Author Topic: jack's needs  (Read 4979 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
jack's needs
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:38:25 am »
i was thinking about jack's various needs in the movie compared to ennis's needs.  (sorry if this has been done before) but here's what i've come up with, which brings a smile to my face when i think about jack.
it kind of runs along the lines with the video 'twist of a bitch" (see thread), but goes a bit further into the character of jack vs. ennis.

jack's basic needs are expressed in many ways throughout the movie, which include food, shelter, warmth, sex, commitment, and love.
-he mentioned 'almost starved' when he talked about the year he was rodeoing, and looking to aguirre for work
-he asks ennis if he wanted to get something to eat the morning after the motel scene, and again, says 'i'm starving'.
-he complains about the beans, and wants a sheep
-also, "i come back here hungry as hell, and all i find is beans!"
-he wants his parka 'cause without it he'd "freeze to death"
-he complains that they're always "in the friggin' cold"
-he can't "make it on a couple of high altitude f--ks"
-he says that ennis "has no idea how bad it gets" not to have his sexual needs met
-he complains about seeing ennis every 'once in a while'
-goes to mexico to satisfy his sexual need
-takes up with randal for his need of company, companionship, sex, and maybe love?

there are many more examples i'm sure.
i also think about mrs. twist, and how she offered ennis coffee and cake, as if she assumed he wanted some.  i wonder if that's how she raised jack.....just taking care of his needs, and knowing what they were on cue.

ennis, on the other hand, seems to take things as they come, and doesn't complain much. 
-says "you got nothing, you don't need nothing"
-says "makin' a living is about all i got time for'
-says "if you can't fix it, you gotta stand it"
says "once burned" referring his thoughts on re-marriage

again, there is probably more examples

there are times when ennis does demand his needs be met
-when he yells at alma for going to work when he wants her to serve dinner
-when he has sex with alma in 'his' way....

but, i still think ennis was more comfortable 'going without' many of life's comforts than jack was, yet, they were both raised on the poverty line weren't they?

so, i dont' know.  just seems like jack was more of a expectancy on what he deserves in life? i'm not sure if that's how to word it.

any thoughts?

-

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: jack's needs
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 12:00:27 pm »
Any other needs ??

Interesting thread Forsythia !!

May I add less time... as to Jack needed less time from Ennis, but Ennis wanted more time ??

Puzzling ??

Au revoir,
hugs!!

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 01:10:48 pm »
hi artiste!
i think it was jack that needed more time from ennis.
i think jack had a lot more needs that he wanted/expected in life compared ennis, and i question why.  ennis seemed fine with doing without, yet jack seemed intolerant of it.

any ideas or other examples?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 01:31:07 pm »
Thanks Forsythia!

Your post is great, as it keeps the puzzle undone, right ?? !!

You are surprising me, in more that one way; you are asked to let me think about it (that), OK ??

Pour maintenant (for now), I think we need to find and add what both needed and found ??

As I must get back to work creating paintings which tasks I love, I will think about that (them Ennis and Jack & others) while I do paint on my canvas,
au revoir,
hugs!!  Sunny and warm here with snow melting, your way too?? You got these fleurs too now?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 11:21:16 pm »
i was thinking about jack's various needs in the movie compared to ennis's needs.  (sorry if this has been done before) but here's what i've come up with, which brings a smile to my face when i think about jack.
it kind of runs along the lines with the video 'twist of a bitch" (see thread), but goes a bit further into the character of jack vs. ennis.

jack's basic needs are expressed in many ways throughout the movie, which include food, shelter, warmth, sex, commitment, and love.
-he mentioned 'almost starved' when he talked about the year he was rodeoing, and looking to aguirre for work
-he asks ennis if he wanted to get something to eat the morning after the motel scene, and again, says 'i'm starving'.
-he complains about the beans, and wants a sheep
-also, "i come back here hungry as hell, and all i find is beans!"
-he wants his parka 'cause without it he'd "freeze to death"
-he complains that they're always "in the friggin' cold"
-he can't "make it on a couple of high altitude f--ks"
-he says that ennis "has no idea how bad it gets" not to have his sexual needs met
-he complains about seeing ennis every 'once in a while'
-goes to mexico to satisfy his sexual need
-takes up with randal for his need of company, companionship, sex, and maybe love?

there are many more examples i'm sure.
i also think about mrs. twist, and how she offered ennis coffee and cake, as if she assumed he wanted some.  i wonder if that's how she raised jack.....just taking care of his needs, and knowing what they were on cue.

ennis, on the other hand, seems to take things as they come, and doesn't complain much. 
-says "you got nothing, you don't need nothing"
-says "makin' a living is about all i got time for'
-says "if you can't fix it, you gotta stand it"
says "once burned" referring his thoughts on re-marriage

again, there is probably more examples

there are times when ennis does demand his needs be met
-when he yells at alma for going to work when he wants her to serve dinner
-when he has sex with alma in 'his' way....

but, i still think ennis was more comfortable 'going without' many of life's comforts than jack was, yet, they were both raised on the poverty line weren't they?

so, i dont' know.  just seems like jack was more of a expectancy on what he deserves in life? i'm not sure if that's how to word it.

any thoughts?

-

two very different men, who shared a summer and unexpectedly fell in love.

jack was more sensitive to the cold
jack needed liquor more than ennis
jack was picky about his food
jack needed quicker recogntion for his achievements than ennis
jack was more musical than ennis

just a few thoughts on a great topic

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:15:58 am »
good ones brokeplex.  i never thought of those examples.

jack also complained about not being able to sleep out there with the sheep, and ennis didn't seem to care, nor did ennis seem to care about the cat-piss-smelling pup tent.

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlinĀ“
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 01:26:10 pm »
I think that the main fact of all these differences is that,meanwhile Ennis life's motto was the famous "If you can't fix it,you've got to stand it",Jack's was "If you can't fix it by now,you've got to struggle to get it".IMO this is the greatest difference about them,that could explain all these nuances in their behaviours.What's your opinion about?.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are lifeĀ“s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 05:14:08 pm »
good ones brokeplex.  i never thought of those examples.

jack also complained about not being able to sleep out there with the sheep, and ennis didn't seem to care, nor did ennis seem to care about the cat-piss-smelling pup tent.

alltogether, Ennis is much more inured to the life of a rancher or cowhand than Jack. Jack was a great salesman, we know that because the very mistrustful LD let him sell his combines. I don't think that Ennis could sell handwarmers to the Eskimos, but Jack, he could sell them ice.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 08:59:10 pm »
Was Jack speaking in code when he talked about his needs? He complained about Aguirre making them break the rules by sleeping apart, but what he really wanted to say was "We should both be in this camp." I think sometimes his complaints were because he wanted Ennis to pay attention to him, to give him his time and care.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 11:11:44 pm »
Was Jack speaking in code when he talked about his needs? He complained about Aguirre making them break the rules by sleeping apart, but what he really wanted to say was "We should both be in this camp." I think sometimes his complaints were because he wanted Ennis to pay attention to him, to give him his time and care.

perhaps, but Jack did complain a great deal.

he complained about the :

1) beans
2) the cold not only on Brokeback but later in their last meeting in 1983
3) women taking too long in front of the mirror to powder their noses , to Randall in 1977
4) his hunger after a romping night of sex down at the Siesta motel
5) his loss of his parka
6) the fact the LD "hates my guts"
7) his daddy never once coming to see him ride
8) he kicked his truck  ;D