Author Topic: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories (UPDATE)  (Read 91006 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2008, 08:50:02 pm »
ooooooh! i LOVE ice cream!  thanks!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2008, 09:20:19 pm »
and now... *drumroll*

For those who don't get Flist notices, I have started posting the edited revised version of 'Dupree's Choice.'  And so far, 10 chapters are up on TCReader starting here:

http://tcreader.livejournal.com/146465.html

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2008, 02:39:37 am »
Gosh, I need a holiday, or a slow period at work LOL

I can't keep up!

But thanks anyway Louise. I'll catch up eventually.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline acht-acht

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2008, 06:55:42 pm »
Louise, I´m more than glad you started posting Dupree´s Choice, I need my 10 chapters of something per day or I go nuts. I already started rereading TC.
I´m real curious what Duprees issues are with being queer - worse than a brain tumor, hm? He´s practically living & working in queer heaven (well, for the back of beyond anyways) and picked up a sexy as hell boyfriend, leaving a trail of semi-broken hearts ... So, is he just stubborn and contrary or ... ? I won´t go to bed till you post some new chapters!
Plus: I´m real sorry for Jeeves, I love it that Paula is such a tall animal and envy her the jutting hipbones she doesn´t like, and Nick coming out to his stunned parents just like that - his poor mother going nuts - he´s such a sweetpea.

Okay, must go now, have to read read read ... Clara

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2008, 08:17:46 pm »
I usually post things about 5 p.m. my time so it is middle of the night for you!  I hope you can hang on till tomorrow!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2008, 01:04:38 pm »
..I´m real curious what Duprees issues are with being queer - worse than a brain tumor, hm? He´s practically living & working in queer heaven (well, for the back of beyond anyways) and picked up a sexy as hell boyfriend, leaving a trail of semi-broken hearts ... So, is he just stubborn and contrary or ... ? 

Hi Clara -  I'm not sure if Dupree's being stubborn or contrary - maybe just scared and confused. The way I see it, he may be living and working in "queer heaven " LOL! - but the world outside of that is still an unaccepting place for a gay person, to say the least, and he's well aware of that. He was shot, after all, by a "queer-hater" because someone mistook him for Ellery.  But I don't really think his fears are all about his physical safety - I think it's exactly what we hear him thinking in Chapter 44 of "The Long Way Home."

Am I like Colson, then... fightin cause I don’t want ta be queer, fightin cause I can’t accept it, I look down on queers as not normal? Didn’t I always think I was more open-minded than that?

Easy ta be open-minded when I ain’t one of em. He slowed to a fast walk, leaning down, catching his breath, and peered into the gloom ahead of him on the lonely road. Easy ta be hetero an nice an sweet to the queers, if I ain’t havin sex with a man at night when I get home, nice an safe an secure with a tall blonde on my arm, bein normal.

Yes, I also look forward to my "ten-a-day!"  ;D

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2008, 01:14:59 pm »
Louise, I had to tell you how much I'm enjoying my re-read of "Dupree's Choice."  I remember the first time reading it, we were all breathless with anticipation (I totally relate to how Clara is feeling!), but now I find I'm able to absorb the story in a different way and I have an even greater appreciation for how honestly and deftly you've handled this story.  I always admire the fact that you never flinch in the face of unpleasant truths and insist on giving us such human characters, complete with human frailties.  Truly remarkable.  Remember when you were waiting for us to come after you with pitchforks? LOL! 

Here's a little homage to Chapter 13 - little Nicky Sampson's favorite childhood toy! ;D

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2008, 03:22:15 pm »
god I loved Play-doh when I was a kid! I was OBSESSED with it!

And yeah I remember how nervous I was at this particular point in the story when Nick went down to the Carousel bar essentially cruising for "straight men" who were desperate and easily conquered.  I wasn't sure whether anyone would keep reading after that!

Good thing you all did!

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2008, 12:11:46 pm »
Louise, I´m more than glad you started posting Dupree´s Choice, I need my 10 chapters of something per day or I go nuts. I already started rereading TC.
I´m real curious what Duprees issues are with being queer - worse than a brain tumor, hm? He´s practically living & working in queer heaven (well, for the back of beyond anyways) and picked up a sexy as hell boyfriend, leaving a trail of semi-broken hearts ... So, is he just stubborn and contrary or ... ?

Clara this is a great discussion about Dupree's sexuality - I had similar thoughts initially. It seemed he was fighting the possibility of being queer and more or less justifying that he was not because of his history dating women. I loved the chapter on 'percentages' (TRS?, sorry cannot recall) - whereby Dupree acknowledged he was something like 80% heterosexual and 20% queer.  :laugh: At first I wasn't sure I liked Nick for Dupree, especially after his antics - he seemed too attention seeking and immature for our gem Dupree. However, in a sense they're both experiencing some of the same coming out issues at different stages - Nick to his parents and Dupree to himself, his friends/co-workers in general.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline acht-acht

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2008, 08:12:18 pm »
Damn, a hard time for Jeremy! Now I imagine he maybe always harbored the suspicioon that if he really *was* gay he´d probably be a total bottom, and that didn´t go down so well with him. They sure have a lot of exploring to do.

Well, and I really don´t hate Nick, cause he´s obviously even more confused than Jeremy; he has a lot more fucking experience, but less than zero relationship experience, what he´s had so far was the super-antagonistic-etc-opposite of a relationship. I mean, he just panicked because he saw something he really really wanted all of a sudden, and didn´t know how to hold on to it. So the tiniest rejection becomes a huge thing, and when things are messed up, there´s nothing better than to go and mess them up even worse.
I believe he didn´t do it to spite Jeremy, like Bill with Ellery, it was all sheer panic.

If Nicks mother *doesn´t* have a heart attack from all this turmoil (knock on wood), everybody will probably feel a little more relaxed when the next desaster strikes.

Oh, and little Pookie ... well, whaddayouknow ...

Clara