Author Topic: Wine preference?  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Wine preference?
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:43:29 pm »

I'm a big wine lover and am curious to know folks' preferences.  I actually tend to prefer white wine over red.  And, it might be fun to exchange recommendations for good wine here too.

I realize I left off a huge list of French regional wines from this poll (but, hey, there's really only so much room here).  It would be interesting to hear how people feel about different regional wines too.  I love Australian wine and French wine.  I'm not usually such a fan of Italian wines, etc.  It's a pretty interesting topic actually.

So, can't wait to hear what all you aficionados out there have to say!
8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Wine preference?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:42:56 pm »
Great idea for a thread, Amanda. I LOVE red wine, specifically Merlot, and usually have a couple of glasses most nights, with my dinner. It makes even the most mundane of  mid-week meals just that little bit special.

I'm not keen on white wine and can't abide bubbles in my wine haha!  ;)  :)

My preferences come and go. At the moment, I have two fine Australian Merlots in the pantry and can recommend them to anyone wanting to try a good Aussie Red.  :D

They are Wolf Blass Merlot
http://www.webwombat.com.au/lifestyle/food_wine/winerev-wolf-blass-merlot-04.htm

And Lindeman's Bin 40 Merlot
http://www.lindemans.com/our_wines/europe/bin40_merlot.asp

Enjoy!   8)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 07:47:55 am »
Another great thread, Amanda!

Thanks for the recommendations, Kerry!  Merlot is my husband's favorite, too, and consequently I've come to like it, although I probably prefer white wine as a rule.

I  don't think I know enough about wines to be an aficionado, but I agree that a glass of wine can add a bit of "special" to a meal - and it can be great to sip while curled up with a good book.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:01:28 am »
I especially like Albariño, a white wine made in Galicia (northwestern Spain)
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:44:07 am »

I think Spanish wine in general is great!  It's usually very consistently good... much like Australian wine.  There must be something about the climate, etc. in those two regions that makes for great wine.

I love French wine, but I think it's far less consistent and harder to figure out since there are so many French-regional varieties.  It looks like Pinot Noir is a popular one here so far... and, for folks who like Pinot Noir, I'd recommend Côtes du Rhône too.  Like Pinot Noir, it's a very light red wine that can be paired with lots of different types of food... even food that would normally be white wine food.

Offline optom3

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:14:01 pm »
2 stunning reds are chateau neuf and chateau margeaux.They are only for special occasions though as they are a bit pricey.I used to love really full bodied reds,but about 10 years ago they started to give me migraines so I swapped to white.A really lovely sparkling white is the Italian Prosecco.It is mixed with white peach puree to make Belliinis,really yummy.
I don't think you can go wrong with a Chablis.I have recently become fan of Australian and even some Californian wines having been a strictly,french/italian wine girl.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:24:15 pm »

I love prosecco, I might even like it better than champagne.  Prosecco usually seems lighter and a bit more refreshing.

Offline ZK

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 04:36:56 am »
I do not have a refined palate by any stretch of the imagination and up until recently stuck predominantely to white, with my preference being a Sav B. However I am really now enjoying a Shiraz too. I normally buy a NZ produced wine from Villa Maria. Australian wines are great too.

Says he with a nice red sitting on the desk beside him....hey its the evening in the Southern Hemisphere.