Author Topic: Getting in Touch With Your Feelings About Brokeback Mountain  (Read 33337 times)

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
Re: Getting in Touch With Your Feelings About Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2006, 02:17:20 am »
Rayn,
thank you for your lovely post.  But you must understand the story is not mine.  I read it on Imdb and posted it here because I thought it poignant and wonderfully relatied to this site.  I have no doubt your thoughts would be of comfort to the man who wrote this... I only know his name is Bob.  And I do believe he is genuine.

--Kudz

Oh, Sorry for the misunderstanding; I didn't catch that, but I see now. Thanks for letting me know.  Perhaps, if you know Bob, you can pass along my sentiments. 

Peace,
Rayn

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2006, 12:41:53 pm »
Hey, my first proper, grown-up post on this board. Been reading some threads and you people seem like a fine group of human beings  ;D. I shared my story on the IMDB board and I wanted to share it here too, because in a strange way BBM has been a comfort to me and the situation I find myself in at the moment. I still can't quite fathom why, but watching it makes me feel better, like true love really does exist and I'm not imagining all of this. So here goes. This is my story...

It was late 1990. I was 22 and had just moved to a new town with my fiancé, to a new house together. He was in the forces, so I was used to the long, long absences and kind of leading a double life – one with a partner and one without. I was a faithful partner, in love, and never even thought about other men. So I busied myself building a social life, and joined the local amdram group – my other passion. Jacob was 20 and had been going to this group for years – he was born and raised in the town we’d moved to – but I don’t remember the first time I saw him, although he says he does very clearly. There were so many people there in that wonderful, warm group, and he was one of many friends I made there. I remember, though, the exact moment I fell in love with him as if it were yesterday.

Jacob was in a play touring the amdram festival circuit and I went along with some of the group to support him. We’d grown to be good friends over the 18 months or so I’d been there, but something physical happened to me that night – I was watching him acting his little heart out and suddenly felt like something had squeezed my chest until I couldn’t breathe. Excuse me while I get all melodramatic and say it was like a thunderbolt (you can stop laughing now ;-)) and I sat there wondering what just happened. I suddenly wanted to rush up on stage and hold him and never let him go. (Just to clarify - at this point my relationship was in some real problems and my fiancé was away on a lengthy absence.) After the play was over I chatted with him and the rest of the group in the bar and then made my excuses and left, but before I left the building, and I swear to God this is true, I felt a pressure on my back turning me round and nudging me back to him, where I hugged him and kissed him on the cheek and said “You were wonderful”. We looked at each other, smiled, and I left. Years later he said it was one of the magic moments of his life – it was for me, too.

At the next amdram meeting the next week we were standing behind a kind of ‘bar’ type thing in the rehearsal room and watching the rehearsal and chatting and I felt him slip his hand in mine – behind the bar so no-one could see. Someone came over to chat but I couldn’t hear – someone had turned the sound down on the world and all I was aware of was his hand in mine. Just for a minute, and then he let it go.

Things carried on as they had before for a few more months. My fiancé came home, and went again. We met every week at the amdram group and acted like friends - no more hand holding, but lots of smiles.

Then we directed a play with the youth group together, which meant that between us we took all the kids home after each performance. One performance evening one of the parents offered to help out with the transportation, which meant that I travelled in Jacob’s car, and after dropping off two kids we had one left, and us. My house was nearest, “I’ll drop you off first” said Jacob, “that’s okay, drop Nathan off first – it’s late” I replied with no idea of what I was doing. A pause. “Okay then”.

We talked in my kitchen, coffee went cold, I put music on (the song that became our song) and tried to make my freezing house a little warmer. We sat at opposite ends of the sofa, then moved closer, then hugged each other for what seemed a lifetime, neither knowing what to do but neither wanting to let go. Then we started giggling, and you can guess the rest…

My fiancé came back that weekend, and we ended it. No surprise to either of us. We had to stay together in the house because neither of us could afford to keep it on our own, but he went away for another long spell and Jacob and I were together openly for one blissful month. He said “I love you” and I said “I love you too”, we made youthful plans and talked excitedly about the future, but a month was all we had. My fiancé came back, we were living separate lives but together in the same house, he tried to persuade me to give it another go, but I was too young and inexperienced to know how to handle the situation – I told him “no” but couldn’t be mean, and that’s what it would’ve taken to stop him asking. Jacob couldn’t handle it, said he’d met someone else, and I remember as clearly as if it was yesterday, us sitting at the top of the stairs, both in tears, and me saying “I know I’ll never love anyone else this way – you’re it for me” – and I was right.

So that was it for the next few years – my ex-fiancé eventually moved out. Boyfriends came and went, Jacob’s girlfriends came and went, we remained friends – sometimes emotions spilling over into a quarrel when we’d fight like cat and dog and then not speak for weeks. I met someone and moved away, he moved abroad to work, and we kept in touch by occasional letter – sometimes old emotions spilling into the words.

He moved back to Britain and I got married. I remember us meeting for the first time for over 2 years about a month before my wedding. He asked me if I was happy and I said that yes, I was. Sometimes it’s easy to get being happy and having a comfortable and drama-free life mixed up and believe they’re the same thing. Jacob came to my wedding and, so I was told by a mutual friend, cried all the way home afterwards in the back of a car. It kills me that I didn't know what he was feeling and I wasn't there to comfort him. My husband was a wonderful man, we were comfortable together, but of course it was doomed. Over the next few years I got the occasional letter from Jacob and we even met once, but I was faithful to my husband and to our commitment together, so we remained good but very distant friends. Then, in 2000, Jacob and I spoke on the phone and got into a massive fight. I can’t even remember what it was about now, but it was serious enough for us to tell each other to go to Hell and mean it. I got rid of all the letters, photographs, deleted his address and phone number, got rid of any trace of him from my life. The anger carried me through a couple of years, my husband and I divorced, and eventually I met someone else – not THE ONE, but again, comfortable.

Time passed, and I wondered from time to time what had happened to him, if he was okay. Then last summer I watched a film double bill at my local arts cinema called ‘Before Sunrise’ and ‘Before Sunset’, and something just clicked in me. I got in touch with my old drama group and they told me he had got married and they hadn’t been in touch for ages, but they gave me his email address. Married… well that felt like a kick in the guts, so I thought best to leave it alone. But 2 months later I still couldn’t let it go, and I sent a very short and tentative message asking how he was and what he was doing. A reply almost straight away told me that he was now a teacher (so am I) and was divorced.

So in the last few months we’ve been writing a little and met for the first time in about 7 or 8 years, 16 years since we were together. It’s still the same, for both of us, as if the intervening 16 years never happened. We talked all evening, hugged goodbye, and he walked away… then turned around, came back, held me and kissed me on the cheek just like I’d done all those years ago. I’d already made the decision to move back if I could find a job – to be nearer to my elderly parents and closest friends – and had also already decided to end my relationship before Jacob and I even met again. He’s in a relationship too at the moment, one that is comfortable and easy, but wants me to be near him. He says it feels like fate to him, that all this has happened now of all times. I hope I can find a job there, I hope I can move back and find some peace at last, I hope that chain that links us and won’t let us quit each other will also guide us back to the place we’re meant to be.

Thanks for reading, it’s helped me to get it all out. BBM entered my life just when I needed it x
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 12:47:41 pm by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2006, 08:53:54 am »
Wow saucycobblers, what else can I say but wow.  How would you define your relationship with Jacob?  It's a very unusual situation isn't it?  Neither of you sound overly concerned about being apart or with other partners, as long as you know each other is there.  Do you love each other so much that it's too much to be together, and what could it possibly mean to be "too much in love"?
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2006, 10:48:17 am »
Thanks for sharing your beautiful story, saucycobblers.  I can relate very well to that to a large extent.  I've been happily married for sixteen years, but my husband and I both know we are not the loves of each other's life.  But I don't think of either of us as having settled - we both are exactly what the other needed in the time and place in which we met, and we both still are.  I remember the day I met The One like it was yesterday.  I felt the lightning bolt the moment I looked into his eyes.  I felt a similar one the night I met my husband a year and a half later and looked into his.  In my husband's case, I remember consciously thinking, "I'm going to marry this man."  It wasn't a hope or a fantasy - it was just the recognition of a fact, like the way you recognize you've found a lifelong friend when you click with someone platonically.  I never thought that with the first one - somehow I knew that what we felt was almost too intense for that.  We never were friends.  Not truly.  The chemistry we had was primitive - animal.  Yet we couldn't stand each other as one person to another.  When you connect with someone both physically and cerebrally as you have with Jacob - that's a combination that just cannot be denied.  And I can totally understand how you can go for years apart and still feel that connection.

I count myself as extremely fortunate to have been struck by love's lightning not once but twice.  I know many are still waiting for that first one.

And now, away from my favorite subject - me - and back to you.  ;)  Welcome to The Club.  You're among friends here.
No more beans!

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2006, 02:10:54 pm »
Thanks for your kind words, both of you. You have no idea how much of a comfort they are. I think I've always used film as a kind of therapy and had a particular film that's helped me through tough times. A few that I've watched obsessively at different points in my life are (and they're an eclectic bunch!) 'Saturday night Fever', 'Distant Voices, Still Lives', 'Bridges of Madison County' and, presently, BBM of course! I can feel a thread coming on...

Wow saucycobblers, what else can I say but wow.  How would you define your relationship with Jacob?  It's a very unusual situation isn't it?  Neither of you sound overly concerned about being apart or with other partners, as long as you know each other is there.  Do you love each other so much that it's too much to be together, and what could it possibly mean to be "too much in love"?

Oh Chris, my relationship with Jacob has been one long saga of Bad Timing - capital B, capital T. When I've been single he hasn't and vice versa. To my knowledge there hasn't been a single period when we've both been single! And a huge dollop of pride and stubbornness on both parts has got in the way more than once, and in the blink of an eye 16 years has gone - quite frightening really. I guess the best way to decribe it would be to say (sorry for the corniness  :-\) that when I'm with him it's like coming home - things just feel right in a way they don't with any other person. To use a fabulous Annie Proulx quote, "There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs and distant from tame ranch dogs barking in the dark hours. They believed themselves invisible". Wow, what a writer...
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2006, 04:01:31 pm »
I *love* that passage, Saucy.  And I totally relate to that feeling of coming home.  Oddly enough, my very first serious boyfriend was the only one I've ever had that particular feeling with.  But I remember it well.  Ours was a problem of timing, too, I think.  We were both just way too young - I was 16 when we first started dating and 20 when we broke up - and had too much ahead of both of us to make a go of it.  Yet we came together after a two-year absense when we were 22 and 23, and it felt just like the way you describe.  I honestly think that if we were both free 10 or 20 or even 30 years from now and met up again, it'd still feel that way.  We could very well end up being the high school sweethearts who meet up again in old age and marry that you hear about from time to time.  Yet I can go for days and weeks at a time without even giving him a thought.  Hmmm...
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2009, 06:41:39 pm »

Bumping this very old, classic thread for bump-fest. 8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2009, 10:22:36 am »
I'm so glad you did -- that was such a moving story about Kyle and Mike.  Thank God the parents reconciled with their son; if they hadn't, their past with their son would have died as well (that's about as clear as I can make it....)