Author Topic: TOTW 20/08: Ennis rejecting people close to him  (Read 14980 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 20/08: Ennis rejecting people close to him
« on: July 28, 2008, 12:01:40 pm »
Hey BetterMostians :),

another week coming around and here is another TOTW.

But first, a big thank you to everybody who participated in the TOTW questionnaire over the last two weeks!
 :-*
Your FB and ideas are very helpful.

This week I'd like to have a closer look at the fact that Ennis keeps rejecting people close to him, people who love him and care about him.

Foremost, there's Jack who repeatedly proposes to Ennis, only to be rebuffed every time: „You gonna do this again next summer?“, prayer of thanks scene, post divorce scene, etc.

Ennis also rejects Alma: refusing to look for a better payed job, no vacations for her and the girls (story only), staying in the apartment (story only), no going out to the church social or the Knife&Fork with her and Jack, etc.

Ennis declines Junior's wish to live with him

He dumps Cassie without even telling her.

Pretty much a pattern here.

What other examples come to your mind? Why do you think Ennis keeps rejecting people?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: TOTW 20/08: Ennis rejecting people close to him
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:13:25 pm »

This is a wonderful topic (again, as usual) Chrissi!  I'll ponder this some more and surely come back and post again.

My initial response is that yes, this is absolutely a pattern with Ennis, and that it probably is a manifestation of really deeply rooted low self-esteem.  His trauma from a young age and his sense of abandonment (first by his parents who die and then by his siblings who essentially cast him out - "no more room for me."), may have led to a sense that he's not worthy of close or intimate connections.  And, maybe as a defense mechanism against rejection, Ennis makes sure to do the rejecting first.

He also seems to routinely blame the person he's rejecting... he does this with Jack (lake scene), Alma ("once burned")  and Cassie (seeming resentment over Carl... "looks like I got the message in any case").

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:15:10 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 01:41:31 pm »
I think you have to be able to love and accept yourself, before you are able to fully accept someone elses love for you. I do not thnk Ennis fully accepts himself, until the very end when he discovers the shirts.
The other factor is that you need to be shown love to be able to love.I am not convinced that the young Ennis was ever shown much love, or indeed ever witnessed it.How then would he ever be able to respond to the love of anyone,difficult enough with Alma, which he would at least understand as being the "norm" but almost impossible to respond to the love of Jack.
I will go off and think some more now.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:00:05 pm »
Great questions, Chrissi!

I agree that this is a pattern.  But I would separate Ennis's "rejection" of Jack from the other examples you stated.  While it's true that some of the same factors are in play (fear of abandonment, low self-esteem) the psychological trauma he suffered at age nine when his father took him to see Earl's mutilated body is the overriding issue in that relationship that isn't present in the others.

I agree with Amanda that it is a defense mechanism against rejection. I think it's also a part of the "lesson" his father taught him about dealing with K.E. when he was six.  Get him before he gets you. 

I think abandonment is a huge issue with Ennis  - and one of many reasons why the "I wish I knew how to quit you" line was so utterly devastating to him.

I'm not sure I agree that young Ennis wasn't shown much love.  I always had the impression that Ennis was shown love by his mother.  He dredges up a memory of of his mother during the dozy embrace - a moment when he seems to act on impulse in a gentle, almost maternal manner - humming and rocking and using his mother's words.  In the ss we also see that he doesn't have a problem with saying how much he loves his girls - he tells Jack twice - once in Alma's presence and once at the motel.  Recognizing and admitting that he loves Jack - another man - that is what his mind rejects.    I do agree that he did not love or accept himself and didn't feel he was worthy of receiving love from others. 

Lots to think about...

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:24:27 pm »
I agree that this is a pattern.  But I would separate Ennis's "rejection" of Jack from the other examples you stated.  While it's true that some of the same factors are in play (fear of abandonment, low self-esteem) the psychological trauma he suffered at age nine when his father took him to see Earl's mutilated body is the overriding issue in that relationship that isn't present in the others.

Yes, I agree that Jack presents a special case... somewhat different from the female love-interests that he rejects.  The way I'd phrase this, is that Ennis's rejection of Jack or his continual urge to push him away or hold him at arms length (but *not* under any circumstances to break up with him following the reunion) is a manifestation of really complicated internalized homophobia.  And, this homophobia that he's learned from his father and the Earl incident and which he directs at himself and Jack comes into direct conflict with his fear of abandonment and his very really and vital love for Jack.  So it's a constant tug of war for Ennis.

