Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain back in theatres  (Read 31282 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Brokeback Mountain back in theatres
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 05:56:11 pm »
Which is good, of course!! But also kind of horrible... It's like - hurry, we have to see that film with the dead actor now..

Sorry, it was just the first thing I felt, when I read your post Pete.

Of course, the more people see BBM, the better!!

j.U.d.E.

I completely agree with Jude. I don't think it's disrespectful of the theatres to show BBM now (how could it be? If they really want to do a tribute, there's no better way than to show BBM). But I think of possibly exploiting the situation (like I said before) and somehow I find it morbid in the way Jude described.

But over all, Mikaela, Katherine and everybody are right: the more people experience BBM, the better. And yes, it's a big legacy of Heath for sure.

My anger was/is a very personal and egoistic one; I've been waiting for soooo long - and now, when I don't want to see it, just now they show it.

I've talked to Kerstin and she absolutely wants to see it. But I can't see no BBM just now  :(.
You know, way back we talked about how some of us tend to start crying earlier and earlier in the movie, the more often we saw it. Then someone cracked a joke along the line of "One day I'll start choking up the moment the Focus Features logo is shown". I have the feeling this would be me now  :-\.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 06:01:57 pm »
I'm glad that Heath's movies are getting attention.

But, damn, I wish it could be for some other reason.  :(

Mel, you put it correctly in a nutshell.

:(

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 06:03:03 pm »
Then someone cracked a joke along the line of "One day I'll start choking up the moment the Focus Features logo is shown". I have the feeling this would be me now  :-\.

That sounds like something I would have said.

But I'm thinking of watching BBM on Friday night, as a tribute to Heath and his incredible work.

And I'm tearing up already thinking about it, so I'll probably be a blubbering mess by the time the logo shows up.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 06:03:31 pm »
You know, way back we talked about how some of us tend to start crying earlier and earlier in the movie, the more often we saw it. Then someone cracked a joke along the line of "One day I'll start choking up the moment the Focus Features logo is shown". I have the feeling this would be me now  :-\.

I know Chrissi, I was apprehensive before i watched again today. But now I'm really glad I did.

But I guess it's easier when you watch the dvd. If you get too upset or unsettled, you can always turn it off. In the cinema, you'd have to walk out...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:57:57 am by belbbmfan »
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 06:07:17 pm »
I'm hoping I can see it one of these days on the big screen. Maybe in SF. It seems they play it once a year.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 06:26:26 pm »
I'm hoping I can see it one of these days on the big screen. Maybe in SF. It seems they play it once a year.

And its our very own sfericsf (eric)who organises it! You can ask him about it at his blog.... http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8520.0.html
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 06:34:27 pm »
It reminds me of the cover of the either August or September 1981 issue of Rolling Stone Magazine. It featured a photo of Jim Morrison and the headline: He's Hot, He's Sexy and He's Dead. He had been dead for years, but had become an industry. I think it must be the process of becoming a legend.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 05:02:30 am »

Then someone cracked a joke along the line of "One day I'll start choking up the moment the Focus Features logo is shown". I have the feeling this would be me now  :-\.

Oh, I absolutely have done that.  I remember back in them days when I was going to see it in the theater every chance I could, when the Focus Features and River Road thingies came on, I would feel a kind of "Ahhhhh....finally where I need to be."  But then on subsequent viewings, it did turn into pre-sniffling, as it came on and I knew how it would go for the rest of the movie.  As it did go...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 10:49:13 am »
Well after I replied to Chrissi's post, I asked myself whether I would go to see it in the cinema if it had been on screen here currently. I think I would...

So, then I thought, what am I waiting for? It's not in the cinema, but I have the dvd. So, I put in the dvd and watched it again, this afternoon. I had the afternoon off, so I was all by myself.

And now, I'm glad I did. To be honest, I was dreading it a bit. But it was ok. I really got into the story as soon as Ennis got off of that truck in Signal. I hadn't seen it since we've been to Alberta last summer, so it was special to see the places we'd visited. I felt peace and warmth at the Dozy Embrace scene, just like I did when I stood there in July.

I cried at scenes I didn't cry about before. Hearing Ennis say 'Well, I guess I'll see you around then, huh' and Jack say 'Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it' was very emotional. It was tough watching the Alma and Ennis scenes...

But it wasn't very different that watching it all the other times. It was certainly intens, but I felt an even greater sense of appreciation for what a true masterpiece this movie really is. Because, this movie and Heath's Ennis, that's 'how come me end up here'. I owe you Heath.

:)

Hey Friend,

Thanks for this post.  This was essentially my reaction to watching BBM the Friday following Heath's death too.  The sameness of it was very comforting and I also got pulled right into the story (essentially as usual)... which was nice.  My reactions and emotions about all the scenes were definitely heightened throughout the viewing, but in a good way really.

About BBM being screened in theatres and increased interest on imdb, etc.  My feeling is that this is positive.  The idea that folks are focusing attention on the substance of Heath's amazing work with these kinds of things, seems to be a good thing from my perspective at least.   It seems to be a fitting and respectful tribute to him.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 11:00:26 am »

Hey Friend,

Thanks for this post.  This was essentially my reaction to watching BBM the Friday following Heath's death too.  The sameness of it was very comforting and I also got pulled right into the story (essentially as usual)... which was nice.  My reactions and emotions about all the scenes were definitely heightened throughout the viewing, but in a good way really.

thanks Friend.

Yeah, through all the sadness, I guess comfort was the main feeling I got from watching the movie again. It made me feel better.  :-*
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'