Author Topic: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia  (Read 188536 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia
« Reply #310 on: January 31, 2008, 06:29:34 pm »
I know there are cultural differences at work so it may not be the same in Australia (or the US) - but here back home it's customary for the family to express where donations may be made in order to honour the interests or wishes of the deceased. (Oh God, that horrible word!) :-\

If that's the same in Australia, then surely the Ledger family may be expected to say something along those lines very soon, especially since they know there are many people  around the world who grieve and would like to honour Heath in some way.

Not that I don't think both AIDS research and childrens' charities are entirely deserving of donations, of course, if the family decides not to say anything specific about this topic.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #311 on: January 31, 2008, 06:30:42 pm »
I am not able to keep up with the thread currently, but I just wanted to pop in and say that the announcement as posted on the Bettermost home page is amazing; I like it very much.  Thank you all.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 31, 2008, 07:09:49 pm »
I know there are cultural differences at work so it may not be the same in Australia (or the US) - but here back home it's customary for the family to express where donations may be made in order to honour the interests or wishes of the deceased. (Oh God, that horrible word!) :-\

If that's the same in Australia, then surely the Ledger family may be expected to say something along those lines very soon, especially since they know there are many people  around the world who grieve and would like to honour Heath in some way.

Not that I don't think both AIDS research and childrens' charities are entirely deserving of donations, of course, if the family decides not to say anything specific about this topic.

It's an individual thing here in Australia, Mikaela. There are no set rules, per se.

In Australia, if there are any specific considerations, they are usually stated in the formal funeral noticed, placed in the press on the family's behalf, by the funeral directors (undertakers).

So the general rule is that if the funeral notice simply states the date and time of the funeral, it is OK to send flowers to the designated location at the appointed time.

However, if flowers are not wanted, in the funeral notice it will state something like, "Please no flowers," or "Donations to the children's ward at ........ Hospital in lieu of flowers please."

Most people here in Australia wait to read the funeral notice before they make their tribute arrangements.

I'm sure that flowers are sometimes sent to a funeral, even after a family requests that none be sent. On those occasions, it is my understanding that the funeral directors redirect them to a local hospital, for distribution on the wards.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline bec

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • myspace
« Reply #313 on: January 31, 2008, 09:13:15 pm »
i just wanted to say that the notice in the paper was absolutely beautiful.
well done to all who made it happen.
this is my first ever post on any type of message board/forum/site, i'm usually the quite one that sits back and reads and never knows what to write. But after reading the post on IMDB ( containing the link to here a site i never new existed), the entire 32 pages of this thred and then with the warm welcome message to new Aussie members. i felt i had to express how moved i was by the way every one came together to show they cared.
xx :)
Why so serious..............It's all part of the plan...........lets put a smile on that face

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #314 on: January 31, 2008, 09:16:24 pm »
Welcome, bec, and thank you for the words about the notice in the paper. Come back and post any time.

I know you and all the people in Australia feel the loss of Heath very deeply too. He was a treasure to all of us, and we will miss him.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #315 on: January 31, 2008, 09:30:03 pm »
Thank you, *bec*, and thank you, everyone, who has said how much you appreciated and liked the condolence announcement.  It makes me feel warm inside to know I helped make it happen, and that is very healing at this sad time. 

I want to thank Melissa (Snavel) for starting the thread, Mel (nakymaton) for suggesting I contact Peachy (we both know her from another fandom) to help us, and Peachy herself, of course, as well as mouk for the beautiful picture and Kerry for his helpful input and all of you who contributed money to the cause.  We can at least hope that it brought a small amount of comfort to Heath's family.  We know it sure enough brought real comfort to us.  :-*

Update:  34 PayPal donations totaling $1,177.18.  Six coming via the mail.

To would-be contributors:  Go here for instructions on how to donate.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #316 on: January 31, 2008, 09:34:58 pm »
this is my first ever post on any type of message board/forum/site, i'm usually the quite one that sits back and reads and never knows what to write. But after reading the post on IMDB ( containing the link to here a site i never new existed), the entire 32 pages of this thred and then with the warm welcome message to new Aussie members. i felt i had to express how moved i was by the way every one came together to show they cared.

Welcome to BetterMost *bec* :).  Thank you for this lovely post.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #317 on: January 31, 2008, 09:37:27 pm »
Hey Bec!
So glad to have you here!
Please make yourself at home!
You are among friends here.
If you look around, you will see that not only the movie but the actors who brought it to life mean a great deal to us all.
Again, welcome home to Bettermost!  :-*
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 31, 2008, 10:02:18 pm »

Welcome to BetterMost, Bec!  :D

It's so good to see a fellow Sydneysider here!  8)

Don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance. You will find a wonderful group of people here, from all over the world.

Kerry
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline bec

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • myspace
« Reply #319 on: January 31, 2008, 10:05:49 pm »
thank you all for your kind welcoming words :-*
Why so serious..............It's all part of the plan...........lets put a smile on that face