Author Topic: My Dad is gone.  (Read 9307 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: My Dad is gone.
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 09:17:02 am »
Thanks, Optom, and everyone else for the shingles advice.

Don't worry - I went to my dermatologist right away - actually, I coincidentally had an appointment scheduled with her to discuss what I should do about the arthritis in one of my hands that I think was brought on by my psoriasis (geez - do I sound like a Hypochondriac Extraordinaire, or what???).  The shingles first reared its ugly head just a few days before that appointment.  So I am currently taking an anti-viral (Valtrex) to keep it from spreading.  Nonetheless, it has traveled up my leg to my thigh since it started about a week ago.  I hope it's pretty well contained by now.  Mercifully, it's not anywhere near my face (knock on wood) and is only affecting the one leg.  It does indeed hurt like hell, though, especially at night.  I take the Excedrin every 4 hours, and it wakes me up after about 3.5 to tell me it's time to take it again.  What a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation.  Still, I'm fortunate - I know people my age who have had to be hospitalized for it because it was so widespread and nothing short of I.V. pain meds could keep the searing pain at bay.  It really feels like a burn wound - I can't imagine feeling that all over my face and neck...

This is what happens to all us Ennises out there who internalize everything.  Sooner or later, something's gotta give.  In my case, when it does, it seeps right out of my skin.   :-\
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: My Dad is gone.
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 09:28:21 am »

Hi Barb,
Thanks so much for checking in here and updating us on how you're doing.  Lots of us here are certainly thinking about you.

I'm sorry to hear about the shingles.  :(  My grandfather really struggled with shingles for a long time, and certainly remember how unpleasant that condition is.

And, sorry to hear about the family drama on top of the grieving you're all going through.  I'm sure you're right in suggesting that time will hopefully begin to make things a little easier.

{{{Barb}}}

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie