Author Topic: The what if thread  (Read 11820 times)

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
The what if thread
« on: June 04, 2006, 10:23:15 am »
What if, Jack had stopped his truck and turned around instead of driving away?
What if, after 4 years, they decided to live together?
What if, Jack isnt really dead?( a long shot I know but I thought I,d throw that in anyway)
Any more what if,s anyone?

As this is the anything goes thread I thought I,d start this. Apologies if it,s been done before btw.  I just thought of it.  Life is full of what if,s isnt it?  I,ve got plenty myself.
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The what if thread
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 10:37:40 am »
What if, Jack had stopped his truck and turned around instead of driving away?
What if, after 4 years, they decided to live together?
What if, Jack isnt really dead?( a long shot I know but I thought I,d throw that in anyway)
Any more what if,s anyone?

As this is the anything goes thread I thought I,d start this. Apologies if it,s been done before btw.  I just thought of it.  Life is full of what if,s isnt it?  I,ve got plenty myself.

I know you're reading fanfic, Jane. Don't you think all of these questions are answered (many multiple times) in various stories? I mean, my story is basically your first question...except it starts one month later (not having Jack turn back)...but still, it is my take on what would happen if Ennis said yes after the divorce. "Human Interest" by MadLori is also a take on that scenario.

"A Better Idea" has them getting together after the fight at the lake.

And there are a bunch (can't tell you the names offhand because I am not really reading them) that have Jack not really being dead, Ennis nursing him back to health, etc.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 12:48:59 pm »
Yes I know a lot of those questions have been answered, it,s was just me thinking out loud really about what would have happened in the movie.  Didnt mean to start an argument or anything.  I think I,ll give up starting new threads, always ends in disaster, like the film. :'(
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 01:39:44 pm »
No worries Jane.    You hit the whole theme of a classic Greek tragedy right on the head.    The "What if" scenarios are what symbolizes a doomed happy ending.

There are so many "What ifs".

What if Alma had confronted Ennis and Jack when she saw them kissing?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 01:48:10 pm »
Yes I know a lot of those questions have been answered, it,s was just me thinking out loud really about what would have happened in the movie.  Didnt mean to start an argument or anything.  I think I,ll give up starting new threads, always ends in disaster, like the film. :'(

Don't give up, Jane, I didn't mean to discourage you. It is just the questions you picked actually have been considered...at length...in discussions and fanfics. People might not jump on the bandwagon for discussion, that's all...but jeez, I am not Queen, who knows, I may be completely wrong. LOL
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 01:51:58 pm »
I got some:

What if Ennis hadn't sent Jack away when he showed up after the divorce?

What if Ennis had let Jack comfort him after he accidentally caught him in the nose during their angry tussle?

What if Jack had told Ennis it was his parents' ranch he had it in mind for them to have the cow and calf operation on?

Worst of all:  What if this movie had never been made?   :o   :o   :o
No more beans!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 07:39:17 pm »
What if they had more time together on Brokeback that summer and did not have to get down earlier?  Would the extra time together convince Ennis that he should stay with Jack instead of marrying Alma?

What if Jack hunted Ennis down before Ennis and Alma had kids, not after 4 years?

What if Jack told Ennis that he would leave Ennis the last time that they were together?  Would Ennis change his mind at that time?

Or what if the short story is adapted by other screen writers, directed not by Ang with a different cast?

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 07:53:43 pm »
Jenny-

I appreciate this thread because I've always wondered what if Ennis had a second chance. What if it turned out that Jack was not, after all,  dead. What if Ennis found this out, say, 6 months later. Would his mind-set have changed sufficiently to make different choices? Everyday I think we are given opportunities to change our lives but don't necessarily pick up on those choices. I wonder if Ennis would. It would so compound his tragedy if he didn't...

Heathen

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 09:52:33 pm »
Jenny-

I appreciate this thread because I've always wondered what if Ennis had a second chance. What if it turned out that Jack was not, after all,  dead. What if Ennis found this out, say, 6 months later. Would his mind-set have changed sufficiently to make different choices? Everyday I think we are given opportunities to change our lives but don't necessarily pick up on those choices. I wonder if Ennis would. It would so compound his tragedy if he didn't...

Ruby,

You mean Jane, right?   :)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 11:53:54 pm »
Jenny, Jane, Jerry-whoever will listen to me  ;D

yes, sorry-JANE

O0