Author Topic: Tor! Tor! Tor! Tor!!!!! The World of Soccer  (Read 101339 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Re: Tor! Tor! Tor! Tor!!!!! FIFA World Cup 2006
« Reply #290 on: July 09, 2006, 07:10:10 pm »
You'd never see Thierry Henry do that, at least I don't think so  :-\.  But then I am Henry-biased  ;D.
What a shame for the youths in this country for whom Zidane represented so much (and I'm sure we're gonna hear some awful comment from our National Front, the French fascist/neo-nazi party, who already commented in the past on the "colour" and "origin" of our players! Starting tomorrow I'm sure).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 07:33:56 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #291 on: July 09, 2006, 07:29:10 pm »
Some impressions!   :)

World Champion of all Fan Miles: Berlin!!!   :D

Offline opinionista

« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2006, 08:23:00 pm »
WELL DONE ITALY

Even though the French team didn't exactly lose the match  :-X

But OMG! Whatever happened to Zidane? Did any of you in your country get the explanation? Because we didn't. We can take a defeat, as after all they went all the way to the final - which not many people expected - but we are just so puzzled at the way Zidane hit the Italian player! My German partner says there's an awful lot of racism among the Italian football/soccer players, and that that Italian player must've been extremely offensive in a racist manner for Zidane to behave this way. Any hint anyone ?

Apparently Zidane's reaction wasn't Materazzi's fault. He lost his temper, that's all. When they were struggling for the ball, Materazzi grabbed Zidane from behind, but didn't hurt him, more or less hugged him (can't really describe it). And Zidane was pissed off about it. They got into an argument, and he hit Materazzi with his head.

That was so unfortunate. I went to the Real Madrid Cafe Bar, at the Bernabeu (Real Madrid's football stadium) to watch the game with my italian friends. More than half the people there were rooting for France because of Zidane since he's a Real Madrid player (well was until recently). I think we were practically the only ones rooting for Italy.  When Zidane lost his temper and hit Materazzi for no apparent reason, the bar went silent. No one could believe it. My italian friends were disappointed. They wanted Italy to win but they admire Zidane. Some are Real Madrid's fans. It was a very sad scene.

I was rooting for Italy, but I think Zidane is an excellent football player and sport figure. It's very  unfortunate he couldn't control his temper. I feel sorry for him.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 08:27:44 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #293 on: July 10, 2006, 03:39:28 am »
Party time in Italy!   :)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #294 on: July 10, 2006, 06:05:07 am »

Despite his red card in the final, Zinedine Zidane was elected "Best Player" of the World Cup by journalists!   :)

Most successful striker of the tournament: Miroslav Klose with five goals!   :-*

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2006, 06:33:00 am »

France in shock and disbelief:   :'(

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #296 on: July 10, 2006, 07:04:59 am »
Yes, in disbelief at Zidane's attitude  ???
He was elected best player before the end of last night's match, I think. And yes, he did/does play very well  :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 05:12:46 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #297 on: July 10, 2006, 11:58:47 am »
And yes, he did/does play very well  :)

Definitely!

Today we are all a bit sad because our beautiful, crazy, giant costume ball is over...  :'(
What remains are the memories and (hopefully!) the Teamgeist! By the way, somebody has created a new word for what was going on here during the last four week: partyotism! 
:laugh:   

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #298 on: July 10, 2006, 12:17:09 pm »
Aww, I love your pics, Anke! Germany definitely did a fantastic job of the whole hosting of the world cup  :).

And today, reading Time Magazine, The New York Times, and CNN breaking news, I was amazed at the support they showed the French team and even Zidane, not pointing the finger in spite of the deserved red card! They (CNN) even went as far as to say that Materazzi ,who got head butted, played dirty throughout the world cup, and that Zidane had tried to bring the referee's attention to the fact the Italian players were always hampering the French players in a way that wasn't fair play - but he was just told to play on - and so Zidane's temper boiled over in a way it shouldn't have. They said too the Italian player must've said something offensive. I hope we find out in the end. They also implied that it was a shame Zidane had done that, otherwise France would've won. I don't know about that, but it was heart-warming to read it from the US press ;)
We were very unlucky too to lose Henry and Vieira, 2 excellent players. But that's life.
Thuram was unconsolable, it broke my heart to see him crying so.
Still, the whole country addressed a huge THANK YOU to the whole French team, for the fabulous moments they made us live (and they don't have to face any court of justice... :-X)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 01:10:15 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline opinionista

« Reply #299 on: July 10, 2006, 12:55:23 pm »
Zidane incident UPDATE

There are rumors here in Spain that Materazzi did use an italian expletive to provoke Zidane. He allegedly called him "terrone". I don't know what it means, but I'm told is a very offensive term in italian.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.