Author Topic: Yin and Yang: Ennis and Jack  (Read 84562 times)

moremojo

Re: Yin and Yang: Ennis and Jack
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2006, 05:40:18 pm »
What an interesting observation, Lee! I shall definitely look for those details next time I revisit the film.

I admire this scene a lot, too, and, though I note the seriousness of the men's demeanor, do not feel the scene to be the sad, forlorn one that so many see it as. The overriding emotional quality I sense here is mutual respect--these two feel consummately at ease with each other, and have a deep, abiding admiration and understanding of the one beside them.

In the story-to-screenplay publication, incidentally, the two are described in this scene as riding like Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea in the film Ride the High Country (an early and highly regarded Sam Peckinpah Western which I have not seen).

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2006, 05:50:27 pm »
This isn't a film observation, so maybe I should find another thread for it, but... it somehow seems fitting anyhow.

When going back to my hotel from the last meet-up on the EURO Brokie meeting in London back in mid-September, I happened to notice the yin/yang symbol clearly visible in a small shop's window just as that shop was closing for the day.

It turned out to be no less than a black and white enamel belt buckle, the buckle consisting solely of the yin/yang symbol.

Of course I had to buy it! I feel that the symbol, especially as a belt buckle, is a perfect homage to and reminder of both Jack and Ennis and the group of lovely Brokies I'd just got to know in person. :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2006, 08:34:03 pm »
My latest yin/yang sighting:

I have a new favorite scene, and it may surprise you... Recall the scene late in the movie where Ennis and Jack are walking their horses down the middle of a stream? I always thought that they had kind of glum looks on their faces because of dissatisfaction with the relationship...but as I look at it again, I'm thinking they are at peace and in harmony with each other. The reason for this change in thinking...I got to looking at the horses. Ennis is riding a beautiful black horse with a lovely diamond-shaped white star on its...forehead? (Is that what it's called). And Jack is riding an equally beautiful light-colored horse (a bay mare?) with a black shock of mane between its ears. The yin/yang sign was there all along, and I didn't even see it!! I started to see that scene differently...they are in equilibrium. Makes me think they did find some sort of peace and happiness together at last.

I like that idea very much, Lee.  Here's a pic from stripedwall.com:

Mikaela, that belt buckle sounds really cool.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2006, 08:44:26 pm »
Great photo, Meryl! Thank you!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2006, 09:08:04 pm »
You're welcome, Lee  :)

Since I was over at the screencap site, I was looking for cloud formations for your other thread (neat topic) and realized that the two mountains in this shot look very yinyang-like:

This is just before the shot of a very distant Jack moving almost imperceptibly up the mountainside on his horse.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 09:09:47 pm by meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2006, 10:55:11 pm »
Hey there Lee!

I'm glad to see you posted the horse observation here!  It's a great yin and yang detail!
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2006, 05:39:25 pm »
My latest yin/yang sighting:

I have a new favorite scene, and it may surprise you... Recall the scene late in the movie where Ennis and Jack are walking their horses down the middle of a stream? I always thought that they had kind of glum looks on their faces because of dissatisfaction with the relationship...but as I look at it again, I'm thinking they are at peace and in harmony with each other. The reason for this change in thinking...I got to looking at the horses. Ennis is riding a beautiful black horse with a lovely diamond-shaped white star on its...forehead? (Is that what it's called). And Jack is riding an equally beautiful light-colored horse (a bay mare?) with a black shock of mane between its ears. The yin/yang sign was there all along, and I didn't even see it!! I started to see that scene differently...they are in equilibrium. Makes me think they did find some sort of peace and happiness together at last.

OMG thats brilliant! I am in so much awe of brokies for making me reassess everything I see in the film (and obviously giving me yet another excuse to watch it again and again...). Mu husband has abandoned me this weekend to go climbing (hmm..frequent trips up mountains with a tent...maybe I should start attaching notes onto his climbing harness!) and so I shall utilise my time goodly with extra film watching. Yeay!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2006, 11:30:40 am »
Great, rutella! Nice to see you back here! Loved the shot of Yin/Yang mountain too. I see the lighter mountain on the left and the dark one on the right, same as the horse configuration. I love the shot that comes right after this one, because it is such a good portrayal of Annie Proulx's line, "During the day Ennis looked across a great gulf and sometimes saw Jack, a small dot moving across a high meadow, as an insect moves across a tablecloth...."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2006, 04:09:15 pm »
I may have gone off the deep end, but I see a yin/yang symbol in this photo:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 01:23:04 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter