Author Topic: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?  (Read 77713 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2008, 12:39:45 am »
Her coach though, he was a shit to her.  Talk about negative reinforcement.

I bet he didn't realize the cameras were on him.

Poor Nastia, poor Alicia.  Both got screwed by more favoritism shown the Chinese.

I don't understand why they can't protest a judge's scoring.  When they obviously miss things - they have film right there - or are showing blatant favoritism, they never get called on it.

What a ripoff.

Why can't they just give out two golds and a bronze?  Why have a tie-breaker rule anyway?  Other Olympic sports allow ties.

Nastia handled the situation extremely well, in my opinion.  She was so poised accepting the silver.  I know I would have been fuming.

It seems that gymnastics judging needs to be revamped yet again.   Maybe instead of not allowing judges from countries that have gymnasts competing in the event (the way it is now), they should include a judge from each country represented in the particular competition and just throw out the highest and the lowest scores.

Maybe the viewing of slow-motion replays should be a mandatory part of judging (if it isn't already).  A second, more critical look before a score was given surely couldn't hurt.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2008, 12:55:24 am »
Oh my god, I can't stop looking at those food pictures Sue posted up there. I'm absolutely repulsed by them, but at the same time strangely fascinated. Currently I'm trying to figure out what is in that metal pan in front of the person on the left in the Dog Brain soup picture. What is that? Some kind of meat, but is it the dog brains? Or something else? And those lizard legs are quite disgusting and interesting too. It looks as if they have been deep fried and somebody poured mayonnaise on top of them. Hmmm. Is it the whole lizard on each stick, or is it many different legs? Strange looking, isn't it?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2008, 12:56:27 am »
And those seahorses look as if they've been burned to a crisp. :P

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2008, 01:00:54 am »
I'd play it safe and stick with white rice. No buffet for me.   :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2008, 02:12:03 am »
I'd play it safe and stick with white rice. No buffet for me.   :)

I hear ya Fran!

In one of those countries they eat fish while they are still alive. I read an article about it once. They'll actually cut into the fish while the gills are still moving and the fish is flipping around. Animal abuse in my opinion. Terrible.

I try to have total respect for other cultures, but there is just something totally wrong about eating fish while they are still alive. I suppose there must be a reason they do it, but I'll never understand it. And not only is it animal abuse, but it's as disgusting as hell!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2008, 02:51:44 am »

Now that Ive made you all sick, heres a few more......looks like no animail is safe over there........what happened to just plain ol fried rice......

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2008, 03:14:01 am »
Eww, that snake looks like it hasn't been fully cooked. Notice the pink coloring.

Believe it or not, I've tasted snake before. Rattle snake. I had a taste of it in Arizona. Now don't roll your eyes.... PROMISE you won't roll your eyes!...... but it tasted like chicken! Well, a gamey version of chicken. Hard to describe, but it wasn't too bad at all. :)

But the picture of that snake up there looks like it hasn't been fully cooked. It's still pink!

The snake I tried was deep fried in batter.

The dog livers and goat lungs look downright AWFUL!! So do the silk worms. Yuck! :P

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2008, 05:08:10 am »

Believe it or not, I've tasted snake before. Rattle snake. I had a taste of it in Arizona. Now don't roll your eyes.... PROMISE you won't roll your eyes!...... but it tasted like chicken! Well, a gamey version of chicken. Hard to describe, but it wasn't too bad at all. :)

I know this is completely off topic, but when you said "it tasted like chicken"....I had to send this cartoon I got recently....

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2008, 10:54:59 am »
Why can't they just give out two golds and a bronze?  Why have a tie-breaker rule anyway?  Other Olympic sports allow ties.

Nastia handled the situation extremely well, in my opinion.  She was so poised accepting the silver.  I know I would have been fuming.

It seems that gymnastics judging needs to be revamped yet again.   Maybe instead of not allowing judges from countries that have gymnasts competing in the event (the way it is now), they should include a judge from each country represented in the particular competition and just throw out the highest and the lowest scores.

Maybe the viewing of slow-motion replays should be a mandatory part of judging (if it isn't already).  A second, more critical look before a score was given surely couldn't hurt.

Nadia Comaneci and Bart Connor were on the Today show this morning discussing just some of these points.

Re: the controversy over the ages of the Chinese "women" gymnasts, I hadn't really thought about it, but at some point that age for competition was raised. Nadia mentioned that she was only 14 years old when she competed.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2008, 06:59:08 pm »
ok here is my pet peeve and the reason I dont' watch the Olympics much.

It is tape delayed, not live, so why do they not have the events organized so you can sit and watch the entire finals and see who wins? For example, I was watching last night and they were showing the womens pole vault....they spent ten minutes on the event, leading up to the finals, they showed the bronze winner and that left two to go...and they switched over and showed some guys running hurdles!!! ARGH! I was so mad...why not just SHOW THE LAST TWO POLE VAULTS!!?? THEN go to the hurdles...

that is the main reason I don't watch more....the total disorganized and illogical coverage..