Author Topic: Heath Ledger's Accidental Overdose - Discussion Thread (Was: Breaking News)  (Read 85107 times)

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
Re: BREAKING NEWS: HEATH LEDGER FINAL AUTOPSY RESULTS
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 12:36:39 pm »
I guess maybe the combination would bring on cardiac arrest?

Leslie?
All of those drugs actually suppress the respiratory system, not to mention numbing certain signals in the brain... such as the ones telling your lungs to breathe. The Restoril I think is a muscle relaxant as well. He just basically halted his bodily functions by putting them all in a kind of coma, I think.

this is all too much.

mvansand76

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 12:36:51 pm »
My biggest worry through all of this was the concern that Heath might have been unhappy or depressed in the time leading up to his death.  Given the amount of prescribed drugs he had in his possession, I still worry about what led him to feel the need for them... again, I'm just purely worried that he might have been unhappy.

The family's statement that they recently had a nice, long visit with Heath is certainly reassuring in regards to this question.

He was also really ill with pneumonia, according to his co-star Christopher Plummer, and the scenario that seems most plausible to me is that he might have had a high-grade fever and that can make you really feel weird and fuzzy in your head, and because he was alone, he could have woken up and thought that he had to take a pill because it had been a few hours, when in fact it had only been an hour or so.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 12:37:42 pm »
When you're exhausted, and you're ill, sometimes you'll try anything... and the fact that all the medications were prescribed gives a false sense of safety.

We don't know how much time elapsed between the ingestion of each drug. I wasn't suggesting he downed a handful of every drug all at once.

Since you quoted me, I'll just say that I didn't think you were implying that. I was thinking more of a serial injestion myself.

And I agree with you that the fact that medications are prescribed can give a false sense of security about taking them.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 12:40:14 pm »
He was also really ill with pneumonia, according to his co-star Christopher Plummer, and the scenario that seems most plausible to me is that he might have had a high-grade fever and that can make you really feel weird and fuzzy in your head, and because he was alone, he could have woken up and thought that he had to take a pill because it had been a few hours, when in fact it had only been an hour or so.

Does anybody know or remember if the initial autopsy report said anything about pneumonia? They must have examined the lungs, but I don't remember reading anything about confirming that he had a respiratory infection at the time he died.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2008, 12:41:16 pm »
All of those drugs actually suppress the respiratory system, not to mention numbing certain signals in the brain... such as the ones telling your lungs to breathe. The Restoril I think is a muscle relaxant as well. He just basically halted his bodily functions by putting them all in a kind of coma, I think.

this is all too much.

So he might just have stopped breathing?

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2008, 12:41:26 pm »
 :( there is still a part of me that does not believe it really happened even though I know it did - but that
said, I guess this news makes it official once and for all, so unfortunate, so final, so, so sad :'( :'( :'(
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2008, 12:41:33 pm »
My biggest worry through all of this was the concern that Heath might have been unhappy or depressed in the time leading up to his death.  Given the amount of prescribed drugs he had in his possession, I still worry about what led him to feel the need for them... again, I'm just purely worried that he might have been unhappy.

The family's statement that they recently had a nice, long visit with Heath is certainly reassuring in regards to this question.

You've summed up my feelings about his death. When someone is taking this amount of medication, there's something wrong, very wrong.

I'll guess we'll never know what was going on with him that he needed to take so much medication. And if we're all feeling so anxious about, i can't imagine what his family must be going through. And what Michelle will one day tell Mathilda...

This is such a tragedy.  :'(
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2008, 12:42:30 pm »
So he might just have stopped breathing?

Yup.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2008, 12:43:14 pm »
Does anybody know or remember if the initial autopsy report said anything about pneumonia? They must have examined the lungs, but I don't remember reading anything about confirming that he had a respiratory infection at the time he died.

"Me neither." And it would stand to reason that if he did indeed have a respiratory infection, there would have been strong antibiotics around. An early report said that antibiotics prescribed in England were found, but I guess that was false.

mvansand76

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2008, 12:44:06 pm »
When you're exhausted, and you're ill, sometimes you'll try anything... and the fact that all the medications were prescribed gives a false sense of safety.

EXACTLY what I have been thinking ALL ALONG.

Oh Heath, poor, poor Heath, I feel so intensely sad right now, to think this might have been prevented...

:'( :'( :'( :'(