Author Topic: Favorite lines from Proulx's story- an Ode to TOB  (Read 12806 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Favorite lines from Proulx's story- an Ode to TOB
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 07:37:55 pm »
That pretty much sums up how they saw each other their whole lives. In order to get by, Ennis reduced Jack to a small dot in his consciousness. Ennis was the fire that drew Jack back to the mountains year after year.

Wow, that's a really interesting way to think about this metaphor.  Yes, even on Brokeback they spend an awful lot of time separated and either coming or going from each other.  I feel like a large percentage of the interactions we see between them on Brokeback have to do with them either greeting one another or saying good bye as they head to the sheep. Sure, patterns certainly were established early on.

Here's my quote for the day...

- "... they torqued things almost to where they had been, for what they'd said was no news.  Nothing ended, nothing begun, nothing resolved."

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 12:20:25 am »
All the ones mentioned belong to my favourites - I was pondering which one to choose but I better get a move on here! I'll go with this one, more down-to-earth, less lyrical than the previous ones, but the only one that I really, really miss in the otherwise perfect movie:

That's one of the two things I need right now.

I'm positive Jack said that in the movie. He had just taken a swig from the whiskey flask. I remember seeing him say that...
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline redilirvi

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 03:32:05 pm »
I've been a lurker and occasional poster on IMDB, but this is my first post on BetterMost.

Here are two lines from the prologue to the short story. The first one gives me a warm, comfortable feeling:

...yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

The second one always brings tears to my eyes, even if I just think about it:

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

P.S. to Stitchbuffyfan: Jack does not say "That's one of the two things I need right now" in the movie. I wish he did, because it expresses that they continued their physical, sexual relationship for years.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 10:59:37 pm by Noguchi_LM »
"That's one a the two things I need right now."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 04:04:54 pm »
I love those two lines, too, Noguchi_LM. I think that was where the story hooked me. Because that's the way it feels to wake up thinking about something and to try to hold onto it. And the implications...

(Welcome. :) )
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline redilirvi

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 06:03:30 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, Nakymaton.

I've had similar sensations when I awake...I sometimes lie in bed and think about my late partner, and just remembering him, his smile, our experiences together, gives me a sense of calm, knowing that I had someone who loved me.

Jack
"That's one a the two things I need right now."

Offline whiteoutofthemoon

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 12:13:35 am »
The line in my signature below.   Says so many things about their relationship, that it definitely was not just built on lust.    I think it's actually something that a lot of people feel and experience....not just an issue of love, but of friendship.   You ever spend quality time, just with a good friend, male or female, and had just the best conversation, and you didn't want that conversation to end?   And when you leave, you just feel great, because you know you have this true friend, someone you trust as much as your own sibling, and because you have this friend, you feel like you can conquer the world?  This was so much more profound for Ennis, knowing that he has led a lonely and harsh upbringing, parents died at a young age, really no close friends at all, and finding a new friend when he leasts expects it.   It was before the affair started and hence a really pure period of true friendship...I really dig that.     the movie was awesome, but this is one thing I wish Ang Lee could have expounded upon...that is, showed them in this scene having this really long conversation where they each opened up, and saw how much each one earned the other's trust and respect.   The one scene we did get was the one where ennis opens up about his parents.....great scene, but wish it could have been longer.
"They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.  Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the whiteoutofthemoon."

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 05:56:14 pm »
As I am sure happens with many other devotees, my favorite line changes occasionally.  Lately, it's been ...

[i]"They were no longer young men with all of it before them."[/i]

For me, this emphasizes the duration of their mutual longing, the length of their individual suffering in their separate lives, that their trips had truly become a way of life for them, and the idea that Ennis had better get himself together sooner rather than later if they were going to be able to live out their love on a more satisfying basis.  Little did they know how little time they actually had left together at that point.  This line also emphasizes for the the absolute waste of potential happiness that they experienced while Jack was still alive.  (Sigh.)
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline beeple

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 06:15:07 pm »
... it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong...

and then it all begins..

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 08:49:46 pm »
It's so exciting to see new post-ers showing up on this thread!  Welcome everyone.

alec716, you're right almost every time I think about the story my favorite lines shift around.  So, today I'll post another one of my favorite fun lines and one of my favorite sad lines (lately I've been gravitating to the sad moments a lot).

I LOVE this motel moment... 
[Ennis to Jack] " 'S***. I been lookin at people on the street.  This happen to other people?  What the hell do they do?'   'It don't happen in Wyomin and if it does I don't know what they do, maybe go to Denver,' said Jack..."
 :D

And, this has to be one of the most amazing ways to end a story ever...
"There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it."

Whenever I watch the movie and hear Ennis say "if you can't fix it you've got to stand it" I feel like I'm listening to Ennis impose this as a life sentence on himself. 
 :'(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 09:14:20 pm »
"There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it."

What are people's interpretations of this line?  One of my sadder thoughts in this regard (far be it from me to keep my misery voice to myself!  :)) is that pehaps Ennis "knew" (or assumed) that he would never have let his life with Jack escalate to the level of living together, but that he tried to believe that he would have done so if Jack had lived.

If this is OT and belongs elsewhere, just let me know.  thanks.
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."