Author Topic: Got A Forum Idea?  (Read 11069 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Got A Forum Idea?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 01:57:27 am »
Hi Phillip,

I didn't realize til tonight that the Brokeback Mountain Fan Fiction Forum included poetry threads!  I would have been contributing haikus, etc., had I known.  Do you think you could add "and Poetry" to the title of the forum?  It might help others find their way to the poems, too.

Thanks  :)

Meryl
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 10:38:54 am »
Hi Phillip,

I didn't realize til tonight that the Brokeback Mountain Fan Fiction Forum included poetry threads!  I would have been contributing haikus, etc., had I known.  Do you think you could add "and Poetry" to the title of the forum?  It might help others find their way to the poems, too.

Thanks  :)

Meryl

Sounds good to me.  I will take care of it.

I have a couple of ideas that have been percolating, so I thought I would post them here to see if there is any interest.

One is that I think as we grow, Movie Resources could be subdivided into a few different sections to make things easier to find.  Perhaps something like "Brokeback Mountain/Reviews and Commentary" and "Cast, Crew, and Other Projects" and "General Interest"?

The "child board" concept would probably be the best way to handle this, but the major issue with that is always the possibility of burying threads.  Maybe it's not such a big deal on the Movie Resources section.  I am considering a more permanent "content management system" approach for a long term archive of resources and remarkable threads.  It would look more like the system in place on the home page of this site, except there will be sections.

Another idea, and this may be macabre, but the idea has stuck with me for > 1 week so I'm writing it to get it off my mind:  I notice that there are a several people who have been brave enough to discuss the deaths of people close to them - Nancy and Gay come to mind immediately, but I believe I've read about others too.  What do you guys think of an 'In Memoriam'-type thread for specific posts like this to both honor these memories and so that they don't get lost in the shuffle as things become busier and harder to manage.

Maybe one large thread with all of these?  I could also make it into articles on the aforementioned content management system if it appears like these won't get many actual replies, but are intended more as stand-alone messages.

Also, people tell me you can set it up to receive an email if someone replies to your post, but so far I have only seen that available as a feature if you check the box for it in each post you write, under 'additional options' in the posting section. Any way to make it a default feature?

Click Profile, then Notifications and E-Mail and you will find a powerful set of options where you can request notification by e-mail of anything from the threads you have started to all threads (not recommended because you'll be buried in e-mail).  I am aware the look and feel of those messages is not the greatest right now, but it works.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 11:54:02 am »

This it not exactly an idea for a new forum, but maybe some sort of holiday/vacation calender could be added to BetterMost.net. Sometimes people don't post for a while and you start to think about them and wonder where they are or even get worried about them. If we had a special place for it, members who know they'll be away for a certain time could post there, telling the others they'll be on a summer holiday, on a weekend trip or whatever.

What do you think?

:)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 01:53:24 pm »
Phillip, thanks for adding "Poetry" to the Fanfiction title!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 11:50:34 pm »
Maybe one large thread with all of these?  I could also make it into articles on the aforementioned content management system if it appears like these won't get many actual replies, but are intended more as stand-alone messages.

I like this idea, Phillip.  The important thing to me is these In Memorium-type postings do not get 'lost in the shuffle'.  Indeed, they do not require many if any replies, but I don't like the idea of them being buried and hard-to-find for the people to whom they matter most.

OK - next idea for your list....I would like to see a forum topic dedicated to activism...stories of people who are already involved in various causes, generation of support for this existing work, ideas people want to generate interest in...with relevant information about contacts, dates, and so forth.  I have an informal of list of posts in this category.

BTW I saw your post on wranglers and thought it excellent.  I hope it generates lots of response.

-Lynne

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 02:53:01 pm »
This it not exactly an idea for a new forum, but maybe some sort of holiday/vacation calender could be added to BetterMost.net. Sometimes people don't post for a while and you start to think about them and wonder where they are or even get worried about them. If we had a special place for it, members who know they'll be away for a certain time could post there, telling the others they'll be on a summer holiday, on a weekend trip or whatever.

Folks should be able to add events to the calendar now, regardless of what they are.  Just be aware that the whole forum will see the events scheduled.  If that's fine with the person putting things up there, it's fine with me.

Offline David

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 10:52:18 pm »
Phillip!

The Riverton Weather databox is great!    Are we getting one from Childress Texas to put next to it too?    ;D

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 10:57:46 pm »
Phillip!

The Riverton Weather databox is great!    Are we getting one from Childress Texas to put next to it too?    ;D

For now I will just have the one for Riverton as the most important part of the story is a Wyoming one.  I am testing these from a variety of sources, and they are subject to being moved.  People need to refresh the forum page if the data looks outdated.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 08:18:48 pm »
Phillip!

Wow, David!  You read my mind! 

Phillip, I love the Riverton weather box too!  And, yup, I was thinking that it would be great to have either Childress or Lightning Flat.  Can you believe that Lightning Flat is a real place?  I just did a few searches and it seems to be a "discontinued" post office... but still, it's a real place.  I think Jack and Ennis should have equal representation around these parts (you may know I'm the board's main proponent of lack-of-competitiveness between our boys).  And, we all know that there can't be an Ennis without a Jack.
 ;)

cheers!
Amanda
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 11:15:16 pm »
Wow, David!  You read my mind! 

Phillip, I love the Riverton weather box too!  And, yup, I was thinking that it would be great to have either Childress or Lightning Flat.  Can you believe that Lightning Flat is a real place?  I just did a few searches and it seems to be a "discontinued" post office... but still, it's a real place.  I think Jack and Ennis should have equal representation around these parts (you may know I'm the board's main proponent of lack-of-competitiveness between our boys).  And, we all know that there can't be an Ennis without a Jack.

Perhaps I can find a way for John to insert code to alternate the weather data.  I don't want a whole mess of boxes on our page at the same time, but I wouldn't mind alternating the images as people browse our pages.