Author Topic: POLL: Heath Charity Donation  (Read 30906 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: POLL: Heath Charity Donation
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2008, 02:32:09 pm »
Wow, Phillip.  Thanks for pursuing that.  I never heard back from them, from my one email.  Good work!  And thanks Meryl, for chugging along on this project with its unexpected turns.

Having been involved with non-profit work (and being president of one such organization), my suspicion here is that this is not a large foundation with a significant permanent paid staff.  In such cases, people do the organization work when they have enough free time, and there are periods (usually between board meetings) when correspondence starts to pile up.  I think what triggered our success was when I started e-mailing and faxing other contact people within the organization, which probably helped get their attention.  I'm glad we've established contact.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2008, 04:05:30 pm »
I've figured out that, after conversion fees and PayPal fees, we have $1,256.98 in total donations to contribute to the Wirrpanda Foundation.  However, I need to transfer some money into my PayPal account to have enough to send.  This is because some of it came to me in cash and checks.  This will take 3-5 days to transfer from my checking account.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure how to effect the actual PayPal transaction.  There is no mention of PayPal on the actual donation form on the website.  They mention something called BPAY and give an account number, but PayPal asks only for an email or phone number when you say you want to send money.

Phillip, do you think it will be sufficient to enter their email?  I don't want the funds to go astray.  I might wait til all the funds are available and try a test run for $10.00 and see if it goes through.  I'll fill out the donation form and fax it so they have all our info.  Did you get charged for your faxes?

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2008, 08:41:32 pm »
Thank you again Meryl, for figuring out the mechanics of it all.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2008, 08:45:24 pm »
Thank you Meryl! I hope you'll manage with the transfer! Keep us posted.

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2008, 10:26:34 am »
Great job Meryl and Phillip!   :-*

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2008, 01:53:27 pm »
What Amanda said!  :-*

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2008, 04:42:56 pm »
Meanwhile, I'm not sure how to effect the actual PayPal transaction.  There is no mention of PayPal on the actual donation form on the website.  They mention something called BPAY and give an account number, but PayPal asks only for an email or phone number when you say you want to send money.

Phillip, do you think it will be sufficient to enter their email?  I don't want the funds to go astray.  I might wait til all the funds are available and try a test run for $10.00 and see if it goes through.  I'll fill out the donation form and fax it so they have all our info.  Did you get charged for your faxes?

I have researched the various funding options we have to get our contribution to them.  All have fees.  Wiring money internationally direct to their account is probably going to be the most expensive, but each bank is different.  Their bank account info is on the link below.  Using Paypal for funding from a eCheck (your checking account) or from the Paypal balance already on your Paypal account involves a 2.5% currency conversion fee and a $5 transaction fee which is taken from the contribution.  They also take credit cards, and if your bank is a credit union or at least not a money grabber, they may only charge a 1.5-2% foreign currency conversion fee, making it the cheapest option.  I don't recommend mailing them a check or money order drawn in Australian dollars - that can get expensive and complicated to handle in both directions. 

So, if the funds are primarily in your Paypal account already and not in a checking or savings account, I recommend simply using Paypal to transfer the funds drawn on your available Paypal balance (there are no additional fees beyond the currency conversion and transaction fee).  If you have the money primarily in your checking account, then doing a Paypal eCheck or debit Visa/Mastercard transaction are the best options because both charge similar fees.  It's also possible to do a combinaton of the two.  The fees seem mostly percentage-based, not flat rate.

The exchange rate is a factor.  As of today, based on the amount earlier in the thread, you'd enter $1313.74 AUD.  Any fees are deducted from that amount when sent on to the recipient when using Paypal.

So here are instructions:

Start here.

PAYPAL METHOD: ECHECK

Click Donate button.
Enter dollar amount of contribution in Australian dollars and then login to Paypal account.
Under the confirmation screen, verify exchange rate.  If wildly off, start over at the original link.
Choose "change payment method" and select eCheck option, which will associate with the checking account you configured Paypal with.
Confirm transaction and send.

