Author Topic: Tor! Tor! Tor! Tor!!!!! The World of Soccer  (Read 100327 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Re: Tor! Tor! Tor! Tor!!!!! FIFA World Cup 2006
« Reply #310 on: July 10, 2006, 05:34:35 pm »
I hope he is not remembered by that foul.
I hope people look beyond that mistake he made yesterday.

J'espère que Zidane sera remémoré comme l'excellent footballeur qu'il est !!  :)

Lovely, Milli  ;)
Yes, he will be remembered for the moments, years, of sheer happiness and pride that he gave us and especially many youths here. :) I think deep inside we can't help thinking "he shouldn't have done it, but hell, he is only human!". And we still love him.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Giancarlo

« Reply #311 on: July 11, 2006, 12:15:40 am »
I am not going to argue with you.  I am not interested in accusing you of anything ..lol
All I am saying is that its easy to say "Ignore it" if someone makes a racist or nasty comment, but its not that easy.
And nope, I dont have evidence that you punch out people (that was not my point), but verbally, you dont let anything slide..do ya?  That's what I was saying.

I am not supporting what Zidane did.  I can see him losing his temper  if he was insulted ...
I am not a violent person at all, but there are times I am ready to fight with someone if they are racist or call me a name ..

I would of told the guy "to shut up" and not comment on me like that, but I do not go around physically assaulting people. I don't let anything slide and I go after people who attack me. I do not assault them. For one, you don't even know what was said. So there is your first assumption. Zidane kicked a player in the past in 1998, and was red-carded for it.

You are ready to fight someone physically if someone is a racist or calls you a name? Wow, you must have a long police record of assault, if that is the case. I keep it to words.

Remember the saying: Sticks and stones break my bones, but words never hurt me.

Cliche I know.. but applicable.

Unfortunately Zidane will be remembered for that foul. I personally wanted Del Piero as the best player in the cup.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #312 on: July 11, 2006, 12:28:44 am »
Still no word on the excat exchange, but here is an article about the incident, probably some rumors too.
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ap-wcup-zidane&prov=ap&type=lgns

Here is part of that article:
But lashing out is nothing new to Zidane, who grew up playing on concrete in an impoverished immigrant neighborhood of Marseille, where fouls and insults are met with instant retribution.

Perhaps he could never shake off that you-or-me mentality.

"You can take the man out of the rough neighborhood, but you can't take the rough neighborhood out of the man," striker Thierry Henry said Sunday.

At this year's World Cup, where Zidane sat out one match for getting two yellow cards in the first round, he sent a message to his teammates. In a rare television interview, he said, "We die together."

Even with the fuol, Zidane is still widely appraised by his teammates.

Zidane's teammates had all wanted to help him to one last trophy. Failing that, they refused to kick him when he was down.

"For all that Zidane has done for the national team, you have to say 'Thank you and well done,"' said striker David Trezeguet, the only player to miss his penalty kick in the shootout.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #313 on: July 11, 2006, 11:17:10 am »

You are ready to fight someone physically if someone is a racist or calls you a name? Wow, you must have a long police record of assault, if that is the case.

:laugh:.  Thanks for the laugh!

Unfortunately Zidane will be remembered for that foul.

Speak for yourself!  (Well you do that already, rather arrogantly if I might add.  So I think you got that covered.)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #314 on: July 11, 2006, 01:40:51 pm »

The Italian night of celebration:   :)

Giancarlo

« Reply #315 on: July 11, 2006, 02:56:19 pm »
:laugh:.  Thanks for the laugh!

Speak for yourself!  (Well you do that already, rather arrogantly if I might add.  So I think you got that covered.)

Well it doesn't matter... we still won and we deserved it! 24 years waiting to win again... 24 years of blood, sweat and tears... this was a hard fought battle. We were just barely beaten in 1994, but we came back.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #316 on: July 11, 2006, 03:31:04 pm »
Some more pictures to add to Anke's splendid collection so far!!
You gotta love the emotions!   :D

You gotta love the game!!  :D
Bravo Germany for hosting World Cup 2006!!  :D

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 04:04:13 pm by Lucise »

Offline opinionista

« Reply #317 on: July 11, 2006, 07:12:21 pm »
Well it doesn't matter... we still won and we deserved it! 24 years waiting to win again... 24 years of blood, sweat and tears... this was a hard fought battle. We were just barely beaten in 1994, but we came back.

I have a question: Where are you from? I'm confused. I thought you were from Spain. (I know your name is italian, but still)
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Giancarlo

« Reply #318 on: July 11, 2006, 10:01:41 pm »
I have a question: Where are you from? I'm confused. I thought you were from Spain. (I know your name is italian, but still)

I'm half Spanish/half italian. The Spanish always do poorly in the cup.. so I don't really cheer them on.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #319 on: July 12, 2006, 07:15:32 am »
I'm half Spanish/half italian. The Spanish always do poorly in the cup.. so I don't really cheer them on.

Spaniards in general feel like you do. They think the national team is embarrassing. But this year they were playing better, compared to other years, and people were excited about it.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.