Author Topic: "Fixer" or "Stander"  (Read 14690 times)

Offline DecaturTxCowboy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: "Fixer" or "Stander"
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 06:31:07 pm »
If it ain't broke...don't fix it.  Look whut happened to AT&T.

One of they Rules of Life to live by...

If it moves and not supposed to - duct tape it
If it don't move and supposed to - WD-40 it.
Take it like a man - steady and strong, not a lot of fuss and carring on.  True to a promise, I can ride in any storm.  So bend over and take it like a man...Too much of a good thing is a good thing.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 08:14:55 pm »
No vote as there wasn't a happy medium.

I'm a stander until I can't stand it, then I fix it and that can be sooner or later.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 10:17:57 pm »
No vote as there wasn't a happy medium.

I'm a stander until I can't stand it, then I fix it and that can be sooner or later.

I was tempted to add a few options like "fixer with occasional stander tendencies" and "stander with occasional fixer tendencies."  But, Ennis doesn't give us - or Jack - a choice like that in the movie.  According to Ennis's motto you have to be one or the other.  And in his world/ mindset, really, if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it. 
:-\
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:53:29 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 11:18:11 pm »
I was tempted to add a few options like "fixer with occasional stander tendencies" and "stander with occasional fixer tendencies."  But, Ennis doesn't give us - or Jack - a choice like that in the movie.  According to Ennis's motto you have to be one or the other.  And, really, if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it.
 :-\

There are always options.  Ennis was his own jailer.  HE kept himself chained.  Jack kept trying to tell him he had more than one option, but he didn't buy it.

Ennis had options.  He just didn't believe he did.

gattaca

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 11:38:11 pm »
Definietly a fixer. Life's too short.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 11:46:46 pm »
There are always options.  Ennis was his own jailer.  HE kept himself chained.  Jack kept trying to tell him he had more than one option, but he didn't buy it.

Ennis had options.  He just didn't believe he did.

Yes I know.  Still, for this poll I want to play by Ennis's rules.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:51:10 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 05:21:26 pm »
Yes I know.  Still, for this poll I want to play by Ennis's rules.

I'll play by those rules.  :)

I think that my being a fixer falls in line with the way I make decisions.  I *cannot* stand to be in the middle of making a decision of any significance, whether it be to take on a new project, change jobs, move, have a child, buy a car...  I feel much better once the decision is made than when I'm in the process of it.  Which is not to say I make decisions impulsively.  But I weigh my options and the possible pros and cons of each, pick one, and run with it.  The downside of this is a little inflexibility, I guess.  Once I've made that decision, I *really* don't want to change it.  But I'm willing to if further data becomes available that makes the other choice the better one.

I think of people who have difficulty making decisions as "having a decision-making disorder."  Comes from some movie - I can't remember which.  Close friends who are like that drive me nuts.  Invariably, they ask me what I'd do.  I think about it a minute, tell 'em, and they go, "Yeah, but what if..."  Oh, good GOD.  JUST MAKE A DECISION!!!

No offense to anyone here who finds themselves in that category.  Some of my best friends have a decision-making disorder.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:30:37 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 08:21:00 pm »
Thats a good question!  I'm definetly a fixer! 

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 02:23:31 pm »
I think about it a minute, tell 'em, and they go, "Yeah, but what if..." 

This is me.  I'll resist the title "Decision Making Disorder" and accept "Decision Making Delay."  Gotta be prepared for that maybe potentiality.  I have been decluttering my house lately, and have recently faced how many things I've previously had trouble letting go of were for "just in case" eventualities.   "What if we have a house full of people and the heat goes off?  I must keep many unused blankets."  (And we live in a relatively mild climate.)  (And how often do I have a house full of people staying with us?  Rarely.) 

I also feel much better after having made the decision, but knowing that doesn't mecessarily speed up the process.  I FINALLY bought the new lawn mower I've been researching, researching, yesterday.  I haven't even used it yet (it's charging, 'cause it's cordless), but I already feel better.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 02:30:56 pm »
This is me.  I'll resist the title "Decision Making Disorder" and accept "Decision Making Delay."  Gotta be prepared for that maybe potentiality.  I have been decluttering my house lately, and have recently faced how many things I've previously had trouble letting go of were for "just in case" eventualities.   "What if we have a house full of people and the heat goes off?  I must keep many unused blankets."  (And we live in a relatively mild climate.)  (And how often do I have a house full of people staying with us?  Rarely.) 

I also feel much better after having made the decision, but knowing that doesn't mecessarily speed up the process.  I FINALLY bought the new lawn mower I've been researching, researching, yesterday.  I haven't even used it yet (it's charging, 'cause it's cordless), but I already feel better.

Now, see, I wouldn't classify you as having a Decision-Making Disorder from this description.  Putting in the proper research before making a major purchase or making a life change is one thing.  But I have a couple of friends who belabor *every* single decision, finally make one, and then once they see it through (e.g., use that lawn mower for the first time, drive the new car home, move into the new place), they regret it.  Never fails.  GAH!!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 02:42:39 pm by Ellemeno »
No more beans!