PAYPAL METHOD: USE PAYPAL BALANCE

Click Donate button.
Enter dollar amount of contribution in Australian dollars and then login to Paypal account.
Under the confirmation screen, verify exchange rate.  If wildly off, start over at the original link.
By default, funds transferred come from your Paypal account balance.

PAYPAL METHOD: COMBINATION OF THE TWO

(If you have some money in your Paypal account and the rest in your checking account, this option will work)

Click Donate button.
By default, Paypal will first exhaust all available funds in your Paypal account.  The remaining balance will be drawn from the checking account associated with your Paypal account.

USE A CREDIT/DEBIT CARD

Click on PDF contribution form.
Enter pertinent details with Visa or Mastercard number.
Fax it to them at 011-61-8-9381-5991, or you can fax or e-mail it to me and I can forward it on to them.  My 24 hour fax is 585-935-7196.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2008, 04:46:51 pm »
Another e-mail from them:

Hi Phil,

I’m not sure if Lisa has replied to you or not.  I am her Administration officer.  Thank you for raising money in Heath’s honor for our foundation which he was and still is an ambassador for (in his memory).  We have all been affected by his untimely death also.  We have pay pal facilities on our website if that would be helpful.  www.dwf.org.au on the support us tab and then Donations.  Thank you very much again.  Wishing you and your online community all the very best.

Kind Regards,

Jodie Schroder
Adminstration Officer

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2008, 04:51:09 pm »
Another e-mail from them:

Hi Phil,

I’m not sure if Lisa has replied to you or not.  I am her Administration officer.  Thank you for raising money in Heath’s honor for our foundation which he was and still is an ambassador for (in his memory).  We have all been affected by his untimely death also.  We have pay pal facilities on our website if that would be helpful.  www.dwf.org.au on the support us tab and then Donations.  Thank you very much again.  Wishing you and your online community all the very best.

Kind Regards,

Jodie Schroder
Adminstration Officer

What a lovely email!  It's great to hear from them directly... and more than once!
:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2008, 07:40:58 am »
For those wanting to do something positive in Heath's name, I have something of a left field suggestion.

Many may remember that Australia's Olivia Newton-John is a cancer survivor, but only recently did I see a spot on morning television (here in Oz) that Olivia is leading a walk to Beijing along with many other celebrities, athletes, and other notable people to raise money for cancer research.  Among them is Adam Sutton, a friend of Heath Ledger and gay cowboy who worked with Heath on Ned Kelly, and whom Heath had called before BbM began filming saying that he'd just read this script and it was like reading a story all about Adam.  Well Adam is currently on this walk with Olivia and he had pledged that all money raised by him will be donated in Heath's name.  So, indirectly as it may be, if you'd like to donate money to a worthy cause that will be made in Heath's name, have a read of this site and be sure to follow the links to sponsor Adam Sutton.

Honestly folks, as Olivia has said, even $5 will make a real difference.

NAME: Adam Sutton Cowboy, Author, Australia
STAGES: All stages

WHY HAVE YOU JOINED THE WALK:
Cancer touches everyone - my grandfather, Poppy Sutton, died of throat cancer and like anyone else, I've had friends and other relatives affected by it. I've joined Olivia's walk to raise awareness and raise money.

WHAT TRAINING HAVE YOU DONE:
I'm naturally fit, in my everyday work I am outdoors all day, working with horses. I've been doing extra training through - running, swimming, taking on the odd hike.

WHY SHOULD PEOPLE SPONSOR YOU:
I hope to get a lot of support from the gay community because I want to represent the community as best I can. Also, I've decided to do the walk in my mate Heath Ledger's honour and to donate the money I raise for the appeal in Heath's name. Anyone who was touched by Heath's life looking for a way to honour his memory, here is one small way to do it and I know he'd be rapt.

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO:
Every aspect of it - standing on the Great Wall, experiencing the camaraderie of the group as we head to Beijing, and getting people around the world involved in the project.

Here's the site's url: https://www.greatwalktobeijing.com

And here's a link to Adam's page: https://www.greatwalktobeijing.com/store/walker/item/austent/7239/walker.html
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare