Author Topic: I Love my BbM obsession  (Read 9431 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
I Love my BbM obsession
« on: May 27, 2006, 07:56:04 pm »
While many, well most, people that know of my "addiction" think I'm silly or crazy, I embrace my obession. I love my addiction because:

I've met all you wonderful people
The movie gave me comfort and diversion during a tough time
I fell in love with Ennis and Jack and love is a great thing
I have a new appreciation of cinema (and Fanfic)
I am a "fanatic" for the first time in my life-go Heathens, go Heathens
I am engaged to be married to Jake G.-he doesn't know yet but when he finds out I think he'll be happy about it...

O0

Heathen

Offline YaadPyar

Re: I Love my BbM obsession
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 11:40:23 pm »
While many, well most, people that know of my "addiction" think I'm silly or crazy, I embrace my obession. I love my addiction because:

I've met all you wonderful people

RouxB - I completely agree with you.  The friends - the real human connections that have been made, are extraordinary.  BBM set something in motion for us, and now we are playing it out in our own lives with each other.  The honesty with which you have shared the story of your journey inspires so much!  And to see that we are moving forward together, buoyed by the companionship of other souls of the same journey, makes me certain that this isn't just an abberant obsession, but each of us responding to an undeniable need for change. 

:-*
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 12:23:29 am »
You two are spot on.  I saw this film because I was rediscovering life and I rediscovered life because of this film.  My change had begun prior to february 2006, but it took an amazingly unpredicted turn in a smallish cinema megaplex in a town called Indooroopilly.  Some consider themselves Heathens, others go by Jakeophiles, I am true blue, through and through a CT Devotee.

It's largely because of you people I'm like this;  Everything! Everywhere!  I have connected with people all over the world which only intensifies my lust to explore.  Today I am a person who can say 'thankyou', 'sorry', 'I was wrong', 'I was right', 'I love you', 'I want', 'I need', and 'I'm willing'.  It has been a long time since I have been able to promise 'I am', 'I can', 'I will'! 

I can pour my heart out and speak my mind.  I am realising that I can be liked without feeling threatened.  I can be disliked without feeling failure. 

My relationships and my confidence have begun to repair.  I love my BBM obsession, but more over, I love my new friends.  They are teaching me to be more real than most people I have sat down for a meal with. 
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 02:04:07 am »
((((Ray))))  That's such a beautiful post.  I'm so glad you got the Fever and found Chez Tremblay!  :-*

Where's that group hug smiley when you need it?

((((((((Tremblayans and Brokies everywhere))))))))
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 09:14:15 am »
I love my BbM obsession in that it fuels my passion in all other areas of my life.  (Maybe this is why my husband doesn't mind it so much.  ;))

And I'm gonna break rules and give a second reason in the same post.  I love my BbM obsession because it's brought me here.  And after the home I share with my immediate family and my home on the lake when I was a teenager, I've never felt so much at home in any other place in my life.  I've certainly never felt so much at home in any other online venue, save for Chez Tremblay, of course, but I see this as an extension of that.  I've posted at many online forums and still post at a couple others.  But more and more I feel less and less accepted at those because truth is, I never really was.  I was sort of put up with - barely tolerated.  Criticized for being too passionate for my own good after GWB won/stole the last election and after Hurricane Katrina exposed just how apathetic his administration is about anyone that doesn't further their agenda and most recently after Black Sunday, aka March 5, 2006.

Not once has anyone here said, Barb, you've got to lighten up.  (At least not seriously, anyway.  ;))  I feel like I am truly among my people here - my family.  I can't begin to tell you all how good I feel about that.
No more beans!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 11:58:50 am »
I love that Barb hasn't lightened up. Actually, a little MORE passion might be nice.  ;)

BTW, what's Black Sunday (March 5th)? Some things just don't matter anymore.

PS: Today, I've been a BetterMost member for exactly 100 days! (198 posts averaging 1.980 posts per day!)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 02:37:28 pm by Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 01:51:02 pm »
((((Ray))))  That's such a beautiful post.  I'm so glad you got the Fever and found Chez Tremblay!  :-*

Where's that group hug smiley when you need it?

((((((((Tremblayans and Brokies everywhere))))))))

(cowboy hats courtesy of wonderful Ray)
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 02:04:06 pm »
Thanks, Celeste (and Ray)!  I've now saved the hug for future use.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 02:31:48 pm »
I love that Barb hasn't lightened up. Actually, a little MORE passion might be nice.  ;)

BTW, what's Black Sunday (March 5th)? Some things just don't matter anymore.

Ah, so true.  It really doesn't matter to me anymore, either, but it mattered a whole helluva lot at the time.  However, don't let that make you think I've forgiven them.  Never.  And never again.

And other than my husband, you're the only one to ever say that first bit. 
No more beans!

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 09:52:34 pm »
I love my obsession because:

at the same time as it's brought me closer to the really important people in my life, it's given me some much needed insight into others.  would that my hubby were as cogniscent of the direct connnections as Barb's!

it's a secret joy that I carry with me everywhere.  it gilds my days  :).  rider added to the effect it may not be especially secret for much longer, given I'm now the proud owner of a nicely hip bag with "I wish I knew how to quit you" printed on it. already this morning I had a gay fellow at my local deli stare very hard at it, then at me, then back at the bag  ;D.

I've been able to spend many lovely hours online with folk who are almost disconcertingly 'familiar'.

it's given me an excuse to dust off my stetson and boots - they'd been buried since the horses were adgisted out 2 yrs ago.

I could go on and on.

w