Author Topic: Did Ennis Flirt?  (Read 14356 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Did Ennis Flirt?
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 04:46:31 pm »

The question about whether or not Ennis flirted (even subconsciously on his part) is of particular interest I think because it dovetails with a question many folks have about how Jack calculated the risk involved in making the move he did at the beginning of the TS1 encounter.  I mean the clues he must have been picking up leading up to TS1 must have somehow indicated to him that there was a good chance Ennis would respond to Jack's "first move" in a positive way.

I think many aspects of this question have probably been hashed out before, but I still think it's interesting to ponder what exactly led Jack to be so brave in that particular move.

You may be a sinner but I aint yet had the opportunity,always strikes me as pretty well a direct come on.I don't even think it is subtle.If I think of myself saying that to someone, I know I would be inferring I am here and available.I might not make the move myself, but I am open to you.More subtle is the fact that Jack manages to make Ennis talk and smile,he must find that encouraging too.
When people fall in love as well as lust,they generally connect on several levels,shared humour, ideas and of course the physical attraction.No one it would appear has brought out the Lighter hearted side of Ennis,in the way that Jack does.That has to be a an indication to Jack that at least on one level the 2 have made a significant connection.
Lust is the easy bit, but to truly draw a person out of themselves is to create a very real bond.Ennis in the SS feels he could" paw the white out of the moon".He is so happy that he is almost high.I wouldn't mind betting, that is the first time Ennis has ever felt such pure unadulterated joy. I love that phrase and I absolutely love Jack for making Ennis feel that way.
Would that we could all have someone who could take us to such heights. I think in real life ,that Matilda made Heath feel like that,so thank goodness he experienced the unbelievable high that undiluted pure love brings,

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 04:48:59 pm »
Unconscious ?

At least, some of Ennis flirtations are conscious !!

Au revoir,
hugs! 

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 01:35:50 pm »
Yeah. Ennis flirted. But it was kept a little bit underwraps.
Oh, if y'all don't mind me adding, the scene where Ennis is bathing nude in the background and Jack was trying hard not to look while cutting potatoes, I heard someone saying that Ennis in a way was sort of inticing Jack. You know, he would've gone down the creek and bathed but no. He was really comfortable aroud his co-worker/friend/soon-to-be beau. Usually he was so shy and introverted that he shoted away from people he wasn't really comfortable with. But, Jack, he felt free and he was attracted to him for sure. 
Hey, it's good that he actually fet comfortable for once in his life, though.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
Gabreya, I love what you say here:

the scene where Ennis is bathing nude in the background and Jack was trying hard not to look while cutting potatoes, I heard someone saying that Ennis in a way was sort of inticing Jack.                 

And I agree with you and that saying !!

Do you think that Ennis flirted right away when he first saw Jack ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 01:43:18 pm »
Yeah. Ennis flirted. But it was kept a little bit underwraps.
Oh, if y'all don't mind me adding, the scene where Ennis is bathing nude in the background and Jack was trying hard not to look while cutting potatoes, I heard someone saying that Ennis in a way was sort of inticing Jack. You know, he would've gone down the creek and bathed but no. He was really comfortable aroud his co-worker/friend/soon-to-be beau. Usually he was so shy and introverted that he shoted away from people he wasn't really comfortable with. But, Jack, he felt free and he was attracted to him for sure. 
Hey, it's good that he actually fet comfortable for once in his life, though.

That's a really interesting point Gabreya. :)  Ennis's comfort and decision to remain physically close to Jack certainly do indicate how at ease he feels with Jack by that stage.

And, it is worth wondering if, in the way back of his mind... whether he did realize he was being inticing to Jack.  I doubt it would be something he was completely conscious of at that stage.

One practical reason why he may have remained close to camp is that he may have wanted the access to the hot water warmed up by the fire.

But, in any case, your point is certainly a good one.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 01:53:10 pm »
It remains that that scene had camera shots, we can all be proud about that camera man/lady !

And it could mean much more than we think yet ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 02:48:26 pm »
Yeah, I completely agree that Ennis felt comfortable around Jack - I'd even venture a guess that he'd never felt more comfortable with anyone.  But since I don't think Ennis was at all consciously aware of his sexual feelings at that point, I think he saw the nudity as quite innocent and matter-of-fact, kind of like men in a locker room. 

Of course, in the film, we get that wonderfully subtle acting by Jake that indicates that Jack is not quite as "matter-of-fact" about it!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 09:49:22 pm »
Yes Marie, I think you hit the nail on the head there......it was Jack who was flirting, and he was looking for any sign at all that maybe Ennis was catching on to that fact, and maybe even flirting back, even just a little bit.

I think Ennis felt comfortable with Jack right from the start, and that comfort grew more and more every day. And, not only did he feel it, he also felt how comfortable Jack was with him. And I dont think Ennis had felt like that before, with anyone, especially a stranger who he had just met.

They seem to have a similar sense of humour, and they could laugh and talk with one another, and I think Ennis was probably thinking..."This is good, I like being with this guy".....he felt good and relaxed.

I think he was probably flirting humourously, rather than flirting sexually, and maybe somewhere he and Jack realized that it had unconciously moved from being humourous to sexual, and in there own secret way, were enjoying that fact.

I think in TS1, when Jack groped Ennis, originally it was just something he did in his sleep, but once Ennis woke up, and they looked at one another, it was like, "OK, we've been playing around with each other verbally, come on, lets do the real thing".......

The rest is history................
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 12:38:13 am »
Exactly. At first, it wasn't sexual or anything like that. It was just friendly but you know with time going by with them spending some time together, the physical attraction kicked in.

Oh, and thanks, atz and Artiste, and everyone else. ;D

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 11:10:58 am »
This is a great topic.  :)

The thing that came to my mind about Ennis flirting, was his line 'Hell, that's more words than I spoke in a year.'

He was engaged when he met Jack and Jack already knew that at this point. So Ennis was telling Jack 'I like talking to you so much. I've spoken more to you than I've done with other people, including Alma.' And the way he feels comfortable enough to share this with Jack, barring his soul like that. Painful as that revelation might have been (Ennis basically tells Jack about loneliness and not fitting in), it tells Jack a lot, I think.

And the way Ennis looks at Jack after he tells him this, he must have known what message he was sending.

God, I love both of them in that precious scene! *sigh*
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'