Author Topic: Loneliness in Intervals  (Read 6792 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Loneliness in Intervals
« on: May 22, 2006, 11:19:43 pm »
I've been thinking a lot lately about the problem of our boys spending so much time apart and the general theme of loneliness or isolation in BBM.  It occurs to me that even up on Brokeback during their first summer they already were forced to spend a great deal of time apart.  They were always watching each other either come or go.  Up to the sheep or back to the camp.  I think this is most clearly visualized in the flashback... where Jack watches Ennis ride away without looking back.  When Ennis says "I gotta go" it seems to be the catch phrase for how they ended up living their lives.  This coming and going on Brokeback sets the pattern for the rest of their lives and the much more prolonged separations during their 20 year affair.  The idea that happiness comes in waves or short bursts seems very important in BBM.  It's interesting that their moment of greatest ecstasy and explosive passion comes (I think) during the reunion kiss after their longest separation of all (4 years).  And, all this sets Ennis up for the final and most painful separation and the loneliness that he'll have to stand because he can't fix it.  Even up on Brokeback the first summer their happiness was certainly fraught, but it came to seem perfect and ideal in their memories.

I guess the bitterness or the bittersweetness of the loneliness has everything to do with whether or not there's a sense of a future beyond the loneliness... whether they'll be able to emerge out of the loneliness into a reunion or not.  This theme of the characters having confidence that another meeting is coming in the future (or not) came up in another thread and seems really important.

:'(
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 11:23:16 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Loneliness in Intervals
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 12:59:09 am »
Did you, Amanda, or anyone ever see that essay by some film critic arguing that loneliness was the main theme of the movie? I don't know that I'd go that far, but as I recall it was a really haunting and sad piece. (I thought it was by the the Washington Post's Stephen Hunter, but I just looked it up and it wasn't -- he wrote a different essay about Brokeback that I didn't like as much.)

Anyway. The idea of loneliness is definitely woven throughout the story -- the way even offhand mention of the word in dancehall music or bedroom conversation (followed by that plaintive wind howl) can trigger their looks of wistful longing.

Your mention of how bitterness exists when there's no sense of future reminds me of how Ennis' alley scene. He is so distraught at the idea that they are parting forever that it's just heartbreaking to watch, even though we viewers know they aren't separating permanently. I get sad even thinking of it. And that he's so upset even though he's off to get married! And in fact already is doing so before the crying scene is even over!

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 01:27:28 am »
I think Brokeback Mountain specifically shows us how men --all men-- struggle to connect, attach, and bond. But it's message is universal that without attachment, connection, and, ultimately, love, we are all stuck in our own trailers, remembering the things we'd change, or the words we'd say, if we ever had a chance to go back to that mountain.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 02:03:40 am »
I've been thinking a lot lately about the problem of our boys spending so much time apart and the general theme of loneliness or isolation in BBM.  It occurs to me that even up on Brokeback during their first summer they already were forced to spend a great deal of time apart.  They were always watching each other either come or go.  Up to the sheep or back to the camp.  I think this is most clearly visualized in the flashback... where Jack watches Ennis ride away without looking back.  When Ennis says "I gotta go" it seems to be the catch phrase for how they ended up living their lives.

I don't know if I really see their time on Brokeback as being necessarily about being "apart", more like the bread-winner going off to work and returning home to the love of his life, it even has a breakfast and supper motif.  I see the theme of what you're saying Amanda and I agree with the parallel you draw, but this is very different from the four year separation, with Ennis' becoming distressed in the alleyway since, from his perspective, this is the last he'll see of Jack Twist.

Once we get into the rhythm of the affair though, separation seems be more of an issue for Jack than for Ennis.  Ennis seems able to "know" that the love of his life is out there without the need to be with him.  Frankly I don't think Ennis could deal with more of Jack during this time, at least from a public-knowledge perspective, his paranoia wouldn't have allowed it.  For Ennis, the relationship seems ideal, or at least in balance between being with Jack (after all "going fishing" can be explained) and not being with Jack (the rest of his life).  I think Jack understood this, which explains why he never pushes Ennis after idea of the cow-and-calf operation is shot down.  That is of course until the idea of "a future" is threatened when Ennis puts off the next fishing trip until November.  Suddenly, and finally, Jack is forced to say things that he was unable to say at the motel, his breaking point having been reached.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 08:57:58 am »
Once we get into the rhythm of the affair though, separation seems be more of an issue for Jack than for Ennis.  Ennis seems able to "know" that the love of his life is out there without the need to be with him.  Frankly I don't think Ennis could deal with more of Jack during this time, at least from a public-knowledge perspective, his paranoia wouldn't have allowed it.  For Ennis, the relationship seems ideal, or at least in balance between being with Jack (after all "going fishing" can be explained) and not being with Jack (the rest of his life).

Chris, I agree that Ennis does not want more frequent rendezvous, for the reasons you mentioned. But I think he does feel loneliness -- he just deals with it, or represses it the way he learned to repress his attraction to men. A good illustration of this for me is the scene when his family is sitting around watching TV on Saturday night in their bleak little apartment and Alma suggests going to the church social. Not only does Ennis look bored and unhappy (and lonely!) in this scene, but it shows how lonely he is with everybody; he can't socialize with the "fire and brimstone crowd" -- that is, people who would disapprove of him and Jack, ie, (he assumes) the whole world. Compare how unhappy he looks there, to the way his eyes light up in that scene where he drives up to the campsight where Jack is waiting and they beam at each other. The pie scene is another study in abject loneliness. And he looks pretty lonely sitting in the bar drinking beer just before Cassie introduces herself. But loneliness is something he figures he can't fix and just has to stand.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 06:57:54 pm »
Also, remember the "You girls need a push or somethun" scene. Ennis is having a hissy-fit because Alma's going off to work, even tho dinner is on the stove. She will have none of him, and his daughters aren't even enthused about him joining in their playing. So lonely, so abandoned, he even kicks a can of ashes. Notice how he wears a vest with a red lining in that scene. Red, for passion, for longing. Ennis the orphan has a bad case of fear of abandonment.  :'(
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 07:56:14 pm »
Heya Front-Ranger,
I totally agree that he has a fear of abandonment.  I think this plays directly into his dry-heaves moment after the first summer and into his anger in the argument scene.  I do think there's a bit of a contradiction in Ennis (no surprise, probably) since I think he probably is also a true loner.  Yeah, I do think he does better on his own in between camping trips than Jack.  I think Jack needs or craves daily companionship much more.  I like the idea that Ennis can sustain himself when he's alone just knowing that Jack is out there somewhere and that they'll get together again sometime soon.  It's very interesting to me how little they communicate with each other between the camping trips.  No phone calls or letters.  I'm sure this makes it extra hard on Jack.  I think his little cry "you have no idea how bad it gets" really is like his breaking point about all this separation from Ennis. 
 :'(

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 09:11:56 pm »
Yes, he really knows how to put into words what we all feel. "Sometimes I miss you so much, I can hardly stand it." And when he says (goes and grabs Sparkle's signature) "...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get" he isn't talking about sex.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 09:14:50 pm »
Yes, he really knows how to put into words what we all feel. "Sometimes I miss you so much, I can hardly stand it." And when he says (goes and grabs Sparkle's signature) "...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get" he isn't talking about sex.

Very excellent Front-Ranger.  I agree... So what do you think he meant?
 ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 09:33:54 pm »
Well...you said it very well up there, he craves daily companionship. I think Jack takes after his mother, he had a very special close relationship with her and he's seeking to get that back with somebody else. Growing up in that ramshackle house it was him and his mom against John Twist and the hostile world.