatherings (and a picture of Heath)?

For example, the following montage was spliced from photos on the forum and sent to Rodney when he was sick: 

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,12738.msg259662.html#msg259662

My thought is that it would personalize the tribute - it would reflect that we are real people who really care and are extremely saddened by Heath's passing. I guess one disadvantage is that not every person in our community would be represented. 

I like this a lot.  I wish I was in one of the pics in the montage.  But enough BetterMost beloveds ARE in those pics to make it feel very representative of us.