Author Topic: The playlist on Heath's funeral unraveled...  (Read 19941 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: The playlist on Heath's funeral unraveled...
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 02:30:50 am »
Wow!
First off, I love that song!
Second 1979 was my first year as a teenager! Very important to me!
Third, on April 4th of this year I will be attending my Second Gay Rodeo. Had it not been for Heaths portrayal of Ennis I would not have gone to my first one much less my second one.
I owe all these amazing changes in my life to him. I hate to sound like some star struck stalker freak but it's true.
Watching Brokeback almost a year ago (4/10/07) changed my life. I saw in Ennis who I was and who I was destined to become if I didn't change. I don't think anyone else could have portrayed that role in a way that would have hit me so hard.
So again I say "Thank you Ennis/Heath for showing me the way".

Lee, you're story has been amazing. I completely agree with you.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 11:34:39 pm »
Chiming in late to say that "Wish You Were Here" and "Old Man" are two of my top three favorite songs.

I always loved the melancholy, bittersweet sound of both of them.  They've both come to take on deeper meanings as the years have gone by.

"Wish You Were Here" was the last song my Mom and I listened to together, holding hands, like we did many times when I was a teenager and we would sit listening in rapture to Billy Joel's "The Stranger" and "52nd Street" albums.  "Vienna" was our most favorite, followed closely by "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant."  It was Christmas Eve, 1992, when we sat holding hands listening to "Wish You Were Here."  After it was over, I told her how the wind at the end reminded me of my childhood - but not of the bad parts of which she was well aware - of the parts when I would lie awake at night listening to the winter wind howling outside my window and feel safe.  When she died, it became her eulogy.

Then, when Brokeback Mountain broke me in two, it became a eulogy to Jack - the wind clearly was him calling to Ennis.

Now it has taken on its deepest meaning yet.

And "Old Man" - that one I've always just loved on every level because it is just a beautiful, beautiful song, both lyrically and melodically.  And now, it speaks volumes.

I'm a lot like you were...

I'll love you and miss you always, Heath.
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 11:49:41 pm »
Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

Wow.  Just wow.

No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 12:00:19 am »
And then there's "Shine On, You Crazy Diamond" (which I'm now listening to, as it immediately follows "Wish You Were Here" on the album of that same name).  Again, a song that will forever be about Heath to me.

Shine On, You Crazy Diamond

No one knows where you are, how near or how far.
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Remember when you were young - you shone like the sun.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.

You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom,
Blown on the steel breeze.
Come on, you target for faraway laughter,
Come on, you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.

Well, you wore out your welcome with random precision,
Rode on the steel breeze.
Come on, you raver, you seer of visions,
Come on, you painter, you piper, you prisoner,
And shine.

No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2008, 06:41:34 am »
{{{{Barb}}}}

Thank you so much for sharing this...  I am going to download the entire album...

Mel

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008, 04:02:58 pm »
Susie, that line in Time always gets to me, too.  Especially "Racing around to come up behind you again."  What poetry.

My husband has long dreamed of writing a screenplay about his experiences in pilot training (for the Air Force) and having that song be the backdrop for the opening scene.  In fact, his telling me that was one of the things that made me fall in love with him - that and that the lines "When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye.  I turned to look, but it was gone - I cannot put my finger on it now, the child is grown, the dream is gone" always made him think of a particular moment in his childhood when he did in fact catch a fleeting glimpse - it was as if all of his life's possibilities flashed by him at supersonic speed.  I had had the very same experience, and to hear him say he did, too, told me that we had to be together.

The one time I saw Pink Floyd in concert - in 1994 at Joe Robbie Stadium (when they still called it that) - when they played "Wish You Were Here," every person in the audience sang every word, seemingly in perfect unison, pitch, and rhythm.  It was the most amazing concert experience of my life.  David Gilmore is absolutely one of my heroes.
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 01:26:04 am »
The Hollywood Sportatorium!  It was before my time down here, but I hear stories of it often.  :)

I see the Sound Advice Amphitheater has recently become the Cruisin' Amphitheater.  It was the Mars Amphitheater before Sound Advice, and something else again before that - all since I've been here (since 1993).

And the Bank Atlantic Center was once the National Car Rental Center (or NCRC), and before that, it was the Panthers Center, or something like that.

And then there's Joe Robbie Stadium...  Oh, screw it.  (Damn corporations.)
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 12:04:32 pm »
"Sport Hole" <--  :laugh:

You're in excellent company.  My son is a South Florida native, too.  :)

Where are you now, again?

No more beans!