Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Songs
« on: February 27, 2008, 05:55:45 pm »
View: thread | flat | inline | nest

SubjectPosted byDate 
Songs
  by chowhound   3 minutes ago (Wed Feb 27 2008 13:44:06) Edit

Along with some other Brokies, I've been examining the scripts which predate the published version of the script. (We have six of these scripts in all). In these scripts a number of songs are specified. These songs I'll list below. If anybody has any information about them - writer, singer, lyrics, date, currently available or not, etc. - I'd be grateful if you'd pass such information along to me. As well, you might like to speculate on why this song was specified for this particular scene in the movie:

1. Patsy Cline:"Walkin'After Midnight". Played on truck radio as trucker drives Ennis to Signal.

2. Johhny Cash: "I Walk The Line". Played on a radio as Jack is shaving.

3. Tex Ritter: "Bad Brahma Bull". Jack plays it on his harmonica after putting up second tent.

4. Hank Williams: "Kaw-Liga". Jack plays it on his harmonica after untangling sheep.

5. Roger Miller: "Dang Me". On Ennis's truck radio; Ennis and Alma inside. (Deleted scene).

6. Kitty Wells: "It Wasn't God Who Made *beep* Tonk Angels". Played as Jack and Lureen dance.

7. Statler Brothers: "Flowers On The Wall". On Lureen's car radio when she and Jack are making out.

8. Patsy Cline: "Crazy". On Jack's car radio when he is driving up to be with Ennis after receiving the "divorce" postcard.

9. Redbane: "Come And Get Your Love". On jukebox when Cassie first meets Ennis.

10. Glen Campbell: "Southern Nights". Played as Ennis is eating pie in coffee shop.

11. Johnny Paycheck: "Take This Job And Shove It". On car radio as Ennis is driving up to Lightning Flats. (Deleted scene).

12. George Straight: "All My Exs Live In Texas". On Alma Jr.'s car radio as she arrives to visit Ennis,

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Songs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 07:02:33 pm »

If anybody has any information about them - writer, singer, lyrics, date, currently available or not, etc. - I'd be grateful if you'd pass such information along to me. As well, you might like to speculate on why this song was specified for this particular scene in the movie:

I would assume most all of these songs are available in one form or another...

As well, you might like to speculate on why this song was specified for this particular scene in the movie:

12. George Straight: "All My Exs Live In Texas". On Alma Jr.'s car radio as she arrives to visit Ennis,

I can certainly see why this song might have been originally chosen to play on her car radio as she drives up.  ;)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 02:24:26 am »
Along with some other Brokies, I've been examining the scripts which predate the published version of the script. (We have six of these scripts in all). In these scripts a number of songs are specified. These songs I'll list below. If anybody has any information about them - writer, singer, lyrics, date, currently available or not, etc. - I'd be grateful if you'd pass such information along to me. As well, you might like to speculate on why this song was specified for this particular scene in the movie:

Interesting topic.
Reading your list I feel like must have a problem with my ears. I didn't hear any music in half of the scenes you were mentioning.  :-\

This is one example. Can others verify this song in this scene?

3. Tex Ritter: "Bad Brahma Bull". Jack plays it on his harmonica after putting up second tent.

4. Hank Williams: "Kaw-Liga". Jack plays it on his harmonica after untangling sheep.

Now that's something I've definitively discussed before. I personally don't hold any strong opinion about which song(s) were played by Jack on the harmonica, but I've discussed with folks who were very sure it was "He was a a friend of mine" on both occasions.
I personally think it was the same song both times, but would't even guess which one.

The fact that a song is mentioned in an old, earlier version of a script does not necessarily mean it was indeed used in the movie.

Offline chowhound

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 03:03:02 pm »
View: thread | flat | inline | nest

SubjectPosted byDate 
Songs
  by chowhound   3 minutes ago (Wed Feb 27 2008 13:44:06) Edit

1. Patsy Cline:"Walkin'After Midnight". Played on truck radio as trucker drives Ennis to Signal.

5. Roger Miller: "Dang Me". On Ennis's truck radio; Ennis and Alma inside. (Deleted scene).

6. Kitty Wells: "It Wasn't God Who Made *beep* Tonk Angels". Played as Jack and Lureen dance.

7. Statler Brothers: "Flowers On The Wall". On Lureen's car radio when she and Jack are making out.

8. Patsy Cline: "Crazy". On Jack's car radio when he is driving up to be with Ennis after receiving the "divorce" postcard.

9. Redbane: "Come And Get Your Love". On jukebox when Cassie first meets Ennis.

10. Glen Campbell: "Southern Nights". Played as Ennis is eating pie in coffee shop.

11. Johnny Paycheck: "Take This Job And Shove It". On car radio as Ennis is driving up to Lightning Flats. (Deleted scene).

Be assured, Penthesilea, there is nothing wrong with your ears. None of these songs appear in either the published script or the movie. In the published script two songs are specified and would act as replacements: Roger Miller's "King of the Road' replaces Patsy Cline's "Crazy" as Jack drives up to be with Ennis after receiving the divorce postcard and Steve Earle's "Devil's Right Hand" relaces Redbane's "Come and Get Your Love" when Ennis and Cassie first meet. Somebody has identified what is playing on Alma Jr.'s car radio and apparently it's not "All My Exs Live In Texas". We can leave what Jack is playing on his harmonica until another time.

The point of this script examination is to find out whether we can better understand how the final version of this great film was achieved. In this, the text is of primary importance but I don't think the music for the movie should be totally ignored. Hence our interest in what music was originally chosen for this movie.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 02:58:42 am »
Be assured, Penthesilea, there is nothing wrong with your ears. None of these songs appear in either the published script or the movie.

That's reassuring to hear  :laugh:
Seems I got you totally wrong. I thought you meant they were indeed played in the movie and I was like :o WTF?

The point of this script examination is to find out whether we can better understand how the final version of this great film was achieved. In this, the text is of primary importance but I don't think the music for the movie should be totally ignored. Hence our interest in what music was originally chosen for this movie.

Now that's something entirely different, I can see where your interest comes from. But alas, I don't have any insight to add. Hope you'll get some input by music freaks.

Offline chowhound

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:23:37 pm »
Here is what I've been able to find out about songs 1-7 on the song list I posted a little while back (more to follow):

1. Patsy Cline.
    a) "Walkin' After Midnight" (1957).
    b) Song of yearning for a lost love. (Ennis or Jack in future?).
    c) On trucker's radio as they drive towards Signal.

2. Johnny Cash.
    a) "I Walk the Line" (1956?).
    b) Song about faithfulness and love. (Jack over twenty years - or Ennis?)
    c) On portable radio as Jack shaves.

3. Tex Ritter.
    a) "Bad Brahma Bull".
    b) Song about a young man's first unsuccessful attempt at bull riding - a number of parallels to Jack.
    c) Jack plays it on his harmonica after putting up second tent.

4. Hank Williams.
    a). "Kaw-liga".
    b). Lighthearted song about a wooden Indian figure outside a store who falls in love wiht his female counterpart
outside another store but cannot express this love. Playfully ironic in that Jack has now demnstrated his love for Ennis?
    c). Played by Jack on his harmonica after untangling sheep.

5. Roger Miller.
    a). "Dang Me".
    b). Fairly lighthearted song about an irresponsible husband who runs around, leaving his wife and baby child at home.
(Possible reference to Ennis and Jack later?).
    c). On truck radio in scene replaced by toboggan scene.

6. J.D. Miller
    a). "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels".
    b). About an unfaithful married man who has caused "many a good girl to go wrong". An "answer" song, apparently, to
"The Wild Side Of Life" which portrays a faithless bride-to-be who has left her intended for another man. The modern
"strong" woman of the Miller song could prefigure Lureen's future success in the man's world of business.
    c). Sung on jukebox by Kitty Wells as Jack and Lureen dance.

7. Statler Brothers.
    a). "Flowers On The Wall".
    b). More modern, non-linear song sung by somebody - probably high on something - who is replying to someone's concern
for him. Firmly places the scene in the sixties. (Lureen, the modern, sexually liberated woman?).

Offline chowhound

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 10:31:25 pm »
And here's the same for songs 8-12.

8. Patsy Cline
    a). "Crazy".
    b). A poignant song about a woman who has been abandoned by somebody she's much in love with. Not particularly
suitable for the moment, except the song's final line - "I'm crazy for loving you" - could apply to Jack.
    c). On Jack's car radio as he drives up to be with Ennis.

9. Redbone.
    a). "Come and get Your Love".
    b). The lyrics are almost impenetrable but as the line "come and get your love" is sung over and over again, I
suppose it is a suitable song for Cassie.
   c). On jukebox when Cassie first encounters Ennis.

10. Glen Campbell.
   a). "Southern Nights" (1977).
   b). As it's such a "feel-good" song, it's in pointed contrast to the downcast Ennis eating his piece of pie on his
own.
   c). As Ennis is eating in the coffee shop.

11. Johnny Paycheck.
   a). "Take This Job And Shove It" (1978).
   b). As it's about a man who worked hard and long for little reward, it may reflect Ennis's situation in general.
   c). On Ennis's car radio as he is driving to Lightning Flats (scene deleted).

12. George Strait.
   a). "All My Exs Live In Texas".
   b). Not particularly appropriate as it's a fairly upbeat song about a man who now lives in Tennessee because all his
exs "live in Texas". Also the date is wrong - it was first issued as a single in 1987 but Alma's scene occurs in 1984.
   c). On Alma Jr.'s car radio as she parks when visiting Ennis.

Apart from the last song, most of the other songs seem to have been carefully chosen. Of course we wouldn't have heard
them in full but I can well imagine the some of us scurrying around to identify them and to work out the relationship
between the song and the scene in the movie in which it appears. I don't know who chose the songs but as all of them bar
one are in all the earlier scripts they may well be the choices of Diana Ossana  and Larry McMurtry.