Author Topic: The Dark Knight: News, Reviews, your Views. "SPOILERS" welcome!  (Read 175175 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Dark Knight: News, Reviews, your Views. "SPOILERS" welcome!
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2008, 05:07:54 pm »

But the Joker doesn't die in your version does he?

Right, it's left very open-ended as to what happens to the Joker.  The last we see of him he's dangling off the side of a building with a SWAT team closing in on him.  But, we don't see him die and we don't even see him actually being arrested at the end.  So, anything is still possible with him... especially since throughout the film we've seen him escape from very improbable situations.

That's my general question about Batman villains... I think they all are capable of returning repeatedly somehow.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2008, 10:03:35 pm »
Right, it's left very open-ended as to what happens to the Joker.  The last we see of him he's dangling off the side of a building with a SWAT team closing in on him.  But, we don't see him die and we don't even see him actually being arrested at the end.  So, anything is still possible with him... especially since throughout the film we've seen him escape from very improbable situations.

That's my general question about Batman villains... I think they all are capable of returning repeatedly somehow.

I hope with all my heart that they do not bring the joker back.He is for me now,definitively and irrevocably linked to Heath. They need to ressurect one of the other villains.In fact I have found the whole TDK so hard, that I almost hope the Imaginarium does not get released.Wounds which may be starting to heal by 2009 ,will just reopen.Even the thought of the Oscars, fills me with dread.
The worst thing about TDK was all the premiers with a great big gap, where Heath should have been,looking embarrassed by all the praise, self deprecating as always, and just one big fidgit.Who would have thought one man could leave such a gaping chasm.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2008, 03:06:27 am »
Oh yes, THAT scene, sorry, I should probably READ things thoroughly before replying. I should know better.

*scurries back into her corner*

But the Joker doesn't die in your version does he?

Your version. LOL. We have a Dutch version in which you can see him smoke pot.

But Mel, has it already been released there?  Where did you see it?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #143 on: July 26, 2008, 03:07:56 am »
I hope with all my heart that they do not bring the joker back.He is for me now,definitively and irrevocably linked to Heath. They need to ressurect one of the other villains.In fact I have found the whole TDK so hard, that I almost hope the Imaginarium does not get released.Wounds which may be starting to heal by 2009 ,will just reopen.Even the thought of the Oscars, fills me with dread.
The worst thing about TDK was all the premiers with a great big gap, where Heath should have been,looking embarrassed by all the praise, self deprecating as always, and just one big fidgit.Who would have thought one man could leave such a gaping chasm.

I actually can't remember Heath looking embarrassed by praise, or of him being self-deprecating.  Can you remind me of examples?

mvansand76

« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2008, 03:23:27 am »

But Mel, has it already been released there?  Where did you see it?

Yep, I saw it at the IMAX in Amsterdam....

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2008, 03:47:20 am »
Yep, I saw it at the IMAX in Amsterdam....

Hunh.  I wonder why some movies take so long to come to Europe and this one was so quick.

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2008, 03:50:35 am »
TDK was released here in Italy this week, has made lots of money already. This morning heard an excellent review, of the Joker in  particular, on the radio.

Will be seeing it at the IMAX in London next week.
BbM, I swear

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2008, 09:06:57 am »

I actually can't remember Heath looking embarrassed by praise, or of him being self-deprecating.  Can you remind me of examples?

The one that sticks in my mind most was when he was told by an interviewer that it was a brave choice to take on the role of a gay cowboy, and Heath said, and I am paraphrasing here, acting is not brave , its not like I'm  in any danger, eg firefighters etc. I will try and hunt down the orginal instead of my verson of it.
I also always thought, but could well be wrong that some of his more shy laughter as opposed to the easy laugh he also had, was down to embarassment re the praise heaped on him for BBM.
He  said in another interview, that he never felt completely happy with a role, he always looked at it and felt he could redo parts better. Maybe hyper critical of himself may have been a better choice than self deprecating ???
Either way I sure missed seing him at the promtotions and usual round of interviews.
For someone with such an enormous talent, when the cameras were on him for a role, he never, to me, seemed at ease when the cameras were on him ,just for him.
I can think of several less talented actors who will wax lyrical and are entirely comfortable with being themselves in interview..

Maybe talent is inveresly proportional to beiing at ease with interviews etc. I remember Laurence Olivier came across terribly in many interviews, almost on the verge of being rude.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2008, 01:22:13 pm »

Our reactions all seem to be so varied and personal, and IMO all valid and deserving of respect. My own reaction, in watching Heath's performance, was just the opposite. It was so full of energy, such flawless timing and so perfectly matched the script's treatment of the Joker -- and, IMO, Heath seemed to be having such a great time doing it, stressful as it might have been -- that I kept thinking 'oh Heath... bravo!'

IMO, if they make another Batman flick they'll need to write the Joker out: that performance would be an impossible act to follow.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2008, 01:25:17 pm »
I'm not sure if this belongs in the "spoiler" thread or if it should be included in the "no spoilers" thread too but am playing it safe here:

There's an interesting open thread at Bilerico titled Does Heath Ledger deserve an Oscar?  Here's the introduction:

So it's a little bit early for Oscar nominations, but there is already a lot of buzz floating around that Heath Ledger should get a nomination for his performance in "Batman: Dark Knight." 

I haven't seen the movie, nor do I plan to see the movie. But I think it's an interesting question, especially since so many of you love Batman (as proved by the response to Tyrion's “When Batman Was Gay” post). . . . We all know he became a gay favorite after his Oscar nominated role in Brokeback Mountain, but was this latest performance up to the standard?

The poster made a few tactless though probably well-intentioned remarks, but the reactions will still be interesting -- and the post includes both a trailer from the film and Heath's interview about his role.