I absolutely agree that some of Jack's turns of phrase in the lake side argument probably really, really pushed Ennis's buttons in terms of the abandonment issue.  The "quit you" line and the "I did once" probably sent Ennis spinning into a lot of deep seated fears about being abandoned by Jack, who is pretty undeniably the most important relationship in his adult life.

Like Jack, I think the question of Ennis's rejections of Junior's desire to live with him is a special case... separate from how Ennis deals with his romantic relationships with women.

I think Junior and his rejection of Junior's urge to come live with him presents other issues, which honestly I don't fully understand.  Clearly this standoff-ishness with a child is very different from rejecting a lover (male or female).  The one clear reason why Ennis might do this is because he wants to always be free to run off with Jack, when those special opportunities come up.  And, he may be partially right, that his work really might make it impractical to try to be the primary caregiver to a teenage daughter.  But, there may be more complex, emotional reasons too.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 11:44:38 pm »
simplistically, Ennis rejects others because Ennis rejects himself.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 12:18:39 pm »
I totally agree with EVERYBODY. Ennis's issue of 'abandonment' is one of the main themes/morals of the movie. It shows what can happen if you let your fear of abandonment and rejection of get in the way of the desire to be happy and being in love without feeling guilty.

Ennis had that problem and it was eating him up. All because of the mess he's been put through as a child and while growing up, he felt that in order for not to get hurt inside by someone who has rejected him, he rejects them first before going any further. Of course, it only makes the situation(s) worse when that happens. And it's like you guys said. It's not that he didn't love any of the people that were in his life. It's just that inside, he was broken. And he has been broken for so long that it's becoming even more and more unbearable. And since he was broken, he really didn't know exactly how to cope with it and it became really difficult for him to 'function'. Of course, he has low self-esteem and doesn't think he's worthy. He always had that feeling that he hates himself and feels guilty about something he did which he shouldn't do to himself. That's why he was never the one to be in a completely commited relationship because of that. Even Jack, Alma Jr., and Cassie were pretty worried about him.

But, who could blame the poor guy? He had an assholish father and his life was gloomy.

And if I may continue on about his situation with Jack:by the time Jack had died and when the end of the story/movie rolled on, Ennis went from broken to completely shattered. He realized that it was too late. His Jack wanted to desperately spend the rest of his life with him and be happy but Ennis wasn't really ready for that and as usual, was afraid. He wanted to reject the offer to leave with him but he never wanted to reject Jack.
And I personally believe that the famous final line,"Jack, I swear...," was in a way, some form of promise mixed with an apology to Jack. It's like he's saying that he'll make the memory live on and at the same time saying sorry to him for not giving him the chance to really show him how much he loved him when he probably should have. It was a mistake that he deeply regreted and now was going to cherish his memory for comfort.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 09:55:23 pm »
Very nice post, Gabreya.

Do you think Ennis would take Jack's mother up on her invitation to come back and see the Twists again?

"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 10:05:13 pm »

Somehow I really doubt that Ennis would go visit Jack's parents again.  On the one hand Ma Twist's offer almost sounds like simple politeness (but not necessarily really meaning it), but on the other hand we get the sense that she's so lonely out there and so affectionate towards Ennis and what she seem to understand about his importance to Jack it's possible that she might really mean it.

But to me, regardless of whether she really meant it, it just doesn't really seem to be within Ennis's character to go back.  I feel like it took so much courage and determination for Ennis to go there in the first place... I just don't think he would put himself through that again.  Plus, I feel like that one visit provided him with the closure he needed... at least the closure he needed as far as Lightning Flat was concerned.  I think he realizes that th ashes will never come into his possession and I'm sure he would dread another encounter with Old Man Twist.  I feel like, for Ennis, the discovery of the shirts really supercedes the issue of the ashes by the time he leaves the house.

I feel like in his rejection of Jack (living with Jack) he cheated himself out of the opportunity to have a new mother-figure in his life.  Ma Twist, I feel fairly confident could have become a very good figure in that regard in Ennis's life if he'd given her and Jack the chance.  By the time of Jack's death and the end scenes of the film, it's really too late for that I think.  As much as Ma Twist is lovely and sympathetic to him, it would be awkward to try to build a "son-in-law" type relationship at that late stage.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 10:33:57 pm »
I do NOT see Ennis rejecting persons close to him; on the contrary !