Author Topic: What do you think of homeschooling?  (Read 15141 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What do you think of homeschooling?
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 09:30:56 pm »
Sometime, there is no choice but to homeschool ?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 10:08:34 pm »
What siouxi and sunshadow said. 

I think it should be an alternative, but there should be strict controls in place.  The parent who is to teach needs to be certified to teach.  Why would a parent take a child out of schools, so as to give their child a better alternative, but then not want to be the best sort of teacher for them?  The parent should file with their local school the yearly lesson plans and the child should be expected to take the national tests along with the other children to make sure the parent is keeping up with what their child should be learning and perhaps the child should join the children of their own age group at the local school for playground time, especially when they're young so as to be socialized.  There are many reasons children are homeschooled.

Yes, children pick up bad habits from their peers, but they also pick up coping skills that can't be learned anywhere else.  The world is not Disneyland and a child learns how to deal with strangers in their age group, make friends, learn who they are no other way than to interact with them.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 12:02:17 am »
What siouxi and sunshadow said. 

I think it should be an alternative, but there should be strict controls in place.  The parent who is to teach needs to be certified to teach.  Why would a parent take a child out of schools, so as to give their child a better alternative, but then not want to be the best sort of teacher for them?  The parent should file with their local school the yearly lesson plans and the child should be expected to take the national tests along with the other children to make sure the parent is keeping up with what their child should be learning and perhaps the child should join the children of their own age group at the local school for playground time, especially when they're young so as to be socialized.  There are many reasons children are homeschooled.

Yes, children pick up bad habits from their peers, but they also pick up coping skills that can't be learned anywhere else.  The world is not Disneyland and a child learns how to deal with strangers in their age group, make friends, learn who they are no other way than to interact with them.

What she said.

I'll admit, however, that I come at it with a biased point of view.  My home life as a child was hell.  My Mom drank herself into oblivion and was in the bag by about 2:00 p.m. every day by the time I was six.  School was a sanctuary.  It was the only place where adults paid any attention to me.  I also got bullied, made fun of because I wore my brothers' hand-me-downs, and ostracized.  But the adult attention I craved far outweighed the rest.

If you're a fully-functional adult who is also accredited in teaching and truly feels you can do it better than your child's school for whatever reason, I say power to you.  But if you're *only* doing it in an attempt to shelter your child from something beyond your control, while I feel for you, I think you're not doing your child any favors in the long run.
No more beans!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 12:06:24 am »
With drug pushers beating up on students who refuse to take dope, no wonder parents think of home schooling ! Right ?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 02:17:26 am »
With drug pushers beating up on students who refuse to take dope, no wonder parents think of home schooling ! Right ?

I'm sure that is part of the reason why some parents decide to home school. Schools are MUCH more dangerous these days than they were when I was going to them. The idea of a student packing a gun into school and shooting students and teachers was unthinkable in my day. It never crossed my mind. Never! I doubt others considered it either.

No, back when I was in school if we wished to seek revenge on the teacher we'd plant something in her desk drawer, like a frog. OR, I remember one teacher I had, Miss Swisher. She was in her 80s, or at least she looked like she was in her 80s. She was a very frail little old woman. She taught high school English (sorry Shasta for what I'm about to say) and she wasn't too popular with the students. She was very strict! And she spoke impeccable English, something I admire now, but back then most of us found it annoying. Also her handwriting was so shaky we could barely read it. So..... (What I'm about to tell you I DID NOT DO! But I knew about it when it happened) somebody took some pot seeds and stuck them down in the dirt of the potted plants she had up on the windowsill. And they started growing! Every day she'd walk over there and water her marijuana plants. She had absolutely no idea what they were. I feel really bad now that I didn't say anything to her about it, but it was as funny as hell back then in 1978.

That's how we got revenge on teachers. And although it was very bad and very wrong, none of us considered actually killing our teacher, or our fellow students.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 12:26:57 pm »
Merci David !

You are right, that in the past, that there were no such  killings in our schools !

Now, there are unfortunetely more and more such violence !

In Quebec, someone adopted an youth from Africa and brought him to Quebec, but there at Montreal he murdered 16 women students at a technical college, because he was a muslim as a radical who do not accept educated ladies ! And lately, there was a similar terror, from foreign born who killed many in another college - and again, that murderer simply do not wanted to accept our freedom in our culture of North America !
There are many cases like that where religion do not accept a person being free, such as women and gays are to-day in our democratic countries such as in the USA, Canada, England, France, and elsewhere ! It is very disturbing to find that such persons do not consider the freedom of others but only of themselves and their religions who enslaves others !! Plus, there are now too those in our countries who take drugs, lack social skills, etc., who murder fellow students and many teachers, because of varied so-called reasons, since their brains are now lacking free culture !

The last time  I went ot a school where I had an interview, I was shocked to find that all its doors were locked and I learn from the Principal/Director that there was a need to lock, since strangers enter it hurt students and teachers !

