Author Topic: POLL: Heath Charity Donation  (Read 30943 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
POLL: Heath Charity Donation
« on: February 20, 2008, 02:24:32 pm »
Friends, as per Elle's suggestion, I have narrowed down our choices to the five organizations that received ten or more votes in the original poll.

Please place your vote within the next week.

Go here to review the information about the charities listed in the poll.

Thanks!  8)

Donations at present total $1,086.34.

To increase your donation or to make a new donation, go here for instructions on how to donate.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 10:12:30 am by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: NEW POLL: Heath Charity Donation (Vote for 2)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 02:30:13 pm »
Thanks High Priestess!  I selected Variety and Matthew Shephard.

Great job with this project Friend!  :-*

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 02:35:43 pm »
Thanks Meryl.

I cast my vote and chose Variety and ALAFA.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 03:21:39 pm »
Hi Meryl
ALAFA got my vote. I'd prefer to support them but if it will be something else it's fine with me. I really think that it is a wonderful thing, us coming together from around the world  helping eachother through difficult times and doing something meaningful to honor this actor that we admired so much. And still admire.....

I also want to thank you Meryl for this wonderful job you've done  :-*

If there is a need for money to flowers for Heaths birthday, please get in contactwith me. I so want to be a part of this.

Greetings to all of you involved in this  ;)

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 03:41:45 pm »
David Wirrpanda Foundation, and Matthew Shepard for me.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 04:33:56 pm »
All of them are good, but my votes go to Variety and especially to the David Wirrpanda Foundation, because I really think that 'going local' is often overlooked.

Also, Variety is a charity supported by Jake Gyllenhaal too. It makes it a little bit more special..  ;)

j. U. d. E.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:42:49 pm by j. U. d. E. »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 06:47:32 pm »
I voted only for the David Wirrpanda Foundation because Heath supported it during his lifetime, because it has offices in Perth, Australia, Heath's birthplace, and,  as silly as it may sound, because David Wirrpanda took the time to attend Heath's memorial service in Perth.  Heath loved Australia; it was his real home, not SoHo, Brooklyn, or L.A.  And I can't help feeling that if Heath had spent more time in Perth, things might have turned out differently for him.

I don't know if we are planning to notify his family of our donation, but if we are, I feel it would be more meaningful to them if a donation was made to a charity they are familiar with.  (And a Perth-based charity would know how to notify his family.)

That said, all of the charities listed are for worthwhile causes, and any of the others would make a fine choice, too.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 08:10:37 pm »
I voted only for the David Wirrpanda Foundation because Heath supported it during his lifetime, because it has offices in Perth, Australia, Heath's birthplace, and,  as silly as it may sound, because David Wirrpanda took the time to attend Heath's memorial service in Perth.  Heath loved Australia; it was his real home, not SoHo, Brooklyn, or L.A.  And I can't help feeling that if Heath had spent more time in Perth, things might have turned out differently for him.

I don't know if we are planning to notify his family of our donation, but if we are, I feel it would be more meaningful to them if a donation was made to a charity they are familiar with.  (And a Perth-based charity would know how to notify his family.)

That said, all of the charities listed are for worthwhile causes, and any of the others would make a fine choice, too.

Very well put, Fran....

I voted for Variety and David Wirrapanda but if it comes to choosing one (which I would support) David W. would get my vote.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:33:54 pm »
Heya,

All of them are good, but my votes go to Variety and especially to the David Wirrpanda Foundation, because I really think that 'going local' is often overlooked.

Also, Variety is a charity supported by Jake Gyllenhaal too. It makes it a little bit more special..  ;)

j. U. d. E.

I like your points here Bud.  And, while I voted for Variety and Matthew Shephard... I'd certainly feel good about the David Wirrpanda Foundation too.

Just as a refresher... am I correct in remembering that Heath officially supported the first three charities on the list (Variety, LIFEbeat, and ALAFA)... and that Variety is the charity for which the BBM shirts were auctioned?   I was under the assumption that those BBM shirts were the reasons why both Heath and Jake were active with the Variety charity... but maybe I'm wrong in thinking this.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 01:59:21 am »

I was going to vote for another charity on our short list, but after reading what Fran wrote, I am now voting for the David Wirrpanda Foundation, for the reasons that Fran gave.  Heath, although living in NYC, was an Aussie and this is a Perth Aussie charity.  I forgot, how do we know heath supported it?

I encourage others to state their reasons for their vote.  This exchange of ideas will help us all make a good collective decision.  I still think it should be one donation to one charity, since it is not a huge (but is a substantial) donation and it would mean more the the recipient, IMHO, if if were to go to one charity.

Pete 
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?