Author Topic: Double meanings: Lines that can be taken more than one way  (Read 122724 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Double meanings: Lines that can be taken more than one way
« Reply #270 on: October 12, 2008, 06:26:43 pm »
On my drive yesterday, I listened to the short story audiobook a couple of times (and the soundtrack too).  I was struck by a few ideas, that I doubt are new, but that I came to understand in a new way...I found this thread by a cursory search of 'not the swearing kind' so I'm going to post it here.

We've noted before that Jack (and Ennis) to some extent are the swearing kind - The first word uttered is 'Sh*t' after all.  In listening to the short story, I noted that during the Siesta motel scene when Jack is talking about trying to keep his truck running during the hard year he had rodeoing where he nearly starved, he talks about being under his 'c*nt truck'.

One of my thoughts is that because this is pretty extreme swearing, I think that later when Ennis describes Jack as not 'being the swearing kind' that he is more likely talking about Jack being one to take oaths, make promises.  I don't mean to imply that if Ennis had taken Jack's offer of a 'sweet life' that Jack would not have made a commitment to Ennis.  But the point is also made during this scene that Jack has been riding more than the bulls instead of rolling his own as Ennis has.

Another thought is the idea of interpreting Jack spending time 'under the c*nt truck' as metaphorical...can it also be related to spending time creating a family with Lureen and all the baggage that comes his way as being LD's son-in-law and working for him in the farm equipment business?  I realize that Jack is directly talking about his hard year rodeoing, but I see the possibility of extending this metaphor to include his marriage to Lureen and his relationship with LD.

FWIW.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #271 on: October 12, 2008, 09:46:21 pm »
I'm not sure I would agree with you about Jack's terminology, Lynne, I'm sorry to say. From the time I've spent around young men, roughnecks, rodeo people and rural people, I have to say that a certain percentage of them have nasty potty mouths. What's worse, it's like alcohol, the more you indulge in it, the more it takes to be effective. For some of these people, the F word is like saying "uh" or "you know" or "very."

Plus, young men's vehicles are thought to be female as ships are or hurricanes used to be. Jack calling his truck a c*nt is close to a term of endearment!! He probably imbued it with another layer of meaning, since he felt the oppression of what he saw as a female-dominated society, since Lureen sort of wore the pants in that household!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #272 on: October 12, 2008, 10:35:23 pm »
Was the term c*** truck, used in the movie?.....I dont recall hearing it. And I've just read the part in the book, and noticed it there for the first time.

I just think the use of c***, and fuckin this and that, is just to emphasise the word after it. Once upon a time those words were only spoken between men, and not within earshot of women, just out of courtesy. Nowadays, some women say it as much as men do.

So when two blokes get together like Jack and Ennis did, they get into their "blokey" way of talking with all the expletives.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #273 on: October 12, 2008, 10:44:42 pm »
No, Sue, I'm sure I would have remembered it if Jack had said that in the movie! That was one of the things left out, along with Jack killing the eagle, K.E. beating up his brother (and vice versa) and Mr. Twist pissing on his son.

However, Jack did kick the tires of the truck at the beginning of the movie, and he was somewhat disparaging of women, saying "You and Alma, that's a life" causing Ennis to respond "Now you shut up about Alma, this ain't her fault."

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #274 on: October 12, 2008, 11:14:18 pm »
The term is just in the short story, Katie, and it jumped right out at me because of the discussion in that McCain thread...got me thinking about a parallels between Jack's truck's mechanical failing and shortcomings later on in his marriage and business.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Katie77

« Reply #275 on: October 12, 2008, 11:27:16 pm »
No, Sue, I'm sure I would have remembered it if Jack had said that in the movie! That was one of the things left out, along with Jack killing the eagle, K.E. beating up his brother (and vice versa) and Mr. Twist pissing on his son.

However, Jack did kick the tires of the truck at the beginning of the movie, and he was somewhat disparaging of women, saying "You and Alma, that's a life" causing Ennis to respond "Now you shut up about Alma, this ain't her fault."

Yes I see your point there about Jack and his demeanour towards women. He did make it clear that women were a pain in the arse to his life and to what his life could be with Ennis, so his use of the phrase c*** truck, could have been a tongue in cheek, female defamatory expletive.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #276 on: October 13, 2008, 01:33:34 am »
A difference I noticed upon yesterday's reading concerned a difference between the SS and the film about how much Aguirre actually observed through his binoculars.

In the film, we realize we are viewing the happy tussle through Aguirre's eyes and are left with an implication that they were being watched.  This relates nicely to how they 'felt themselves' invisible.

However, in the ss, Annie tells us that Aguirre watched/waited for ten minutes, I believe, until they had zipped up before making his presence known and delivering the news about Uncle Harold.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Katie77

« Reply #277 on: October 13, 2008, 02:07:28 am »
A difference I noticed upon yesterday's reading concerned a difference between the SS and the film about how much Aguirre actually observed through his binoculars.

In the film, we realize we are viewing the happy tussle through Aguirre's eyes and are left with an implication that they were being watched.  This relates nicely to how they 'felt themselves' invisible.

However, in the ss, Annie tells us that Aguirre watched/waited for ten minutes, I believe, until they had zipped up before making his presence known and delivering the news about Uncle Harold.

Thats very ineresting Lynne.

There is a thread I was in yesterday, started by Amanda, that questions whether Aguire actually spied on the boys at other times as well.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #278 on: November 25, 2011, 09:13:23 pm »
double bump!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #279 on: November 25, 2011, 09:47:57 pm »

Another thought is the idea of interpreting Jack spending time 'under the c*nt truck' as metaphorical...can it also be related to spending time creating a family with Lureen and all the baggage that comes his way as being LD's son-in-law and working for him in the farm equipment business?  I realize that Jack is directly talking about his hard year rodeoing, but I see the possibility of extending this metaphor to include his marriage to Lureen and his relationship with LD.

FWIW.
--------------------------------------------------

I agree with this point that Lynne made.  I also thought that it implied his
relationship with Ennis.  He was the bottom primarily I think.  He was under Ennis's spell, as well as truly under him.. physically.

Beautiful mind