Author Topic: Ennis as a Great American Character?  (Read 5550 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Ennis as a Great American Character?
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 01:09:12 pm »
Well I just posted.

"In this classic tragedy, Ennis Del Mar represents the classic American icon, the Cowboy (or in his precise case a sheephearder) who deals with the effects of rural homophobia as best he can. Having been indoctrinated from age 9 that his attraction could get him killed, he struggles in vain to pursue happiness in his life, and sublimate his nature in order to keep safe. The price he pays for this: lonliness and abandonment. Annie Proulx's character has resonated in the lives of countless people, and the late Heath Ledger's Ennis Del Mar puts a face on generations of men and women traditionally pushed to societies margins. "

and I put my name to it. It reminds me of when I first started posting about this thing.

This looks great Truman! 

I hope NPR responds to this suggestion.  I completely understand highlighting Ennis as a suggestion for this program (since he's the protagonist)... but what about Jack too?   Is it important to see the two of them together to get the full picture of the nuances of the social predicament illustrated in BBM?  I'm asking this more as a question for discussion here (not necessarily as something to suggest to NPR).  This is my with my old hat on... the "it's all about Ennis + Jack"  or the "you can't have one without the other" balancing-act hat.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie