Author Topic: Double meanings: Lines that can be taken more than one way  (Read 123054 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Double meanings: Lines that can be taken more than one way
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2006, 09:52:48 am »
Maybe they don't really like fish (whether in tacos or not ;D ). Hey, I can understand that!

I like Mikaela's explanation. And I don't know if this fits in at all, but there's this tradition of guys who fish telling made-up storied about the big one that got away... so maybe it feels more natural to lie about fishing?
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #171 on: June 16, 2006, 01:34:07 pm »
.......there's this tradition of guys who fish telling made-up storied about the big one that got away... so maybe it feels more natural to lie about fishing?

Hmmmmm......Based on that it's tempting to start looking for tall tale innuendo providing the double meaning in Ennis's tale that he "caught a bunch of browns and ate them up". But nope, I won't do that. 
Instead I'll point to the double meaning in  "That line hadn't touched water in its life!". It not only describes Alma's discovery, but is symbolic of the intended emotional and deeply personal connection that's never present between the two of them in all of Ennis's and Alma's marriage.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #172 on: June 16, 2006, 02:43:39 pm »
Instead I'll point to the double meaning in  "That line hadn't touched water in its life!". It not only describes Alma's discovery, but is symbolic of the intended emotional and deeply personal connection that's never present between the two of them in all of Ennis's and Alma's marriage.

Oooh! Good one, Mikaela! If water is a metaphor for true love and passion and all that stuff ... then here it is again! Alma stands there washing dishes in her dull "society" water (i.e., tap water), furious and hurt that the symbol of her love for Ennis (the note) never in its life touched the kind of water that courses through Jack and Ennis' relationship.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #173 on: June 16, 2006, 03:42:45 pm »

Oooh! Good one, Mikaela! If water is a metaphor for true love and passion and all that stuff ... then here it is again! Alma stands there washing dishes in her dull "society" water (i.e., tap water), furious and hurt that the symbol of her love for Ennis (the note) never in its life touched the kind of water that courses through Jack and Ennis' relationship.
These points are fantastic, I never thought there was a deeper meaning in Alma's words.
I was thinking about 'when you don't got nothing, then you don't need nothing'.
I guess Ennis was trying to put a brave face on the sad state of his life for Junior. And if Ennis was only talking about the furniture, I might just have believed him. But moments later, we and Ennis see the shirts and the immens tragedy of Ennis never being able to tell Jack what he really needed and therefore never getting that sweet life becomes so painfully clear. :'(

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2006, 09:13:26 pm »
I am reading through this thread and thinking .... Whoa!! You guys are very deep. I am a lot more simplistic. Here's one ...

When Alma says to Ennis,
"... And then you come back lookin' all perky and said you caught a bunch of browns and you ate them up."

The obvious interpretation is she knows what he has been up to with Jack.

Another interpretation is that "perky" could represent a phallic symbol and the "caught a bunch of browns"  could represent Jack. I will go no further with this interpretation.

(I hope all of you know that I tend to have a very saracastic sense of humor. :laugh:)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2006, 05:37:24 am »
Good to see this thread having a revival. :) Hi, dly64 nice to meet you.

I was thinking of returning to one of the much-discussed lines in the film: I just can't stand this anymore, Jack - with Ennis crumbling to his knees.  Thinking of how that statement and Ennis's inability to keep on his feet illustrates the double meaning of the verb "to stand".

It suddenly made me link to the famous "A house divided against itself cannot stand". That's a perfect description of Ennis, IMO - he's been divided against himself since he met Jack, one part of him battling the other, and the foundations have crumbled day by day. Now at their last meeting he can't stand, and he can't stand it, any more.

**Sniff**

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2006, 11:02:39 am »
By dly64
Another interpretation is that "perky" could represent a phallic symbol and the "caught a bunch of browns"  could represent Jack. I will go no further with this interpretation.

By Mikaela
It suddenly made me link to the famous "A house divided against itself cannot stand". That's a perfect description of Ennis, IMO - he's been divided against himself since he met Jack, one part of him battling the other, and the foundations have crumbled day by day. Now at their last meeting he can't stand, and he can't stand it, any more.

They never had to say those three-little-words. They demonstrated the sentiment far better through their actions. And Ennis showed it through his suffering--collapsing, dry heaves, tears all point up the complexity and depth of what he felt for Jack. If he’d never met Jack, maybe he could have suppressed/denied certain parts of his psyche, but “once burned” by love....Imagine that the “cause” of your pain is also the only person you can turn to for comfort, the only person who understands. Ennis so desperately clutches Jack’s coat. Jack holds Ennis so tenderly.

“It’s a short story, honey, it was only about 3 seconds I was on that bronc.” >> “It was only about 3 months I was on that mountain. Next thing I knew...”

Triple play!  Thanks, Friends.  That's the way to revive a thread, and a great way to start my Saturday.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2006, 07:13:38 pm »
I was thinking of returning to one of the much-discussed lines in the film: I just can't stand this anymore, Jack - with Ennis crumbling to his knees.  Thinking of how that statement and Ennis's inability to keep on his feet illustrates the double meaning of the verb "to stand".

The whole .... "I can't stand it" ... begins after Jack and Ennis' reunion:

Ennis: "If you can't fix it Jack ... you gotta stand it."
Jack:"For how long?"
Ennis:"As long as we can ride it .... Ain't no reigns on this one."

The last time Jack and Ennis are together, Jack says to Ennis (in one of my favorite lines):
"I tell ya what ..... the truth is .... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

And then there is Ennis' line to Jack after they have their row:
"I can't stand this anymore, Jack," and collapses in Jack's arms.

I don't think it is a coincidence. It is almost as if the story has bookends ... from the beginning of their affair (after their four year hiatus) to the last time they are together. Additionally, Ennis' collapsing into Jack's arms mirrors his collapse after he and Jack separate. The last time, however, Jack is there to catch Ennis. I think all of this symbolizes the end of their relationship in life (albeit unbeknownst to both of them).  Ennis' collapse ... feeling like he did when Jack left him at BBM .... could be a foreshadowing of the pain when he finds that Jack has left him again.
Diane

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2006, 08:18:02 pm »
It is almost as if the story has bookends ... from the beginning of their affair (after their four year hiatus) to the last time they are together. Additionally, Ennis' collapsing into Jack's arms mirrors his collapse after he and Jack separate. The last time, however, Jack is there to catch Ennis. I think all of this symbolizes the end of their relationship in life (albeit unbeknownst to both of them).  Ennis' collapse ... feeling like he did when Jack left him at BBM .... could be a foreshadowing of the pain when he finds that Jack has left him again.

This is why the point at which I always burst into tears is the dozy embrace. Well, for several reasons, actually. But a big one is the way, at the end, Ennis says "Gotta go, see you in the morning." Ennis always has to leave, and he always assumes they'll see each other in the morning. Once, they almost don't. The second time, they really don't.

Have I posted this already on this very thread? If so, sorry.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2006, 09:06:27 pm »
This is why the point at which I always burst into tears is the dozy embrace. Well, for several reasons, actually. But a big one is the way, at the end, Ennis says "Gotta go, see you in the morning." Ennis always has to leave, and he always assumes they'll see each other in the morning. Once, they almost don't. The second time, they really don't.

I agree with you re: the symbolism of Ennis always leaving. I also see this scene as Jack remembering the depth of his love for Ennis. The book says:

What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither explain nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace  satisfying some shared and sexless hunger ...... Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives."

OMG!! This is one scene (of many) that just kills me!
Diane