So, home schooling can now be considered in order to protect one'S CHILD AND EVEN THE TEACHER ??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 07:35:47 pm »
Maybe home schooling for my children would be the only solution in order to protect them since I am a gay man?

After going to see my lawyer this afternoon, I learned:
        Since I am gay man, new   neigbours lie: tells my lawyer I have communicable disease                   

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 04:22:06 pm »
I just discovered this thread!

We are a homeschooling family, actively involved in a lively, fun, academically exhilarating homeschool group.  My child loves to learn, is ahead of her peers in some ways (especially verbally, quelle surprise), kinda average in other ways, and not quite where she'll be soon in other ways (mostly math-related stuff).  but even in the not quite there yet ways, she's in the normal range.

We love homeschooling.  The main thing I need to make sure of is that I get breaks, so that I don't get overwhelmed and burn out.  But she gets lots of academic exposure and practice, lots of "socialization," and lots of attention to her own needs.  It's a good fit for us. 

We're in a science club and a new and emergent readers club.  With other homeschoolers, we participate in craft day, game day, building day, museums, plays, concerts, parks.  She takes a gymnastics class, goes to a Waldorf play group twice a week (those are my breaks), is playing violin with Mr. Meno, and still has plenty of time to draw, play with her dollhouse, do spontaneous living room dancing and singing shows, and Skype with Grandma. 

It's really great.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 05:43:15 pm »

We love homeschooling.  The main thing I need to make sure of is that I get breaks, so that I don't get overwhelmed and burn out.  But she gets lots of academic exposure and practice, lots of "socialization," and lots of attention to her own needs.  It's a good fit for us. 

Heya Elle!

I'm really glad it's working out so well for you and Mini-meno. :)

This kind of decision is clearly so personal and probably different for every family and child.

I'm responding here to what you said about needing breaks sometimes and the issue of socialization.  Because it strikes me as a big issue for an only child (maybe particularly).  I'm an only child and I went to public elementary school and junior high and high school.  I don't think the idea of homeschooling ever crossed my parents' minds.  Although, they were both very involved in my education and helped me deal with homework, etc.  My Mom was a "room Mom" a lot during elementary school (meaning she volunteered a lot in the classroom... especially for big events like class parties, etc.) and they were both on PTA committees, etc.. 

As an only child, as much as I love and adore my parents, there were times when I needed a break from my parents as much as they needed a break from me, I'm sure.  With school as a factor, having some independent time (away from parents) was built-in to a certain degree.  One of my very good friends has this phrase that I love -  "Too much togetherness" - which I always take to imply a situation where two people or a group of people love being together, but after too, too much time together start to either get on each others' nerves or simply need some time apart to refresh.  Between parents and an only child, speaking from experience, I think it can be an issue.

It's interesting though, throughout my growing up years I loved hanging out with my parents and their friends (when they would have dinner parties, etc.).  I think I learned how to socialize with adults really early.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 05:48:51 pm »
Heya Elle!

I'm really glad it's working out so well for you and Mini-meno. :)

This kind of decision is clearly so personal and probably different for every family and child.

I'm responding here to what you said about needing breaks sometimes and the issue of socialization.  Because it strikes me as a big issue for an only child (maybe particularly).  I'm an only child and I went to public elementary school and junior high and high school.  I don't think the idea of homeschooling ever crossed my parents' minds.  Although, they were both very involved in my education and helped me deal with homework, etc.  My Mom was a "room Mom" a lot during elementary school (meaning she volunteered a lot in the classroom... especially for big events like class parties, etc.) and they were both on PTA committees, etc.. 

As an only child, as much as I love and adore my parents, there were times when I needed a break from my parents as much as they needed a break from me, I'm sure.  With school as a factor, having some independent time (away from parents) was built-in to a certain degree.  One of my very good friends has this phrase that I love -  "Too much togetherness" - which I always take to imply a situation where two people or a group of people love being together, but after too, too much time together start to either get on each others' nerves or simply need some time apart to refresh.  Between parents and an only child, speaking from experience, I think it can be an issue.

It's interesting though, throughout my growing up years I loved hanging out with my parents and their friends (when they would have dinner parties, etc.).  I think I learned how to socialize with adults really early.

I can easily agree with all of this, A.  Homeschooling does not have to mean being in each other's pocket all the time.  She is 5 1/2 now though.  A good age to be spending a lot of time with one's family.  We have various breaks from each other arranged for nearly every day of the week, ranging from 2 to 6 hours.  At the moment, it's a good balance.  And I listen to her, and try to arrange the visits to friends she wants, with me, or solo, depending on the situation.

I always think that "homeschooling" is a misnomer.  A lot of homeschooling families are so active that home is not where they are much of the time.  But it's so nice to be able to be home together as much as we want, not separated into separate institutions for the best part of our waking hours 5 days a week.  It's a very privileged life really.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:25:07 am by Ellemeno »