Author Topic: POLL: Heath Charity Donation  (Read 30940 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: NEW POLL: Heath Charity Donation (Vote for 2)
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 10:49:20 am »
I still have not heard back from the Wirrpanda Foundation director.

It really would be nice to get a sense of how they respond and how they describe their program.  The manner in which they respond to you might be an interesting way to get a sense of that charity and how they're run.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 11:13:54 am »
It sure would be nice if Clarissa got a reply to her e-mail from the David Wirrpanda Foundation....

In the meantime, here's a recent article on David Wirrpanda that mentions the foundation:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/an-eagle-aiming-high/2008/01/06/1199554487643.html

I'm surprised that he's only 28 years old.  Somehow I got the impression he was older.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2008, 11:29:12 am »
It sure would be nice if Clarissa got a reply to her e-mail from the David Wirrpanda Foundation....

In the meantime, here's a recent article on David Wirrpanda that mentions the foundation:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/an-eagle-aiming-high/2008/01/06/1199554487643.html

I'm surprised that he's only 28 years old.  Somehow I got the impression he was older.
Thank you for the article! I will read it when I'm home. He's 28? That's Heath's age....

I am looking forward too, to a reply by the foundation. Would be awesome to know what/how they reply.

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 11:36:59 am »
Thanks Fran, that's a very interesting article giving good insights on Wirrpanda's background.

As for the lack of answer so far, it may well be due to realities in the field. The Foundation may not have much staff (only a manager for Perth and one for Pilbarra are mentioned on the website, in addition to 3 Role Models, one of who being David, who probably don't spend much time, if any, on admin duties). The staff/volunteers are probably so busy with the daily running of things that letters/messages of seemingly non urgent nature tend to be put on the side... then go astray and get forgotten.

If one of our Aussie friends found an opportunity to give them a phone call, they might stand a better chance to get to know more about the Foundation.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 12:10:27 pm »
As for the lack of answer so far, it may well be due to realities in the field. The Foundation may not have much staff (only a manager for Perth and one for Pilbarra are mentioned on the website, in addition to 3 Role Models, one of who being David, who probably don't spend much time, if any, on admin duties). The staff/volunteers are probably so busy with the daily running of things that letters/messages of seemingly non urgent nature tend to be put on the side... then go astray and get forgotten.

I would think/hope that an inquiry about making a donation would be considered important business by a small/local charity.  It's pretty fundamental fundraising strategy to treat potential donors well and to reply to their offers and questions.

Their responsiveness to questions does seem to be an indicator (of some kind) about the charity.  And, I do think questions should be answered before a donation is made (in the case of any charity inquiries about how money is spent, etc. should be addressed on a basic level before donations are made... I think a lot of charities would expect this kind of correspondence as part of normal business practice).

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2008, 12:27:29 pm »
Responsiveness may or may not be an indicator of the quality of an NGO/Foundation. I have seen NGOs doing the most excellent job in the field and using their money in the most effective way but being much less efficient with their administration because they were using their resources fully to get things done. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that's right, and I am not saying that not answering is necessarily a good sign! But a donation of the size of ours, although it would probably be very welcome, may not be big enough to mobilise forces that are needed immediately by some kid with an urgent problem. I am not sure I am making my point very well here.

On the other hand I have seen NGOs so busy accumulating donations that work in the field was not done as well as it could, and donations were used to do marketing for more donations rather than for actual work.

Which does not mean that questions should not be answered, of course they should. All I wanted to say is, perhaps let's give them another chance by facilitating the answering process with a phone call.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2008, 12:36:38 pm »
Which does not mean that questions should not be answered, of course they should. All I wanted to say is, perhaps let's give them another chance by facilitating the answering process with a phone call.

Oh yes.  I completely agree with this.  I certainly think they should be given some time to reply and a phone call is good idea too.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 11:24:36 am »
Any news on this project lately?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2008, 12:41:23 am »
Any news on this project lately?

A)  Do we know where we would send birthday flowers for Heath?  If so, I would suggest that Peachy use the memorial flower money for birthday flowers.

B)  I would like to feel clearer about whether we want to send all the remaining funds collected to the charity with the most votes, or do some sort of split between the top two charities?  I am inclined to be persuaded by Pete and others that more money to one may be the way to go, but maybe we should take a poll on just that - whether to send the money to a) one charity, or b) two charities.

As I type this it's 19 for the Wirrpanda Foundation and 15 for the Matthew Shepard Foundation. 

C)  Heath's birthday is April 4th, less than a month away.  I think it would be good to have made the decisions and made the donation(s) by then, in honor of his birthday.

What do you all think of my little A), B), and C) points?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 12:53:44 am »

A)  Do we know where we would send birthday flowers for Heath?  If so, I would suggest that Peachy use the memorial flower money for birthday flowers.

B)  I would like to feel clearer about whether we want to send all the remaining funds collected to the charity with the most votes, or do some sort of split between the top two charities?  I am inclined to be persuaded by Pete and others that more money to one may be the way to go, but maybe we should take a poll on just that - whether to send the money to a) one charity, or b) two charities.

As I type this it's 19 for the Wirrpanda Foundation and 15 for the Matthew Shepard Foundation. 

C)  Heath's birthday is April 4th, less than a month away.  I think it would be good to have made the decisions and made the donation(s) by then, in honor of his birthday.

What do you all think of my little A), B), and C) points?

Heya Elle!

From my perspective...

A) I think the idea of sending flowers to the cemetery is nice idea and I would fully support it.  However, I think sending them to his family (or some such similar gesture... if that's the idea here) might come across as odd.  Or might re-open some grief-related wounds for the family.  But, that's just my own personal feeling on the flower idea.

B) I like the idea of sending a donation to one charity.

C) I think his birthday is a great marker to use for this project in terms of timing.