Author Topic: Offensive Drug Ads on TV?  (Read 9488 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Offensive Drug Ads on TV?
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:17:04 pm »
Vaginal dryness? Erectile dysfunction? Bladder control and urinary incontinence?

And they put them on at SUPPER TIME!! God, who wants to hear about this while they're eating? And I don't have kids, but I'm sure they're asking questions about it. "Mama, what does erectile dysfunction mean"? "Daddy, what's a "vaginal" "?

God, how horrible!  :P

And now we find out some of these pharmaceutical manufacturers aren't even being honest with us...

http://body.aol.com/news/health/article/_a/congress-probes-doctors-role-in-drug-ad/20080207112009990001

And it's not like we can run to the pharmacy to buy most of these pills ourselves! I think they are trying to turn us into a bunch of hypochondriacs, hoping we'll run straight to our doctor and nag him or her to give us some.

These commercials are on ALL THE TIME! When is enough ENOUGH? In light of what happened to Heath, I am even more offended by these ads than I ever was before!  >:(

Your thoughts?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Offensive Drug Ads on TV?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:26:32 pm »
Granted, the subject matter is a bit daunting and the timing can be unfortunate, but I don't believe in sheltering kids from the reality of their bodies and the correct terminology for body parts.

I also think the commercials do a great service because these commercials actually detail the side-effects of the medications on TV - not hidden in the very small print or missed because the doctor was too preoccupied and the patient too unknowing to ask.

It boggles the mind because the side effects of some drugs are death and cancer!

injest

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:44:01 pm »
well the problem is ANY medicine can result in death, Del....it is on just about everything.

and half of them don't even tell what they are for! and how do you know if it is something that would even work with the other stuff you take?

Who goes into the doctor and tells HIM what they want? It is one thing to be informed another to be a sheep!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:56:17 pm »
well the problem is ANY medicine can result in death, Del....it is on just about everything.

True, but when they point it out especially - and on TV no less - that you can die or get lymphoma, I think that's saying a lot about who has already suffered from taking the drug and actually reflects well on the pharmaceutical companies for admitting as much on national TV.

and half of them don't even tell what they are for! and how do you know if it is something that would even work with the other stuff you take?

Who goes into the doctor and tells HIM what they want? It is one thing to be informed another to be a sheep!

Heh, lots of people I know actually.  They have a long term condition, they keep up on the latest discoveries and drugs and actually do bring up to their doctor they would like to try drug X and what does he think?  Heck, I learned about the latest birth control pills on TV.

injest

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:58:37 pm »
I just am real leery about taking commercials at face value.....if they will lie about those strips whitening your teeth they will lie about that drug....they are trying to sell you something...of course they are gonna spin it to make it seem really good.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 11:02:52 pm »
I just am real leery about taking commercials at face value.....if they will lie about those strips whitening your teeth they will lie about that drug....they are trying to sell you something...of course they are gonna spin it to make it seem really good.

Well absolutely you should take commercials with a grain of salt, but as far as controlled substances are concerned, they do have to pass FDA testing, and they do have to prove that they actually do something.  There are laws about that kind of misrepresentation.  Now granted, all pills don't work for all people, but [shrug] everyone is different.

They lied about whitening strips?   ???

Mine worked just fine and my dentist said the peroxide in them was mild and would just remove superficial stains.

injest

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 11:16:22 pm »
Well absolutely you should take commercials with a grain of salt, but as far as controlled substances are concerned, they do have to pass FDA testing, and they do have to prove that they actually do something.  There are laws about that kind of misrepresentation.  Now granted, all pills don't work for all people, but [shrug] everyone is different.

They lied about whitening strips?    ???

Mine worked just fine and my dentist said the peroxide in them was mild and would just remove superficial stains.

OMG!! GIRL!!

you didn't hear about that???

oh lort....

well I am glad it worked out for YOU....

by the way...

apropos of nothing....have you had a liver screening recently???

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 11:37:19 pm »
OMG!! GIRL!!

you didn't hear about that???

oh lort....

well I am glad it worked out for YOU....

by the way...

apropos of nothing....have you had a liver screening recently???

No and I've been using whitening peroxide gels for years now.  If it's good enough for Hollywood...

Are they supposed to be dangerous?

injest

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:44:22 pm »
No and I've been using whitening peroxide gels for years now.  If it's good enough for Hollywood...

Are they supposed to be dangerous?

LOL!!

no I was just yanking your chain!!

*Jess hides behind David so Del can't punch her*

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 11:45:59 pm »
LOL!!

no I was just yanking your chain!!

*Jess hides behind David so Del can't punch her*