Author Topic: TOTW 15/08: Confetti Quiz  (Read 35719 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 15/08: Confetti Quiz
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »
Brooklyn is correct.  However, I thought I read somewhere that Brooklyn Proulx was no relation to Annie.  Do you have the real skinny?

A:  Just a guess, based on my own sorority experience:  Tri Delt (Delta Delta Delta) most likely had the "party girls" and Kappa Phi the more well-to-do girls who liked to lay claim to a bit more sophistication.  Depending on your priorities, both were good houses to be a member of.  Lureen most likely had the edge in the competition, though.  It's very likely not an accident that those two sororities were chosen by our detail-conscious screenwriters and director.

Q:  Who supplied Alma's wedding dress?

A:  Alma's dress was homemade.

B:  Who supplied Ennis's wedding suit?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2008, 02:30:37 pm »
Brooklyn is correct.  However, I thought I read somewhere that Brooklyn Proulx was no relation to Annie.  Do you have the real skinny?

A:  Just a guess, based on my own sorority experience:  Tri Delt (Delta Delta Delta) most likely had the "party girls" and Kappa Phi the more well-to-do girls who liked to lay claim to a bit more sophistication.  Depending on your priorities, both were good houses to be a member of.  Lureen most likely had the edge in the competition, though.  It's very likely not an accident that those two sororities were chosen by our detail-conscious screenwriters and director.

J.C Penney supplied the dress.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2008, 03:08:24 pm »
Yes, according to the screenplay, Alma's dress was from J. C. Penney.  I've never seen a source for Ennis's suit.  Will be interested to know the answer to that one.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2008, 03:37:14 pm »
Yes, according to the screenplay, Alma's dress was from J. C. Penney.  I've never seen a source for Ennis's suit.  Will be interested to know the answer to that one.  :)

Oops!!  I hadn't remembered that the dress was actually referenced somewhere.  I thought that was a "creative answer" type of question.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2008, 04:01:58 pm »
The suit was a hand-me-down from K.E., who wore it at his wedding. Remember in the wedding scene the best man guy standing next to Ennis- that's him-no suit.  :-X
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline optom3

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2008, 05:26:46 pm »

No idea about the suit,it just says Ennis is wearing a new jacket and a bolo tie What the heck is a bolo tie, or is that a misprint in my screenplay.??????

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2008, 06:21:25 pm »
No idea about the suit,it just says Ennis is wearing a new jacket and a bolo tie What the heck is a bolo tie, or is that a misprint in my screenplay.??????

Here's what a bolo tie looks like.  They must have changed their minds about the bolo tie for the wedding, because he's wearing a normal necktie in the screencaps.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline optom3

« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2008, 07:34:11 pm »
Here's what a bolo tie looks like.  They must have changed their minds about the bolo tie for the wedding, because he's wearing a normal necktie in the screencaps.

Thankyou so much for that,I had no idea at all.I go to bed a wiser woman now.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2008, 11:28:14 pm »

I read somewhere that Brooklyn is AP's granddaughter, maybe in "Getting Movied"? or one of AP's interviews.

you are exactly correct, Tri Delts were the party girls in the sorority scene in Texas universities n the 1970's and 1980's, maybe they still are! Kappa Phi's were more straight laced, not necessarily better off financially, just prim and proper. You are correct, McMurtry understands the Greek scene at UT and SMU very well, and threw those comments in the dialog to suggest a tension between Lureen and Lashawn.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2008, 08:57:51 am »
A complete OT aside, but there was a recurring skit on Saturday Night Live that took place in a sorority.

When the phone rang, the Tri Delt member answered, "Delta Delta Delta, can I helpya helpya helpya?"