Author Topic: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories (UPDATE)  (Read 90976 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2008, 10:04:08 pm »
Yay!  Jeremy saying this:

“Are you sure? Cause once it’s said it ain’t ever gonna get unsaid....

and Nick saying this:

“Ya got me now.”

Ahhh.....just perfect.   :)

Thanks,
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2008, 12:35:44 am »
Okay so now, I am in a quandary.  I dug out 'Red Stallions for Christmas' and to my very great surprise, the plot has Colson and Ellery agreeing to have the girls move down to Tourmaline for the next semester in January.

And I don't remember having written that part of the plot at all... clearly, since I based at least two stories on their going to the college up north since then!

Can anyone of you avid rereaders remember if there was a reason this changed somewhere, without my doing a frantic review of all the stories since the Christmas ones?  I am sooo confused!!  It also means that I will have to rewrite 'Red Stallions for Christmas' to fit with the subsequent tales.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2008, 01:40:30 am »
I don't know if this helps - in TRS, Chapter 35 there is mention of the girls taking college courses.
     “An in January her an her sister are gonna be startin some secretary courses at Yavapai College up there.”

College tuition arrangements are discused in The Law: Chapter 49 - it is also mentioned that Katie Ann might go to Tourmaline to help care for Colson while he is sick (but no overt agreement between Colson and Ellery regarding the girls moving to Tourmaline for college - though it may be kind of implied):

“Laura is givin Pam shit about disownin her an kickin her out a the house if she lets you pay for her ta go ta college. An now Katie Ann has got this idea she should come down ta Tourmaline an look after me while I’m sick.”

I don't know if The Rookie is too far down in the series but there is also mention of the girls attending the community college in Chapter 60:
     "Ya know things haven’t been right since you ponied up all the money for them ta go ta community college..."

Overall, if I understood the question correctly, there does not seem to be an explicit verbal agreement between Colson and Ellery regarding the girls moving to Tourmaline for college.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline acht-acht

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2008, 05:49:53 pm »
Ha - now I know why TRS doesn´t just keep coming ... story mix-up?? To bad I haven´t read all the stuff you´re editing now. I´m rereading everything on tcreader from the beginning now but I´m only 2 chapters into Second Chance, so, no girls moving nowhere yet.
But I´ll keep my eyes open.
And I also really really NEED to read the story with Ellerys POV soon! Like now.
Small Circle of Friends was just the sweetest story - that Colson finally got the concept that they´re something like parents for the terrible femme guys from the Red Stallion & actually came up with the idea to invite EVERYBODY, even Wayne (or especially Wayne), made me oh so happy. And it was such a big step to realize that he can´t go on agonizing over Adam cause it´s killing Ellery; and Ellery has to realize that it makes him mad sometimes and he can´t help it, even if he wants to cut Colson every slack in the world!

I´m just a little sad for Jeeves, really. Everybody doesn´t want him, and he can´t even come to the party. He ain´t such a bad guy, right?

Clara

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2008, 06:07:56 pm »
hi Clara, if you would like to get the new, revised, 10,000 word version of 'What I Did On My Day Off' I can send it to you but I am not yet ready to post it on TCReader.  I have to get 'Red Stallions for Christmas' sorted out.  If you send me a private message with your email address here on Bettermost I'll send it to you!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2008, 07:11:01 pm »
Okay, I think I got 'Red Stallions for Christmas' untangled.  Much easier untangling that than gutting the entire premise of the current story!

For those who need a link, here it is:

http://tcreader.livejournal.com/173810.html#cutid1

Offline acht-acht

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2008, 05:27:13 am »
Dear Louise, I haven´t thanked you yet for mailing me What I Did On My Day Off. It made me most happy - Ellerys grumpyness about fucking Bill, and then his instant chrush on Colson, the bad closet case, ha. All sweet. I´ve read it five times at least! Thanks! Clara

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Tales of Greenlea County - Discussion of All Stories (UPDATE)
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2009, 10:34:40 pm »
I made an update to the index page to account for the completed latest story, "The Persistence of Memory"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/288008.html

Also, I have compiled a character index - which I will do for all of the books.  Here is the attached spreadsheet for all of the characters for Taking Chances.  In EXCEL format.

Guess how many characters there are in Taking Chances?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2009, 05:56:34 pm »
Here is the updated spreadsheet which includes "Looking for Answers", which I have now edited and updated.  Anyone who wants the latest version, please let me know - the overall changes were not substantive at all, but I do have a Word document of it.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2009, 07:20:29 pm »
Thanks, Louise!  Wow, 64 characters so far and you're only up to "Looking for Answers"!!!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain