Author Topic: user names  (Read 43507 times)

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
Re: user names
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2008, 10:05:01 am »

:) back in the early 90's when we only had the web and AOL, I had to pick out a screenname and
the first thing I thought of was my passion for cooking and all that it inferred and/or meant, hence
chef, and judy is my real first name.  I use it for everything now and anywhere I have to have a
a screen name - makes life a little easier.................. :D

and it appears that some here are lots more clever than I when it comes to names ;)
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2008, 08:49:06 am »
Uh oh.  I've been mentally pronouncing it Penth-uh-sih-LAY-uh.  :P

Me too!  :)

Judy, always good to have you here.  :)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2008, 01:55:58 pm »
I wanted my username to reflect my Native American heritage.  Littlewing   is the meaning of the first two letters (OL) of my first name in Apache, I believe.  I could be wrong about the tribe.  1957 is my birth year.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2008, 04:18:32 pm »
TOoP/Bruce...

Hmmm.  Bruce is my first name.  "TOoP" is "True Oracle of Phoenix" -- it was a loose associate of various things I was reading _ Françoise Truffaut's book on Hitchcock ('Tru'ffaut being the "oracle" of Hitchcock, a phoenix being a symbol of resurrection, as well as the place where the story in PSYCHO begins - my original account bjblakeslee had been deleted by trolls somehow).  Put together it sounded vaguely Harry Potterish, and it added another associative dimension to it.  The account was frozen by IMDb in June of 2007 for reasons that were never revealed to me.

"GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40", my current IMDb user name, was a second account I started for IMDb The Avengers board.  It is part of the name of an episode called "Whoever Shot Poor George Oblique Stroke XR40?" It was a sufficiently obscure episode from the Linda Thorson series.  George was a supercomputer who had barely survived an assassination attempt.  (The name choice was influenced by the fact that my original account had been "assassinated" by trolls.) At some point GOSXR40 was used by me to bump threads (since The Avengers board was dying of neglect) and it game me a way to save use the TOoP identity as an archivist, and Geo became my main thread bumper. 

Today, I use TOoP/Bruce on this board, and GOSXR40 on the other board.  I continue to repost significant threads from the other board on the other board, with links to where they are archived here.  People still come to IMDb wanting to discuss the impact of the film with others, and often these days, it can be awhile before they can connect with someone who can hear them out.  I try to connect people who are interested in further discussion to the main boards here.  I am always gratified when I see that a person I've been in contact with at IMDb has made it here.

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2008, 06:11:52 pm »
Well I use various names at different places on the web, depending on whether I want to be recognised, or whether I'm going incognito. Most of the web forums I'm on are web design ones and I tend to be well known there with the name I use, but if I have a really stupid question I can't figure out the answer to I sometimes go to somewhere else where I'm not so well known or a regular poster where I use a different name.

Most places I'm "Fallen Angel"  or some variation of that, which I picked because it's the title of my as yet unfinished novel. The other one I use a lot these days is Bliss - BlissC is short for Bliss Carrington, which is the pen name I use when I'm writing. Bliss, because my favourite band of all time is Faithless, so the "Bliss" bit's after Sister Bliss, one of the members of Faithless, and Carrington because it was my grandma's maiden name. She liked it that I wanted to use it for my pen name.  :)

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2008, 06:55:40 pm »
My story has some similarities with BBM´s,but she was like Ennis; denying "a sweet life together",being afraid with other people's opinion and not feeling well with her feelings 100%.Although I was like Jack,always pleading for getting that "sweet life",always getting deceived in my deepest feelings and hopes, I call her "Jack" because He's my favorite of the two cowboys.And she's my private Jack because our story is very special and after so many years,and forever,it will remain something between the two of us-no matter how many partners we'll have or with who we'll be...-
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2008, 10:41:15 pm »
easy, I live in the metroplex, I log onto a brokie web site - brokeplex.

alternatively it could be interpreted as representing the complex feelings of a brokie

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2008, 11:26:47 pm »
Yep!  ;D  I get a real kick out of people calling me Del or Dela.  I'm being called "Of" or "Of the".

I knew your name meant "Of the something," but I always call you Del also. Funny how our minds work.

That's right, Del. In college, someone typed it into the computer with their fingers in the wrong place, so all of the correspondence I got from the school from then on spelled my name that way.

I work in the admissions office at my college, mostly entering data for prospective/new students. I hope I never do that to someone! (Although I suppose it would provide them with a good screen name.)

When I was getting my first email address, I tried to do my initials (CMR) with numbers that actually meant something, but they were all taken. It kept suggesting CMR with different numbers that were free, and I finally got tired of trying and accepted cmr107. I justified it by the fact that my favorite radio station at the time was 107.7.

When I registered at IMDB, I used cmr107 because it was easy. I never expected to post anything at all, let alone become part of a whole comminuty. I kept it when I came to Bettermost so people would know who I was. I've been wanting to change it here, but I keep thinking that no one will know who I am if I do.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2008, 01:19:07 am »
My story has some similarities with BBM´s,but she was like Ennis; denying "a sweet life together",being afraid with other people's opinion and not feeling well with her feelings 100%.Although I was like Jack,always pleading for getting that "sweet life",always getting deceived in my deepest feelings and hopes, I call her "Jack" because He's my favorite of the two cowboys.And she's my private Jack because our story is very special and after so many years,and forever,it will remain something between the two of us-no matter how many partners we'll have or with who we'll be...-

Thanks for sharing this Friend.  Your user name certainly is very meaningful for you it seems.  :-*

Really, thanks to all of you.  This is such an interesting thread!  And, it makes me feel like I should think up a more interesting user name. :-\ ;D 

Although, I've had this one the whole time I've been here... so I feel pretty attached to it at this point.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ZK

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2008, 04:42:28 am »
I play computer game called Flight Simulator, NZ063 is my online call sign

Bit of advice for the fear of flying friends, there are courses you can take, or alternatively just let the cabin crew know you're a bit anxious about flying. I had a lady flying with us the other night, she was in quite a state, my colleague and I spent a bit of time with her throughout the flight and she was as good as gold. She made the efford in the terminal to thank us.  ;D