Author Topic: Who Loves Fish?  (Read 79476 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Who Loves Fish?
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2006, 08:06:32 pm »
Look out Celeste, David, Katherine, and everyone...my poll on Ennis's stone biscuits comes next!!

After the fish tacos on Saturday, stone biscuits actually might taste good! ;)

I'm scared of dinner tomorrow night... :o
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2006, 10:34:59 pm »
I just thought I would let you all know that fish tacos are actually pretty good! :)

We lightly fried some catfish strips and put them in taco shells with some lettuce and tomatoes. I also put tartar sauce on one of them, and hot sauce on the other one.

It was really good. We are going to have fish tacos again next week! :D

God, I can't BELIEVE I like fish tacos! :o

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2006, 10:37:49 pm »
That's great to hear. There's one thing tho. Re-read the part in the recipe where it says, don't even THINK about substituting lettuce for cabbage!!
When you see the smiley face in the sky, the pandemic will be over!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2006, 10:48:20 pm »
That's great to hear. There's one thing tho. Re-read the part in the recipe where it says, don't even THINK about substituting lettuce for cabbage!!

I didn't even see that recipe! Uh-oh! Our fish tacos weren't anything like that! ???

Well, I am going to copy down that recipe and use it next weekend.

Even though I didn't use that recipe, can I still say I've had fish tacos now, or no?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2006, 07:02:20 pm »
I just thought I would let you all know that fish tacos are actually pretty good! :)

We lightly fried some catfish strips and put them in taco shells with some lettuce and tomatoes. I also put tartar sauce on one of them, and hot sauce on the other one.

It was really good. We are going to have fish tacos again next week! :D

God, I can't BELIEVE I like fish tacos! :o

Absolutely. Variations on the theme still count.

I'm so glad to hear you liked them, David. You would eat them in a box and you would eat them with a fox and you would eat them on a plane and you would eat them in the rain and ...*

(* Lest I sound completely ridiculous, let me note that I'm paraphrasing Dr. Seuss.)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2006, 11:21:09 pm »
Absolutely. Variations on the theme still count.

I'm so glad to hear you liked them, David. You would eat them in a box and you would eat them with a fox and you would eat them on a plane and you would eat them in the rain and ...*

(* Lest I sound completely ridiculous, let me note that I'm paraphrasing Dr. Seuss.)

Hehe. I love Dr. Seuss. But I wonder if he ever ate a fish taco? Green eggs and ham maybe. :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2006, 09:41:03 am »
Just a few tips here...for best results, whip up the batter a few hours before, or even the night before. Then it is all fluffy and bubbly when you need to use it. For Celeste's benefit, I would like to say that I have actually made these tacos with tofu instead of fish and you can hardly tell the difference! Okay, now back to carnivorousness. I have found that both peanut oil and vegetable oil work just as well for frying the fish. But don't re-use the oil; that doesn't give you optimum results! Corn tortillas work better than wheat and cabbage better than lettuce. I like both hot sauce and tartar sauce or mayo, and for the perfect coupe de grace on top, a squeeze of lime!!
When you see the smiley face in the sky, the pandemic will be over!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2006, 11:56:39 pm »
That sounds perfect. You are the master. And maybe a sprinkling of cilantro?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2006, 12:21:11 am »
Just a few tips here...for best results, whip up the batter a few hours before, or even the night before. Then it is all fluffy and bubbly when you need to use it. For Celeste's benefit, I would like to say that I have actually made these tacos with tofu instead of fish and you can hardly tell the difference! Okay, now back to carnivorousness. I have found that both peanut oil and vegetable oil work just as well for frying the fish. But don't re-use the oil; that doesn't give you optimum results! Corn tortillas work better than wheat and cabbage better than lettuce. I like both hot sauce and tartar sauce or mayo, and for the perfect coupe de grace on top, a squeeze of lime!!

Thanks Front-Ranger, I am  going to make fish tacos again this weekend, and I WILL do it correctly this time! :)

And I don't even like fish. NOBODY will EVER talk me into eating Nieuwe Haring again though. The tail was sticking out of my mouth! :P They didn't cut it up. I guess you have to ask them to do it first. :(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:28:57 am by David925 »

Offline Midnight24

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Miss Princess
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2006, 12:26:09 am »
Fish tacos...that sounds interesting. Never heard of them before, though. I'd have to try that sometime...hope they'll taste good.  :laugh:
~*One kiss...and bam...you're mine*~
Total and Complete Jake Lover!!!