Author Topic: 20 Easy Ways to Cut 100 Calories  (Read 6092 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
20 Easy Ways to Cut 100 Calories
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:13:08 am »
20 Easy Ways to Cut 100 Calories

Cutting 100 calories (approx 400 kilojoules) from your daily diet could see you losing almost five kilos (approx 11 pounds) a year – painlessly. Here’s how to use it and lose it.

1. Burn It

Strap a pedometer on and hop to it. About 2500 steps of brisk walking will burn 100 calories.

2. Clock Watching

Every hour on the hour, get up and move around for five minutes.  Do some squats, push-ups ad even some sit-ups, or just walk around before having a stretch.

3. Season’s Eatings

Try eating fruit in season – and if you can get organic fruit from the farmers’ market, even better. A lush, ripe raspberry kicks the butt out of a Tim Tam any day.

4. Why Wait?

Every time you have to wait (on hold, in a line), move it. Do calf raises, or squeeze your abdominal muscles or glutes.

5. Try being a Stripper

Skin a serve of chicken after cooking – it’ll stay moist and you can strip off 150 calories.

6. Don’t Clear your Plate

Make an effort to leave three of four bites on your plate. And if you’ve got kids, make sure their leftovers go straight into the bin, never into your mouth.

7. Sweet Enough

Three teaspoons of added sugar contains around 48 calories – couldn’t you do without them?

8. Do the Car Wash

Washing your can by hand with a bucket and a sponge will help save water and burn calories. Washing vigorously for 30 minutes will burn 100 calories and shine up your car.

9. Upwardly Mobile

When you go for your daily walk, choose a route that includes some hills; you’ll burn calories even faster.

10. Dietary Diary

Putting your food intake in writing will make you think twice about that extra snack.

11. Crunch Bunch

Top your salad with diced celery rather than dried croutons.

12. Stair Crazy

If it’s there, climb it. Stairs are your best friend for calorie burning and help tone your legs and butt.

13. Friday on my Mind

Make one day a week your treat time. You’ll enjoy that chocolate or wine spritzer (half wine / half sparkling water – half the calories) so much more when you’ve looked forward to it for a week.

14. Shrink-size Me

When you have a chocolate treat, make it a fun-size bar rather than a regular, or, heaven forbid, king size. You’ll get the sweet burst you’re craving without the excess calories.

15. Go Green

Adding a pile of green veggies to your plate will fill you up with fewer calories than carbs or protein.

16. Love your Lunch

Bring lunch from home rather than eating out or getting take-away is an easy way to keep a close eye on your calories.

17. Choose your Poison

Never waste a calorie on substandard food. Before you go to a party, fill up with a bowl of soup, and only eat the foods that really appeal to you. Don’t let anyone guilt you into eating a mouthful – there’s no need to say “I love you” by scoffing a large chunk of cake!

18. Getting Fidgety

We’re all told to stop fidgeting when we’re kids, but now you have permission to take it up again. Don’t keep still! Wriggle your toes, tap your feet, shake your whole body about – the more you move it, the faster you’ll lose it.

19. The Lighter Side

Use low-fat yoghurt instead of sour cream, sauté onions and garlic in a splash of white wine and not oil, choose tuna in spring water rather than oil.

20. Clean Scene

Cleaning your house can help you burn calories, and if you maintain good posture you’ll get double benefits. Use a bit of elbow grease and get your house clean the old fashioned way – 20 minutes of work will burn 100 calories.

Tell us your tips!

Courtesy of Sydney’s Sunday Telegraph Body & Soul magazine.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: 20 Easy Ways to Cut 100 Calories
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 03:20:39 pm »
Brush your teeth after dinner.

Most people brush before going to bed.  I find that if I bruse immediately after dinner, I'm reluctant to snack, as I've already brushed for the night.  Instead of something to eat, I'll get a bottle of water.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 12:20:37 am »

Most people brush before going to bed.  I find that if I bruse immediately after dinner, I'm reluctant to snack, as I've already brushed for the night.  Instead of something to eat, I'll get a bottle of water.

That's a great idea, Chuck. I'll try it.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 05:38:39 pm »
good tips.. will need to do some of them.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 09:25:01 am »

I have a friend who for years after dinner has cleaned the kitchen, started tomorrow's breakfast porridge in a small crockpot, prepared and packed tomorrow's lunch to take to work, filled a big bottle of water for the evening, and then walked out of the kitchen, turning off its light and saying out loud, even if she's the only one there, "Kitchen's closed." 

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 11:43:38 am »
Come live my life, the stress will have the pounds falling off !!!!!

Seriously though, be wary of low fat foods, such as yoghourts, they often have nearly the same calories as ordinary yoghourt because of sugar etc.

Swap ordinary soda for diet.

Coffee drinkers watch how many you have, even with 2% milk. I am a terrible caffeine addict and was amazed when I measured my milk intake in coffee. It added up to one big gulp of calories.

Portion sizes are deceiving as well. I measured a cup of cereal and it is about half what I would normally give my kids !!!

Chewing gum always helps me. I have been tempted to pick since I have been going into the store each day.I am surrounded by food. If I chew gum, I can't stand the taste of food afterwards so that works for me.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 12:16:22 pm »
Swap ordinary soda for diet.

Or better yet, water or tea. Recent research has found a correlation between diet soda and weight gain. I don't think they've figured out why -- is it psychological? chemical? -- but it gives one pause.

Offline optom3

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 01:29:42 pm »
Or better yet, water or tea. Recent research has found a correlation between diet soda and weight gain. I don't think they've figured out why -- is it psychological? chemical? -- but it gives one pause.

Maybe it is a bit like the the sugar crash after something sweet.It keeps you happy for a while, but then the crash where you crave something sweet again. It has to be part psychological though, because there is no insulin involved with diet drinks.

I have to drink gallons of fluid as the tablets I take really dehydrate me.So I drink all sorts.I am not good with just plain water.Wish I was, as it would be so much cheaper and better for me.!!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 01:57:18 pm »
Maybe it is a bit like the the sugar crash after something sweet.It keeps you happy for a while, but then the crash where you crave something sweet again. It has to be part psychological though, because there is no insulin involved with diet drinks.

Yes, I think it may be something like this. Or maybe it's related to a similar finding that people who think they're eating "healthy" foods, low-fat or low-sugar or whatever, tend to consume more calories than those eating regular food.

I have to drink gallons of fluid as the tablets I take really dehydrate me.So I drink all sorts.I am not good with just plain water.Wish I was, as it would be so much cheaper and better for me.!!!

Have you tried it with a slice of lemon or lime? That jazzes it up a bit. And drink water that's been put through a filter, to eliminate off-flavors. Preferably from a metal or glass container, because these days there are questions about plastic bottles. Another possibility: carbonated water, also with a citrus slice or mixed half-and-half with juice.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 03:22:02 pm »
Try to have your highest calorie intake at lunch time, and have a light dinner. You burn more calories during the day.

Another tip that works for me is if one day you eat too much because you had a dinner party or something, eat light the next day and go out to do some exercise.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.