Author Topic: The Latest on Jake G.  (Read 71904 times)

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
Re: The Latest on Jake G.
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2008, 09:10:09 pm »
Hey Amanda,

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that anyone here was intruding on his private grief. I meant that more toward the media, whom he has not spoken to (which would be the only way any of us would have heard from him). I think perhaps he's just not yet ready to confide in strangers his deepest thoughts about losing his best friend. It's hard enough for some people to talk about something like this to their own loved ones... let alone the world.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2008, 09:44:20 pm »
Hey Amanda,

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that anyone here was intruding on his private grief. I meant that more toward the media, whom he has not spoken to (which would be the only way any of us would have heard from him). I think perhaps he's just not yet ready to confide in strangers his deepest thoughts about losing his best friend. It's hard enough for some people to talk about something like this to their own loved ones... let alone the world.

No worries Verona, I understood what you meant Friend. :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2008, 12:20:22 pm »
I remember when John Lennon was killed, some reporter asked Paul McCartney how he felt. "It's a drag, isn't it?" For years, I held that against him, thinking it was disrespectful, flippant and cold. God, this dude just doesn't care! What an a**hole!! Then one day it dawned on me what he was really saying to that reporter... "how do you THINK I feel, you friggin' moron? DUH. What a stupid question! Leave me alone, I'm mourning my lifelong friend. You're intruding on my private grief, and it's none of your business."

That's how I see it, anyway. Your mileage may vary.  :)

This is an excellent point, Verona (and I love your last line.  :))

I remember right after the Columbine school shooting tragedy, one of the parents of one of the victims was on The Today Show.  Now, you might say, why go on that show if you want your privacy to be protected?  But even so, that wench Katie Couric asked the father flat out "How did you feel when you learned your son had been killed?"  I swear - I about tried to reach through the TV and strangle her to death.  I yelled at the screen "How the F*** do you think he felt, you moron???  Tell us, how did you feel when you learned your husband was going to die from colon cancer at 42?"

Gawd.

Of course he's devastated.  And I'm sure being asked such inane and insensitive questions would only aggravate the situation further.
No more beans!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2008, 03:02:49 pm »
This is an excellent point, Verona (and I love your last line.  :))

I remember right after the Columbine school shooting tragedy, one of the parents of one of the victims was on The Today Show.  Now, you might say, why go on that show if you want your privacy to be protected?  But even so, that wench Katie Couric asked the father flat out "How did you feel when you learned your son had been killed?"  I swear - I about tried to reach through the TV and strangle her to death.  I yelled at the screen "How the F*** do you think he felt, you moron???  Tell us, how did you feel when you learned your husband was going to die from colon cancer at 42?"

Gawd.

Of course he's devastated.  And I'm sure being asked such inane and insensitive questions would only aggravate the situation further.

Someone actually ASKED a parent how they felt when their son had been shot???  : FFS.  >:( >:( Like you said, how did he or she think he felt? God almighty, what a stupid insensitive question. Bloody morons.
As for Jake, of course he,s devastated. I should imagine, and I,m only guessing like we all are, that he simply can,t face talking to anyone. I should imagine he,d break down in tears.  :'( :'( :'(
(((((((((((((((Jake))))))))))))))))

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »
That could be the case for some people. However, I think it is mostly because Jake is Matilda's godfather. In many cultures holding the godfather title means that the parents of the baby and the person selected to be godfather or godmother have a close relationship. I know now it is more symbolic, but still.

That is exactly what makes me think they are close friends in real life, not just Jake and Heath, but also Jake and Michelle. If it were not for them making Jake the godfather of Matilda I would not have thought much about their friendship beyond the acting parts in the movie.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2008, 04:01:40 pm »
Did we ever get a confirmation from Jake, Heath or Michelle that Jake was indeed Matilda's godfather? Or is it a rumor that has become truth in our minds?

I remember there was a quote by Jake, something along the lines: "Yes, we are like best friends now, I have even been asked to be Matilda's godfather."

That quote (if somebody has the exact one) has always seemed strange to me, something Jake wouldn't say, because he/they is/are so private.

:-\

Good point!!! In reality I don't know that this is truth, it could be rumor or a misinterpretation of something Jake said. Jake also said that it was he and Heath that slept together and Michelle got pregnant. And we know that was just him joking around about the parts in the movie  :)

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2008, 04:13:38 pm »

Jack: “Is there anything interesting up there in Heaven?”

Ennis: “I was just sendin’ up a prayer of thanks.”

Jack: “Fer what?”

Ennis: “Fer you forgettin’ to bring that harmonica, enjoyin’ the peace and quiet!”

(Laughter follows)…

That is how I will remember Heath Ledger.

I have always loved that scene and when I did watch BBM since Heath's passing I thought about the same thing as you mention. That is one of those scenes that meant more this time. You know, the very first time I saw the movie I thought Ennis was gonna say something along the lines that the thanks was for them being together there. Of course that would be out of character for Ennis and more in line with my sometimes romantic ideas.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2008, 04:17:27 pm »
Good point!!! In reality I don't know that this is truth, it could be rumor or a misinterpretation of something Jake said. Jake also said that it was he and Heath that slept together and Michelle got pregnant. And we know that was just him joking around about the parts in the movie  :)

No, it's not a rumor. The godfather role is true.  It's cited so frequently in articles, reports and interviews that I'm sure it would have been contradicted on some official level by now if it was not true.

Yes, we have confirmation, from Heath himself, in an interview with him, Michelle (and others?). I watched it a number of times back in the day, and still have the Youtube clip bookmarked, but it has since been removed.  :-\ Nevertheless, there's no doubt about it. Someone asked at some Brokeback promotional press thing whether Ang Lee was the godfather of Matilda, given the way Heath and Michelle met, and Heath (and Michellle) seemed caught off guard, and so answered, no - in fact, Jake was her Godfather.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2008, 04:26:09 pm »
What a GREAT picture Amanda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did you find that one? I have never seen it before.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2008, 04:28:20 pm »
What a GREAT picture Amanda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did you find that one? I have never seen it before.

Thanks Friend!  ;D  It is a nice photo, isn't it?  It's currently on page 2 of the "Jake and Heath Together" thread in Chez Tremblay.  It was apparently taken around the time of/ at the Toronto Film Festival.  So, it doesn't pertain to the godfather question precisely.... but still it's a nice shot of them all together.

dot-matrix posted it there:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10470.msg204774.html#msg204774