Author Topic: The Basque is interviewed on FindingBrokeback  (Read 6015 times)

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
The Basque is interviewed on FindingBrokeback
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:48:46 am »
I don't know how many of you regularly go to FindingBrokeback.com to see what's new (check the Announcements) but there is a new interview with David Trimble, the Basque.

I really love that character, maybe because whenever he's on screen Ennis is there, too. My favorite line from the movie has always been, "We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em" and the Basque is in the scenes that lead up to that, from "Don't let 'em stray. Joe will have your ass if you do" in the shots at Buffalo Paddock, to "Too early in the summer to be sick of beans" at the Basque Bridge.

David worked with both Heath and Jake, although the scenes with Jake were cut for some reason.

Also, there is a new album with pictures of the climb of Jack Ascending last July. Click on Albums in the menu on the left side of the page.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Basque is interviewed on FindingBrokeback
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 12:41:37 pm »
Thanks for posting the info here. We appreciate it.

I've already seen the great photos of the climb of Jack Ascending and will definitively check out the interview  :D.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 12:47:45 pm »
That's great!  The Basque really is an awesome character.
8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 01:08:24 pm »
Lauren, how wonderful!  I love the photo of you with David and his wife.

Is it OK to quote a little bit here?  If not, I'll remove it:

Lauren:  What was your reaction to the film overall?

David:  It’s amazing. It was a great film.

We went with a group of about twenty people when we went to the theater to see it the first time—paid to get in—and I was sitting next to my oldest friend, Shane Miller. We tree-planted together and we were super close; as super close as two guys can be without being gay. And it was our story. We both said “Yeah, that’s us.” We get it. We understand that connection.

When you’re working in the middle of the woods tree-planting it gets really primal, it’s all stripped away and then here you are. So we actually understood the primacy, the primal connection that these people felt for each other, and Shane and I love each other and that’s the way it is, right? The movie meant a lot to me.

It was a love story, plain and simple, and a tragic one at that, but the story is so simple. And to me that’s the best part of it.

It’s amazing what we can convey just through simplicity. We don’t need complex themes, or complex plot lines, or this and that. It’s a simple love story. Star-crossed lovers who for whatever reasons aren’t allowed to…It’s Romeo and Juliet, you know, but simpler. The Montagues and the Capulets.

I have a lot of friends of mine, homophobic friends of mine, who won’t go to see the movie because they know it’s a “gay cowboy movie.” They’re missing out on so much, living their lives in that fear, that fear that I don’t understand but I feel bad for them.

http://www.findingbrokeback.com/Interviews/_Interview_Frame.html

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 01:42:31 pm »
How could anybody object to that quote? How awesome!!  :-*
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 02:16:53 pm »
I've just read the interview! It's awesome Lauren, thanks again for doing all you findingbrokeback folks do and for sharing  :-*

Quote from Findingbrokeback:

"Rare is the Brokeback Mountain fan who doesn’t have a special fondness for the endearing character of the Basque, portrayed in the film by Calgary actor David Trimble."

So true :D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 04:37:55 pm »
More please...

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 04:51:23 pm »
We went with a group of about twenty people when we went to the theater to see it the first time—paid to get in—and I was sitting next to my oldest friend, Shane Miller. We tree-planted together and we were super close; as super close as two guys can be without being gay. And it was our story. We both said “Yeah, that’s us.” We get it. We understand that connection.

Ohhhhh.......I used to hear people say "when will the tears stop?"

This is my reminder today, they don't.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 05:11:41 pm »
More secrets by him or others about the film?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 02:35:21 am »
Lauren, that was so great!  As I told you, I could SEE you were a Finding Brokebacker when I saw you standing with them guys.

Poor Rodrigo, wanting to speak his native language with someone, shit that's hard.

(And Jake was in Las Vegas with Kirsten Dunst 8 months ago??  Hmm...)