Author Topic: Paper Bags  (Read 8616 times)

Offline whiteoutofthemoon

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Paper Bags
« on: June 04, 2006, 08:53:43 pm »
I'm presuming this has been discussed before, but as I'm new here, thought I'd chime in with a new thread and my take on the topic. 

The first time I saw the movie, I was immediately struck by the opening scene in which Ennis gets off the truck with a paper bag in his hand.   No suitcase, no duffel bag...just a solitary paper bag containing what he needs to work that summer.   Very poignant and humble, reflecting not only his poverty, but the simple life he came from.   

But this scene represents one of the several bookends in the movie.   When you first see Ennis, he is carrying the paper bag, the wind is blowing, and he is looking somewhat aimlessly around.    then flash to the end of the movie at the Twist house.   This is the only other time that you see Ennis with a paper bag.    Why in the world would Mrs Twist insist on putting the shirts into a paper bag?   Ennis folds the top of the bag down in the exact same manner as the opening scene, and as he steps out of the house...you see him carrying the paper bag, wind blowing, and Ennis looking aimlessly around.   

Two bookends, with the paper bags......his life began with Jack, his life was over with Jack's demise. 
"They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.  Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the whiteoutofthemoon."

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: Paper Bags
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 08:56:10 pm »
Or, each time all his worldly goods-all that he owned-were in the bag.

O0

Heathen

Offline whiteoutofthemoon

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 08:58:46 pm »
Or, each time all his worldly goods-all that he owned-were in the bag.

O0

Right...the first time, all that he owned was in the bag...the second time, all that mattered. 
"They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.  Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the whiteoutofthemoon."

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 02:44:17 am »
I also think that it was a beautiful gesture on Mrs. Twist's part of offering a bag. She showed that she understood the meaning of the shirts to both Jack and Ennis. We put things in bags, not just for easy carrying but to also protect them from outside elements. By putting the shirts in a bag, she showed that she felt the shirts, and thus the love between the boys and the memories of that love, is important enough to be protected.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 03:11:37 am »
I get a chance here to say again that when Ennis and Mrs. Twist put those shirts in the bag together, it's the only true funeral Jack gets, from the two people who love him most.

Offline Karan13

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Fun loving open minded the future Mrs Depp or Gyll
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 08:51:04 pm »
lovely thoughts,
                      So sad to see Ennis leaving the Twists house , he looks so lost and alone , he rolls up the bag slightly and clings on to it , to all he has left of Jack. lovely.

I think Mrs Twist also puts them in the bag away from Jacks dads glare , so Ennis can take them away and treasure them without any hurtfull comments.

xx kaz    :'(
It`s not the breaths you take , it`s what makes you lose one !

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 07:33:55 pm »
Darn it.  You all just did it to me again.   :'(

No more beans!

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 07:50:10 pm »
Right...the first time, all that he owned was in the bag...the second time, all that mattered. 

Aw, hell, I thought I was done crying.

whiteoutofthemoon,
You didn't say much, but you got your point across,
 beautifully.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

moremojo

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 08:19:56 pm »
Beautiful topic, brimming with lovely, heartfelt expression throughout the thread. The tears are really flowing again, more than I've had in quite a few days. My heart is raw, yet open...to love, to experience, and to the burden of memory. Paper bags, dirty shirts, the recollection of a bean-can spoon...little details, infused with such power and poetry. How can a story, a film, an artifact prostrate me with such grief and love? Amazing...

:'(
Scott

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 01:33:13 pm »
So sad to see Ennis leaving the Twists house , he looks so lost and alone , he rolls up the bag slightly and clings on to it , to all he has left of Jack. lovely.

I think Mrs Twist also puts them in the bag away from Jacks dads glare , so Ennis can take them away and treasure them without any hurtfull comments.

Beautifully put, Karan.

I also notice that when Ennis first come down holding the shirts and walks through the kitchen, he moves them slightly away from Mr. Twist, protectively.