Author Topic: TOTW 22/08: Do you think they kept each others postcards?  (Read 18821 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 22/08: Do you think they kept each others postcards?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 11:21:38 pm »
I tend to agree with Fran.  Ennis was just so closeted about the whole affair. Plus he seemed so utilitarian.  The trailer at the end of the movie, did it have anything sentimental (photos of his daughters) other then Jack's shirt?  It seemed most sparse.  I think Ennis thought Jack would always be around. Why keep a postcard when you see him every six months?? Ennis probably regrets not keeping the postcards though or whatever other things that would remind him of Jack.

And their wives. Lureen doesn't seem like the type who would go poking around and asking questions unlike Alma who checks up her husband's fishing equipment.

But, I think Ennis's shrine to Jack in his trailer closet is very sentimental.  And, he even goes so far as to include a postcard.  He's so thoughtful about that little shrine... reversing the shirts, straightening the postcard when it's not quite perfectly aligned, etc.  I agree that in his outward life, Ennis is very pragmatic, but he seems to really have a side that's surpisingly sentimental (if that closet is any evidence) and his desire to linger so long in Jack's Lightning Flat bedroom also seems to indicate he has a sentimental side.

I think Ennis is very sensitive.  He likes to touch and caress things (the tent ties after TS1, the first postcard from Jack, all the things in Jack's old bedroom)... He also seems to love to smell things... Jack's shirt, Junior's sweater, etc.  I think this sensitivity betrays another side of Ennis.  And, I recall one interview with Heath where he talked about his belief that Ennis was particularly sensitive to light.  To me, this general sensitivity is an interesting underbelly to the rough-tough exterior facade Ennis likes to present to the world.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 12:29:55 am »
But, I think Ennis's shrine to Jack in his trailer closet is very sentimental.  And, he even goes so far as to include a postcard.  He's so thoughtful about that little shrine... reversing the shirts, straightening the postcard when it's not quite perfectly aligned, etc.  I agree that in his outward life, Ennis is very pragmatic, but he seems to really have a side that's surpisingly sentimental (if that closet is any evidence) and his desire to linger so long in Jack's Lightning Flat bedroom also seems to indicate he has a sentimental side.

Yes.  But I'm thinking Ennis was only able to show his sentimental side after Jack was dead, when it was essentially too late for the great love of his life, long after those postcards had been discarded.  I think finding the shirts in Jack's closet in Lightning Flat was his wake-up call, when it finally sank in that he and Jack could have had a life together or that he should have at least been brave enough to give it a try.  As that old song goes, you don't know what you've got till it's gone....

But I do feel that it certainly would have been a nice touch if both Jack and Ennis had somehow managed to save all of their postcards because, even though they were written cryptically and didn't contain expressions of their feelings for each other, they were, nevertheless, tangible proof of their relationship.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 06:54:49 am »
No......I dont think they would have, because men dont usually save things like that. Even with the shirts, as wonderful as that was, it was quite a bit out of the ordinary for a man to be so sentimental as to keep those shirts.  In fact, I dont think this has ever been discussed, but I wonder when Jack went back to his folks place after sheepherding on Brokeback, did his mother get his clothes out to wash and  ask about the blood on the shirt, and Jack maybe told her about Ennis, and it was her who hung the shirts in the closet........(maybe thats another thing that could be discussed here).

On the other hand, maybe Jack did keep some postcards from Ennis, and that is why Laureen was so snarly with Ennis when he phoned after Jack died.  Maybe she had found them and that is how she worked out that Jack and Ennis were more than "just friends".

I definately dont think Ennis would have kept them, not before Jack died anyway.....he was just too scared and paranoid........but that all disappeared after Jack died when he hung the shirts and a postcard on his closet door.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Fran

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 08:39:41 am »
No......I dont think they would have, because men dont usually save things like that. Even with the shirts, as wonderful as that was, it was quite a bit out of the ordinary for a man to be so sentimental as to keep those shirts.  In fact, I dont think this has ever been discussed, but I wonder when Jack went back to his folks place after sheepherding on Brokeback, did his mother get his clothes out to wash and  ask about the blood on the shirt, and Jack maybe told her about Ennis, and it was her who hung the shirts in the closet........(maybe thats another thing that could be discussed here).

Sue, I think this would make for an interesting discussion topic.  Why don't you PM it to Chrissi in case she misses it in this thread.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 09:11:08 am »

Much as my sentimental, overly romantic self would love to say "Yes," I suspect "No" is closer to reality. Why? Because in the short story, Ennis visited Higgin's Gift Shop and "busied himself with the postcard rack," to purchase the postcard he tacked to the inside of his cupboard door. If he had kept one of Jack's original postcards, he wouldn't have had to purchase the postcard from Higgin's Gift Shop after Jack's death. He would have tacked-up one of Jack's own  postcards. As for Jack, I don't believe he would have risked keeping such personal items in his marital home (Lureen seems to me to be the type of wife who'd go through Jack's pockets), which is why he kept the shirts at Lightning Flat. Perhaps Jack kept Ennis' cards at Lightning Flat, but I doubt he'd want his mother to come upon them when cleaning. Cold hard reality. Breaks my heart to vote "No."  :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Fran

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 10:09:34 am »
Much as my sentimental, overly romantic self would love to say "Yes," I suspect "No" is closer to reality.

Very well stated, Kerry.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 10:20:48 am »
Because in the short story, Ennis visited Higgin's Gift Shop and "busied himself with the postcard rack," to purchase the postcard he tacked to the inside of his cupboard door. If he had kept one of Jack's original postcards, he wouldn't have had to purchase the postcard from Higgin's Gift Shop after Jack's death. He would have tacked-up one of Jack's own  postcards.

I beg to disagree. Ennis didn't buy just any postcard, or any postcard with a mountain scene, he wanted a postcard from Brokeback Mountain. Linda Higgins ordered it especially for him. So even if he had had cards from Jack (with Texas themes), he still might have wanted one from Brokeback.

But for the records, I also voted 'No'. I'll explain later.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 02:00:06 pm »
I think Jack yes and Ennis no cause if Ennis did save postcards he would have
hung one of Jacks with the shirt?

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 02:07:53 pm »
Sue, I think this would make for an interesting discussion topic.  Why don't you PM it to Chrissi in case she misses it in this thread.

Didn't miss it ;D (and additionally got a PM from Sue). Thanks for bringing it up and suggesting it, Sue and Fran. I will make it a TOTW soon, so hold your horses on that one ;).

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 05:17:01 pm »
I voted yes for both of them, but I agree Ennis would be more likely to keep them after the divorce.

In the movie, one of the screw up is you see a crumpled envelope above the post card where he writes "You Bet.", like he is copying the address off of it. Upon leaving the post office he puts this it in his shirt pocket. He could have hid his post cards in the glove box of his truck, or over the sun visor. Jack could have done the same thing but I think he had an office, maybe a drawer that could be locked.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."