Author Topic: geography test website  (Read 16700 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
geography test website
« on: February 02, 2008, 06:04:38 pm »
Heya,

My Mom just emailed me the link for this website.  It's a really addictive little map game.  Enjoy!

http://www.travelpod.com/traveler-iq

:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: geography test website
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:21:22 am »
thanks this was so much fun : my first try I got 589,134 points, level 12, IQ of 134...whatever that means?

I'll go back from time to time and try again. how did you do? I hope that you beat me!

brokeplex

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:40:05 am »
Cute, Amanda!! Thanks for telling us about it.

It said I got 369,495 points and I have a Traveler IQ of 111, and I failed to make it past level 10.

Not too good, is it? :laugh:

>:( >:(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 01:10:29 am »
I don't know, David, you did about as well as I did (I think I got 366,000 or something) but it's mainly because I flunked Vanuatu and Brunei.  who the hell knows where Brunei is?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 01:15:13 am »
it is a tiny place near Malaysia and Borneo. they have lots of oil and a rich sultan. I think that 300000 plus is a good score!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 02:17:58 am »

Isn't it fun!  I'm glad you're enjoying it.  Yeah, my parents are completely addicted to this at the moment.

Which types of games are you all trying?  I've only attempted the "world", "North America", "USA" and "Europe" challenges.  There are some categories that I just know I would be miserable at, so I haven't tried.  I can't imagine how hard "Flags of the World" would be.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 02:40:21 am »
Isn't it fun!  I'm glad you're enjoying it.  Yeah, my parents are completely addicted to this at the moment.

Which types of games are you all trying?  I've only attempted the "world", "North America", "USA" and "Europe" challenges.  There are some categories that I just know I would be miserable at, so I haven't tried.  I can't imagine how hard "Flags of the World" would be.

I don't know which one I did Amanda. I just clicked on something and it started quizzing me.

There are different tests? I remember getting asked about capitals and world cities I think. It was hard to click on places like Israel, when I couldn't even see Israel on the map. I simply clicked on the general location of Israel and prayed for daylight! :laugh:

It became much more difficult around level 7 or 8.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 02:53:54 am »
I don't know which one I did Amanda. I just clicked on something and it started quizzing me.

There are different tests? I remember getting asked about capitals and world cities I think. It was hard to click on places like Israel, when I couldn't even see Israel on the map. I simply clicked on the general location of Israel and prayed for daylight! :laugh:

It became much more difficult around level 7 or 8.

Heya,

Yep, if you look just above where the map appears on the screen you'll see a menu list of categories.  You can choose the type of geography quiz that you'd like to try.  For instance, you can choose to do one that focuses only on the continent of Europe.  Or you can pick a quiz that's only about the U.S. etc.

When you first go to the site I think it starts with the "World" quiz by default. 

And, yes, the questions get more difficult as it goes from level to level.  The highest levels can only be accessed if you accumulate enough points in earlier levels. 

I don't think I've gotten past level 8 in any of the tests yet.  My Mom claims to have gotten to level 11 in the "World" quiz.

:laugh: You're right about the clicking aspect being really hard... especially for tiny countries. :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 03:04:19 am »

OK, as an example.  I just did the quiz titled "USA Challenge" and I got to level 7 of 8.  My score this time was 14,161.  In the little result window that comes up at the end it said: "Sorry you need 15,000 points to continue to the next level."

I think there are different maximum levels for each different quiz.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 03:05:22 am »
it is a tiny place near Malaysia and Borneo. they have lots of oil and a rich sultan. I think that 300000 plus is a good score!

Okay Mr "Know it all"!! ;)

Go back and take a different one and then report back to us. :laugh:

(Surely there's something in there he'll flunk!) ;)  ;)